PDA

View Full Version : IE 8 Launched today.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Jan 2009, 05:31
Anyone been using the beta version? Verdict please.

Bushfiva
27th Jan 2009, 06:17
It's a release candidate today, not the final product.

IE8 has a couple of nice features: accelerators (the ability to highlight a word or phrase and perform some action on it, such as translation), and colored tabs: spawned tabs are the same color as the parent window. Webslices are also interesting: you can, say, subscribe to part of a website and track changes. The address bar is still a little behind FF3. Zooming seems to retain the page layout slightly better in IE8. Quick Tabs works very well, especially with the ability to save/reload tab groups, etc.

In comparison to FF3? Maybe a slightly better experience out of the box. I've got IE8 on some machines, FF3 on others. I don't really care one way or the other.

green granite
27th Jan 2009, 06:51
It causes a few hicups in windows 7 but it isn't too bad, It's microsofts atempt to emulate Firefox and is getting there.

green granite
27th Jan 2009, 08:03
Incidentally, has anyone successfully added any add-ons into 8 in windows 7? Nowt seems to happen for me, and, if Firefox is set as the default browser, when I click on get more add-ons in IE8 it opens FF. :confused:

Parapunter
27th Jan 2009, 08:34
Has seven lost that default apps & progs thing then? Maybe it's the Eu gittin all uppity with MS again?:confused: