PDA

View Full Version : Air Commodore J Mathews (deceased)

lasernigel
25th Jan 2009, 11:45
Hi all, firstly I would like to clear up any confusion that I might have caused on the "Did you fly the Vulcan' thread. My 'Uncle' was a one "T" Mathews not two as I thought.So any references to "Tiny" are not him.
His daughter is trying to fill in things about his 37yr career in the RAF, and has given me permission to start this thread as she is new to Pprune.
We welcome any input as all information will be passed down to her children and grandchildren.
This is what we 'know' but might not have dates absolutely correct.
He joined just before the war and went to Cranwell.
1958-1960 Stationed in The Hague Holland -- connected with the Dutch Air Force
1960-1963 Stationed RAF Henlow (Cadet College) -- Instructor we think
1963-1965 Stationed in Aden (now South Yemen)
1965- ?? Stationed at Biggin Hill (think on commissioning board)

She remembers being at his wings ceremony at RAF Cottesmore, but due to personal problems was unable to fulfil his flying career.
I heard he was CO of RAF Medmenham and that his last posting was at SHAPE before he retired and got a job with BAe. He later retired to Canada with his wife.
There has been an obituary in the Telegraph of which his wife has a copy. I have tried searching for it but with no success.

As said previously any input will be gratefully received.

NRU74
25th Jan 2009, 20:08
From the Daily Telegraph :

January 26th 2007
MATHEWS (http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/03-Oct-2006/25-Jan-2009/mathews/1/announcement52966.aspx)
Air Cdre Joe Mathews RAF(Rtd), suddenly at home 16 January 2007. Sadly missed by his loving wife Theresa and all his family. Funeral has already taken place in Canada. Donations if desired to RAF Benevolent Fund, PO Box 1, Fairford, GL7 4ZA.
Is this the Joe about whom you are seeking info ?
I think this death notice refers to a Lancelot Ulric Mathews, born British Guiana and his family moved to Canada when he was a child ; he retained a Canadian accent.
In retirement he lived, for a time, in the Ross/Monmouth area
He was at some stage Flight Commander on Beverleys and also, later, OC Ops Valley etc
Two daughters -one called Juanita
Regards,
NRU

lasernigel
26th Jan 2009, 13:00
The date of death is right and so is his wife's name. The other details are definitely not the Joe Mathews we know.
But thank you anyway.:ok: