PDA

View Full Version : Flying pay & Pensions

spheroid
26th Jan 2009, 19:22
Is flying pay in the RAF pensionable?

I heard a rumour that flying pay in the RAF is penisionable and yet in the RN/AAC it is not..........is that a good rumour or....a ?????

EdSett100
26th Jan 2009, 20:05
Only Basic Pay is pensionable in the RAF. Flying Pay is Additional Pay, and is paid temporarily while the individual is in a flying related appointment. Clearly, for most aircrew, consecutive flying related tours add up to a career, which was recognised a few years ago when the Professional Aviator Pay Spine was introduced to replace Basic Pay and Flying Pay, for some. The PA Spine is a standalone form of Basic Pay, so it is pensionable and is therefore an attractive pay scale; particularly with the annual increments taken into account before any index linking. It is seen to be divisive because, sadly, not all full time RAF aircrew are on the PA Spine.

spheroid
26th Jan 2009, 20:14
Thanks Guys. I did hear a rumour that because the PA spine was so popular and finacially better than being promoted then many Sqdn Ldrs were reluctant to be considerd for promotion to Wing Cdr and therefore the RAF were not promoting enough of the right people. Therefore the decision to pension flying pay had been taken....... maybe just a pipe dream....?

EdSett100
26th Jan 2009, 20:27
I had heard that there might have been a recent decision to bring the Career Spine rates (paid to Sqn Ldrs with brevets on the greasy pole) in line with the PA Spine, or something like that. I doubt that they would ever make Flying Pay pensionable. Its easier to shape the Basic Pay structure as required.

minigundiplomat
26th Jan 2009, 20:57
therefore the RAF were not promoting enough of the right people

True, but nothing to do with PAS.

Alison Conway
27th Jan 2009, 07:04
This argument has raged for years. Flying pay is considered by MoD as an allowance for the purpose of pension. Allowances are not taxable, and yet they are taxed. Which way would they like it? BOTH WAYS. Those of us who have fallen foul of it would like a) bigger pension b) all the tax back since.......... (a large sum). Do I expect to see it in my lifetime? Only if a govenrment is voted in who respects those who put their life on the line for their country....and I MEAN respect, not just trot out weasel words SAYING that they do.

Mister-T
27th Jan 2009, 08:20
Alison

I am certainly not an expert but isnt Flying Pay an Additional Pay and not an allowance?