PDA

View Full Version : CANADA - Training Timelines and Information on Becoming an ATCO with NAV CANADA

AGJ
25th Jan 2009, 10:55
I am looking for information regarding the training programme for becoming an ATCO with NAV CANADA. I have read in depth their website but I still have a few specific questions that I was hoping someone on here could help me out with.

Firstly is the recruitment and selection process an ongoing activity or has it been curtailed in the current financial climate?

Secondly, I am specifically looking for the waiting times from successfully completing the selection process to starting training. At what times throughout the year do training courses start? Is there much of a waiting list currently? The old website stated that VFR Controller training took place at the NAV CANADA training centre in Cornwall, ON but the new website seems to subtlety give the impression that this now takes place at your future tower unit. Am I correct in assuming that VFR Controller training no longer takes place at Cornwall, ON?

Also, where are the majority of successful candidates likely to be posted? Is NAV CANADA recruiting specifically for one or maybe two geographic locations or are there more positions available? What areas, if any, is there a shortage in – IFR Controller of VFR Controller?

After successfully completing the initial training course, and then the subsequent on the job training, are you guaranteed a job with NAV CANADA or can they turn round and say to you thanks but we don’t have a position for you here at present?

Finally, if there are any serving ATCOs currently working for NAV CANADA can you give me a little insight into what you see as the best bits and the worst bits (Canada specific) and also any advice / warnings for anyone considering joining the NAV CANADA team?

Many thanks in anticipation.

AGJ

squibbler
25th Jan 2009, 13:43
Cross Post - answered in ATC forum