PDA

View Full Version : QF10 Heathrow - Singapore

Tom the Tenor
25th Jan 2009, 14:28
She Who Must Be Obeyed, Her Mum(!), brother and myself are on QF10 to Singapore and Australia around the middle of March. This flight leaves LHR at 2200 hours and we were just wondering if this flight is usually on the full side or if it can be on the slack side due to the late evening departure thereby giving us all chance of a few seats together in order to stretch out a little.

Thanks and greetings from Cork!

Skipness One Echo
25th Jan 2009, 17:30
The one time I flew this service it was mobbed, with the lunchtime departure being the quiter one. If you check in as soon as on line check in opens you ought to find some good seats together.

c3pd
26th Jan 2009, 02:42
Hi there, we live in Perth, Australia. If you have four people in your party then you should be able to get the four central seats on the Qantas 747-400. The seating configuration on the plane is three seats next to the window, then an aisle, then the four seats in the middle, then the second aisle, then three more seats on the other side of the plane next to the other windows.

Unless I'm mistaken, or Qantas allows it in the UK, I didn't think you could check-in online for seating on an International Qantas flight prior to Check-In? Call Qantas in the UK to check this out prior to travelling. When you call them make sure that they have the four of you on their system as travelling together, and request a Center Four seating allocation. They can't guarantee it, but it will help your chances of getting four seats together. Of course, the best way to try to ensure that you get what you want is to ask Qantas what time check-in opens for that flight and make sure you get there as early as possible. The fact is that the more people have checked in before you get there the less chance of you getting four seats together.

Next best thing is to ask for two seats together, but with two more seats right behind them (that's if you can't get the four seats together). At least that way you'll be sitting just in front and behind each other....mmm that could mean that "She who is to be obeyed...and her Mother could have the two seats in front!!!

Anyway, if you haven't made the trip before I hope you have a great time...I love Singapore...but for us Limeys it's bloody hot and humid, especially coming from a cold British March temperature! If you are staying over a night in Sing, try booking a hotel on Orchard Road (that's if shopping is important to you, or "her"..as all the main shopping is on Orchard Road). It's about a fourty minute cab ride from the airport but better than trying to get around shopping in hot humid conditions travelling a long way from hotel to shopping centers and back.

TIP: When you get off that 13 hour flight to Singapore, you'll likely wish you had booked an overnight stay in Sing, as the idea of jumping onto another flight to Sydney for 8 hours doesn't exactly grab you by the b---- Something to consider. Going back to the UK, I've always gone right through to London via Sing, just changing flights in Sing, it's easy and seems natural as you usually hit Sing in the evening ans so you're still on track for a morning arrival in London. However, that morning landing in Singapore from London en route to OZ always makes you feel like taking a day out from the journey. You can get some good 1 night hotel deals through Qantas for Singapore too. Check it out if they allow you a stopover in Sing..which I would think your ticket would allow?

Boy it will be just lovely in Australia in March..you wont want to go home!:)

Tom the Tenor
26th Jan 2009, 14:41
Thank you all for the tips. So, it looks like the flight may well jammed as they say in Cork! Yes, we have booked up for the hotel stop in Singapore. SHMBO was in Australia about 20/25 years ago and she says the hotel stop is a must as is a visit to a well know orchid garden. What I want to know is if the Singapore Air Force Museum is worth a visit!

Ultimate destination in Australia is Melbourne after another one night hotel stop in Sydney to meet up with a cousin for a few jars.

Jars & jammed - that's sum up Cork over the last few years of seasons in the sun at Cork Airport.

To be sure it was nice while it lasted.

dubh12000
26th Jan 2009, 16:11
Tom there's a recession on. Should you not be saving up for a wet weekend in Garryvoe.....?

Tom the Tenor
26th Jan 2009, 17:17
Reasonable point but the trip was organised in the middle of last summer just before the recession started when petrol was still Euro 1.37 a litre so a lot of the outlay has all ready been covered. However, it will be sad not to be able to visit wonderful Zurich this year. Zurich, a greater and grander Cork but still so like Cork in so many ways (not the airport I hasten to add!)

Only for a Cork - Zurich flight like there was 25 years ago!

angels
27th Jan 2009, 10:09
Tom - Assume it'll be banged out. Try and get those four seats in the middle.

I lived in Singapore for four years and loved it. A great place to bring a family up. By mid-March the weather will have cleared up and you should get sunshine, but remember you're in the tropics, it can rain at any time!

The RSAF museum is okay, but why not try Fort Siloso — The Sole Restored Coastal Artillery Battery from ‘Fortress Singapore’. (http://www.fortsiloso.com/) It's on the island of Sentosa, easy to get to by cab/bus whatever (or get a cab to the cable car which will take you over). The thing about this is your family can potter about the island while you look at the history.

As with many things Singaporean it's a tad erstaz, but the photos, tunnels etc give you a flavour of what it must have been like. What I loved was that at the end of the tour there's a visitors' comments book and one of the most common entries were complaints about a lack of air conditioning in the tunnels, rooms etc! Singaporeans have become very pampered lah!

If you want any more help, just shout!

Have a great holiday.

CorkEICK
28th Jan 2009, 09:33
From the Qantas website:

International Seating

First and Business passengers can be allocated seats when booking.
If travelling in Economy, your seating preference is recorded at the time of booking and your seats will be allocated upon check in at the airport on the day of travel.
Families are seated together whenever possible.

Also did you book Cork - Lhr ticket separately? If you have one through ticket this means the luggage will be checked straight through to Singapore. Advantage here is you will get the LHR - Singapore boarding cards at Cork check in many hours before check in opens in LHR. Also on arrrival at LHR you just head to security check bypassing check in desks. If you have 2 seperate tickets unfortunately you will have to collect bags in London and go to check in for Qantas.

Have a good trip.

raffele
28th Jan 2009, 12:47
If you are through ticketed it means you're fine should your flight to Heathrow be delayed for any reason...

Tom the Tenor
29th Jan 2009, 23:55
Seperate Cork - Heathrow tickets but going over the previous day. Not taking any chances at all with Cork and the likelihood of low viz RVRs!

Thanks, Angels. Looking forward to the sunshine in Singapore. No matter if it is too hot as long as I have a cap to cover my bald spot. Is it true that after the Japanese occupation of Singapore they released some deadly snakes into the country, the sort that were not there beforehand. I seem to remember some documentary mentioning it. Me with my phobia about snakes remembers these things!

capt.cynical
30th Jan 2009, 01:34
:ugh:Yeah,thats true Tom, Orchard Rd. is teeming with them.
Big emerald green ones, you will be safe if you bring a "Pixie" with you, to frighten them away.:};)

parabellum
30th Jan 2009, 03:01
Lived there ten years, had a garden and never saw one snake in that time.

Globaliser
1st Feb 2009, 16:45
This flight leaves LHR at 2200 hours and we were just wondering if this flight is usually on the full side or if it can be on the slack side due to the late evening departure ...I agree - the reverse, if anything. Late evening tends to be the more popular departure time.

I agree that for four people, the DEFG block in the middle makes most sense.

angels
2nd Feb 2009, 10:46
Tom - I was there for less than parabellum and I never saw a snake either. Don't worry about them.

Now Hong Kong, that's different. Got some nasties there!

Tom the Tenor
2nd Feb 2009, 16:25
Oh, gawd, our return from Melbourne is via Hong Kong where we are staying for a few days. Now, if you are telling me there are snakes of any kind in the area never mind the nastier ones I will be totally freaked for the duration of the stay.

Oh, dear. :{

Pax Vobiscum
2nd Feb 2009, 16:36
There are indeed snakes in Hong Kong, but most of them are on the menu (http://www.12hk.com/LocalColors/snake_soup.shtml) :ok:

angels
3rd Feb 2009, 08:46
Tom - Panic not. The worst of the snakes are in Wanchai.....:E

I assume you'll be staying in the built up areas of Hong Kong. Unless you wander well into the New Territories, or into the grass on Lantau, Disco Bay or something you won't have any problems whatsoever. I promise. :ok:

As Pax's link shows you can get your revenge by eating one of the things, but I can't say I knew of any specific snake restaurants in Hong Kong (lived there for some years as well). In Guangdong over the border, yes, but not Honkers itself.

So, don't be freaked out. Hong Kong is a belter of a place for a few days stopover, and you're going at a really good time of the year as well. Enjoy!