PDA

View Full Version : Interception

PompeyPaul
26th Jan 2009, 08:28
I was just reading through the aviation safety sense leaflets (whilst sipping a Monday morning cup of tea) and came across the one on interception (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srg_07webSSL11.pdf)

Of particular note was this, which I didn't realise:

In order to comply with ICAO standards, the Air Navigation Order includes an item in Schedule 11 – ‘Documents to be carried by aircraft registered in the UK’. This requires that on INTERNATIONAL flights ALL aircraft must carry a copy of ‘Signals for Use in the Event of Interception’. These are detailed in the UK AIP ENR 1– 12.

Whilst flying in Canada I carried these with me, since we were so close to the US border, but I hadn't realised that a jolly to L2K also required carrying these. Is there anything else you ought to be taking with you ? I always carry photo ID as Air Law said I should, an up to date aviation chart as well as aircraft papers. Anything else you ought to be carrying ?

S-Works
26th Jan 2009, 08:41
If you own a flight guide they have the interception procedures in them. We have a laminated version that came from one of the magazines years ago with interception on one side and marshalling signals on the other!

Final 3 Greens
26th Jan 2009, 09:40
Paul

How about the contact details for the British Embassy or Consulate in the country you are visiting?

Rod1
26th Jan 2009, 09:48
I have an a4 flie with all the documents in. The interception stuff can be downloaded and printed so I just added it to the file along with insurance, c of r, permit, c of v, radio licence, w & b etc.

Rod1

BackPacker
26th Jan 2009, 11:54
Since getting stuck with a "computer says no" DA-40 at Duxford, I carry a list of authorized dealers/repair centers/whatever for the plane I'm flying with me on foreign trips.

If you have something traditional like a PA-28 or C172, well, on most fields you can find an engineer who can fix things for you. But for FADEC-equipped engines such as the Thielert you need a laptop with special software and some sort of fancy connector in order to do the diagnosis. Not a lot of those around...

BTW. The signals for interception are also included in the general part of the Bottlang or Jeppessen flight guides. And I'm always updating my kneeboard with stickers containing precisely that sort of stuff. Also CAA landing/take-off distance factors, airspace VMC minima, wake turbulence hold times, marshalling signals, pax brief checklists, volmet frequencies, FIO and MET telephone numbers and so forth.

M609
26th Jan 2009, 16:33
If you put RMK/EMBELLISH in your flightplan you get to pratice the procedures, as well as seeing the slow flight skills of your neighbourhood QRA flight! :) :cool:

Pilot DAR
26th Jan 2009, 18:18
with interception on one side and marshalling signals on the other!

Aren't they realy both the same thing, just one is in the air, and the other on the ground?

Pilot DAR

BackPacker
26th Jan 2009, 18:23
There's no signal for "stop your engine" in the air.:ok:

Floppy Link
26th Jan 2009, 19:53
sure there is.....

one cannon round through the cowling.

:uhoh:

IO540
26th Jan 2009, 20:28
The "required documents" can be quite a list, and varies between G-reg, N-reg etc.

Neither of the two above legally require the carriage of printed charts. If they did, the legislation would be impossible to draft because one can fly internationally, and there are so many charts....

Cusco
26th Jan 2009, 22:57
The most important point is, that unless you have learnt the interception procedures by heart, the correct place for the interception leaflet is not with all the other documents as described above , but in your kneeboard where you can get at it.

You don't want to be scrabbling in the seatback pocket with a Rafale up your chuff when you've just inadvertently infringed a French ZIT.

Cusco:rolleyes:

IO540
27th Jan 2009, 08:41
No, they just burn out your autopilot servos with a missile tracking radar ;) (email me if you want to know more :) )

But yes the intercept procs should be in the cockpit checklist.

Rod1
27th Jan 2009, 10:28
Cusco

I think that depends on the aircraft. In my case I keep the info at the back of the file, and the file can be in front of me and open on the right page in a few seconds. Having said that the procedure is not complex;

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srg_07webSSL11.pdf

Rod1

sycamore
28th Jan 2009, 13:50
M609, or as my co-pilot once replied,inbound to Goose,when asked by ATC if we were happy to play `target``Roger,we`re happy to be `Embezzled`!!`Sometime later after the instruments and console had been cleaned of coffee,curry,old sandwiches,a pair of CF18s appeared for a flyby or three..The controller passed it down the line as well...