PDA

View Full Version : Searchlights - what year were they first fitted to a helicopter

flyer43
26th Jan 2009, 12:12
Hi chaps & chappesses

I've had a question from somebody who had an "experience" in 1958 when they were very young. A lot of noise and wind over their house was accompanied by a bright light stabbing into their backyard. It was thought to be a helicopter at the time, but more recently the seed of doubt has been cast when somebody else advised that searchlights were not fitted to helicopters until after 1960.
Any of you fonts of knowledge have any positive ideas about when the first searchlight was fitted to a helicopter.
As the UH-1 first flew in 1956 I have a hunch that searchlights may well have been available in 1958, but over to you. Let battle commence!

BT

Oldlae
26th Jan 2009, 18:35
Probably a landing light!

flyer43
26th Jan 2009, 20:23
It could well have been a landing light, although the story I heard was that the light was extremely bright and the beam was "swinging around" the back yard.

Brilliant Stuff
26th Jan 2009, 22:57
We can move our landing light with a coolie hat. This could work it depends how low he was.

flyer43
26th Jan 2009, 23:18
Used to use one of those myself on the Super Puma etc, but my question is "when did moveable searchlights or landing lights first get fitted to a helicopter?" I'm fairly certain that they would have been around in 1958, but I was just seeking some substantive support for this idea to pass on.
If searchlights/moveable landing lights weren't fitted to helicopters before the 60's then the person who told me the tale believes they may have witnessed a UFO.