PDA

View Full Version : Duxford 2009 September Air Show

Trojan1981
27th Jan 2009, 01:52
G'day all.

I am going to be in the UK in September and, of course, would like to see an airshow while I am there. Duxford seems like the best during the period I am there.
I am a little confused, however, I thought there was only one Duxford Air Show but on the IWM website several others are listed. The date of the Duxford Sept show falls on my wedding anniversary:ugh!
With this in mind, what do people think? Is is worth going to or are there better shows to see in Sept? I want to see the BBMF flying and some of the more exotic modern British/European stuff we don't often get in Australia.

Cheers.

Other listed shows for sept:

September
5-6 Duxford, Cambs: 2009 Airshow. IWM's main event of the year. Check out the 2008 show here.
5-6 Cosby, Leics: Victory Show. A victim of 2008's dreadful 'summer', this event combines re-enactments with airshow action.
6 Old Warden, Beds: Shuttleworth Pageant Air Display. Main airshow of the year, if you haven't been yet, there's no excuse...
10 Guernsey, Channel Islands: RAFA Guernsey Battle of Britain Air Display 2009. Location: off St. Peter Port. Offshore free-to-view air display, organised as part of RAFA Guernsey's Battle of Britain Week. The event is supported by a consortium of local businesses, and 100% the donations received during the week pass to the RAFA. The display arena is one of the most picturesque in Britain, with the smaller islands of Sark and Herm as a backdrop. Why not combine a short break in Guernsey with the display?
10 Jersey, Channel Islands: Jersey International Air Display. A free event comprising of both fixed and rotary static displays and a four hour concentrated flying display over the Bay of St Aubin adjacent to the Island capital St Helier. Check out the 2008 show here.
12 RAF Leuchars, Fife: Leuchars International Airshow. Back after a break in '07, they drew the short straw with the weather in '08 - check out the event here.
12-13 Old Warden, Beds: Shuttleworth Festival of Flight Aeromodel weekend. Large-scale R/C models take to the air.
19-20 Kemble, Glos: Kemble Battle of Britain Weekend. Rebranded from the original Kemble Open Days this event plans a flying display over both days with the aerodrome open for fly-in visitors during the morning. More details on the Welcome to Kemble Airport (http://www.kemble.com) events page. Contact [email protected] or 09063 023320
26 Old Warden, Beds: Shuttleworth Sunset Air Display & Meet the Pilots. Last evening show of the year.
26-27 Southport, Lancs: Airshow 2009. One of the North-west's top attractions, RAF participation should be high on the agenda. Check out the 2008 show here.

NutLoose
27th Jan 2009, 03:03
Flying Legends in July is the really really big one but the September show will be good too..... you can spend 2 days at Duxford as the Museum is worth seeing on its own, believe me this lot takes some wandering around Imperial War Museum Duxford > What to see at Duxford (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.55)

you are also near Cambridge which is a lovely University town with its stunning buildings and University, indeed a lot of people stay there whilst exploring Duxford. Visit Cambridge (http://www.visitcambridge.org/) might appease her on her anniversary whilst you get to see Duxford ;)

Other Museums you could see are

Staying in London for a couple of days Imperial war Museum

Welcome to the Imperial War Museum (http://www.iwm.org.uk/)

Hendon

London aircraft museum offers historic family days out - RAF Hendon (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/index.cfm)

In the Midlands

Cosford

Cosford Air Museum West Midlands days out in Shropshire - RAF Museum (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/index.cfm)

especially for National Cold War Exhibition (http://www.nationalcoldwarexhibition.org.uk/)

BBMF

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (http://www.bbmf.co.uk/visitorscentre.html)

you will take pot luck as to what is in, they also post a display itinery on the site, but the 2009 one is not yet up. The Station is also a Typhoon base.

Shuttleworth is also impressive and a good show......... A bit like Rhienbeck ? in the USA with a lot of rare ww1 and earlier types,as well as Spits.

Leuchars is a good show when I have been but a long way up, though if you plan to do Scotland it's not that bad, you are also near St Andrews Golf course if you follow that and the Fourth Bridge, as other notable sites.

I will have a think of anything else I can come up with.

GeeRam
27th Jan 2009, 07:46
I want to see the BBMF flying and some of the more exotic modern British/European stuff we don't often get in Australia.

In that case, the last remaining RAF Battle of Britain show at RAF Leuchars on the 12th is the only one to go for on that list.

JEM60
27th Jan 2009, 08:00
Duxford Airshows are unique. If you miss it, you WILL regret it. Fabulous place, with the best Airshow flying in the world, as often stated by American Airshow Pilots.

GeeRam
27th Jan 2009, 09:25
Duxford Airshows are unique. If you miss it, you WILL regret it. Fabulous place, with the best Airshow flying in the world, as often stated by American Airshow Pilots.

That's certainley true of Flying Legends in July.

However, we're talking about the Sept IWM show which is very different, and given the OP's preferences of 'wish-list' to see, Leuchars is still the best bet IMHO.

effortless
27th Jan 2009, 10:59
Wedding aniversary; may I suggest that you book into the Chequers in Fowlemere for an excellent evening meal after the show. I think that you can get a room there as well. A very nice pub in a small village. This way you get the airshow for you as your anniversary treat and you get to wine and dine the missus for hers. Not too far from Cambridge to Dux either. loads to do for romantic weekends there too.

AndoniP
27th Jan 2009, 12:05
Trojan

Are you flexible on dates at all? If you can make it to Fairford instead you'll be glad you did.

You want to see modern european stuff, however you won't get many fast jets at these shows.

Duxford however is brilliant. The September airshow is mainly WWII aircraft but the site and exhibits there are second to none. TSR-2, Vulcan, B-52 etc, they're all there. Wonderful place.

The last Duxford September airshow had a handful of jets (Sabre, Hunter, Red Arrows I think), the rest were props.

My advice is to check out the websites of all the shows in the period that you will be here and see which has the best line-up. If you have access to a car then make the best use of your trip and plan museum visits as well - the RAF Museums in Hendon and Cosford, and the IWM Duxford are by far the best. If you don't have a car then travelling from London (or wherever you are staying) to Leuchars may be a long and tiresome journey for you.

If I was here in September then i'd suggest Duxford but you won't see many jets flying about. If you're flexible with dates then try and get to Fairford instead to see some modern loud stuff.

Double Zero
27th Jan 2009, 13:38
The town of Stamford, Lincolnshire is a really, really attractive place, mostly sandstone, not too far from Duxford and maybe more chance of booking a room there while the show is on.

It's also very near RAF Wittering, so although Harriers have moved to Cottesmore I'd guess there's a better than even chance of seeing one or two.

If you're further south during your visit, the large Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Somerset is VERY worth a look ( pot luck if there's anything flying from the naval base ) with Concorde - ok there's one at Duxford too -research aircraft such as BS188, HP115, Fairey Delta, various stages of Harriers & other aircraft, a simulated carrier flight deck with real aircraft of various ages & types, and tons to look at.

There's also Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset if that should take your fancy, I should think the best tank museum in the world, and there's

Tangmere Military Aviation Museum near Chichester, West Sussex ( a very nice town in its' own right, probably of interest to the other half ) - it's a static museum, albeit with various simulators to try a hand at, + world speed record afterburning Hunter, speed record Meteor, Lightning, Hunter F6, Sea Harrier FA2, T-33, Sea Vixen, Phantom, Vampire, extremely good replicas of prototype Spitfire K5054, Spitfire 5C, Hurricane ( you wouldn't know until told ) a Hunter F4 cockpit to sit in, and several days' worth of exhibits to peer at.

Though not aviation, to make the most of your visit Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is very good, with Nelson's HMS Victory ( guided tours around the ship ) HMS Warrior 1860 steam / sail first ironclad - open to public - the recovered wreck of the Tudor warship Mary Rose ( personally think not much to see ) and the Dockyard historic buildings & Naval Museum which are well worth a look.

All this is next to the Gunwharf Quays development full of restaraunts of all types, and the Spinnaker Tower ( I forget the height but let's say b---y high ) which gives terrific views over the harbour & Solent.

There's also the Submarine Museum at Gosport, just on the Western side of Portsmouth.

No doubt others can chip in attractions I've missed - enjoy your visit and have a happy anniversary ( but make sure you go to the show ! ) DZ.

PPRuNeUser0211
27th Jan 2009, 14:02
I'll plug leuchars then! Though they did get stiffed for the weather in 08 they can usually lay on a fairly good show, and there's generally a fairly good mix of BBMF/Civvy warbirds and modern fast pointy stuff. Expect the usual RAF contingent plus a couple of euro-f16s and some serious USAF support. Word on the street this year is that there might be some decent eastern european support as well, believe the czechs turned up with a gripen last year, but word on the street is the Poles are bringing a mig-29 this year (early days yet though!).

Plus edinburgh is close at hand and public transport links are strong enough to not necessitate a car (return from london to edi is about 100 quid with BA and takes about an hour to fly, longer but slightly cheaper on the train) and getting from edin to leuchars on the train is a doddle. book yourself into a nice cosy scots hotel in Edin and have yourself a nice weekend away.

Safeware
27th Jan 2009, 15:19
I'll second all the above comments about Leuchars being an excellent show.

and then to have Scotland to explore! If you're going to travel from Oz, why miss Scotland?

sw

Beatriz Fontana
27th Jan 2009, 17:35
I'll third Leuchars. Regularly take a painless flight up to Edinburgh - even Dundee once - and the show is always superb. St Andrews is a lovely little place to visit as are the numerous distilleries in the local area. Well worth making a long weekend of it.

Double Zero
27th Jan 2009, 18:14
I agree re.Scotland, ( dad was born at Strathdon nr. Aberdeen ) - Glencoe is a must, weather should be safe in September.

I can't help but really strongly recommend the Crown Hotel at Portpatrick, Dumfries & Galloway on the West Coast, near Stranraer.It's a small, cosy hotel, haven't been there for a while so I hope the food is as good as I knew it, only 12-15 rooms so would pay to check first. Looks over a rugged harbour.

We spent many a very happy and well-fed night there while attending the local range - if around that area you may well see some action. The road North from there to Glasgow ( avoid the city itself ) is very scenic, mostly following the coast.

If you're into Golf you'll be in heaven.

I still plug the spots in the South I mentioned as well though, and then there's the unmissable scenery of Cornwall & Devon, especially the Southern Coast - if lucky you might co-incide with one of the Red Arrows coastal displays, but I suspect September is too late - why not start in June leading up to September !

Trojan1981
27th Jan 2009, 22:37
Thanks for all of your replies.
Unfortunatley travel dates are not very flexible. I would love to go mid year but work dictates otherwise. Leuchars sounds good.
Cheers.

PPRuNeUser0211
28th Jan 2009, 08:08
Google tells me that leuchars is the 12th Sept this year, their website is Home (http://www.airshow.co.uk) although it's a bit lacking at the moment, as they're still sorting out their plans I guess!

Out Of Trim
28th Jan 2009, 18:40
Some more Airshow events here:-

UK air events calendar (http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/preview.htm)

Kemble might be a possibilty in September for you 19th & 20th

cheers and all the best OOT.

Blacksheep
29th Jan 2009, 07:00
Sad to say, but there once was a time when you'd be able to see a full-on Battle of Britain air show at any RAF Flying Station in mid-September.

...and there were scores of flying stations, all over the country. :(

rjtjrt
29th Jan 2009, 09:01
Trojan
I'm an Aussie. I worked in UK in the 80's for a few years.
Best airshow was Old Warden - a tiny airstrip om a paddock.
"September 6 Old Warden, Beds: Shuttleworth Pageant Air Display. Main airshow of the year"
Quaint quintiscentially English and amazing. Smell of castor oil. Up close to the aircraft on the line before each on flown. MEMORABLE.
Also went to Duxford and excellent, but not as memorable as Old Warden but it is near Old Warden and you could go to Duxford on 5/9/09 and Old Warden 6/9/09
John
Melbourne

dead_pan
29th Jan 2009, 09:04
The autumn show at Duxford is excellent although not quite as good as Flying Legends. Never been to Leuchars although I've heard it is also excellent. If you arrive in late August you may consider Shoreham - nice show, good mix of aircraft often including BBMF. Don't forget to bring you rain coat and a pair of wellies whever you end up going - September is the start of our rainy season (runs Sept-Sept).

DP

Bill16STN
29th Jan 2009, 11:55
A good alternative which nobody seems to have mentioned would be The Shuttleworth Collection (http://www.shuttleworth.org/Shuttleworth%202009%20Brochure.pdf).

'Tis a magical place especially if you can make it for one of the Saturday evening displays! :ok:

GeeRam
29th Jan 2009, 12:31
A good alternative which nobody seems to have mentioned would be The Shuttleworth Collection.

I think you'll find they did....two posts above yours :ok:

Bill16STN
29th Jan 2009, 14:36
Well they quite obviously slipped it in whilst I was otherwise occupied sorting out my hyperlink - f'nar f'nar :rolleyes:

JEM60
29th Jan 2009, 21:35
Watch the weather forecast a couple of days before the show. If the weather is bad at Leuchars, there is nothing else to see. If the weather turns bad for Duxford, you could still occupy your whole day there amongst the indoor exhibits.