PDA

View Full Version : fATPL Distance Learning Conversion Course

B767PL
24th Jan 2009, 16:22
Does anybody have experience with any of these?

I will be converting my FAA to JAA licenses, and plan to finish with a fATPL.

I was looking at Naples Air Center, as well as Phoenix Easts distance learning programs. I have not heard anything about either, and was wondering if anyone has any advise/info on any of these courses.

I am doing the Distance Learning method as I have no other options. I currently have a job, and must continue working it, all while doing this. So this would be the only way for me. Any info would be great. Thanks :ok:

INNflight
24th Jan 2009, 21:09
Exactly the same question I was about to ask sometime.

I will be converting my FAA to JAA licenses, and plan to finish with a fATPL.

I got a FAA CPL ME IR and plan to start my distance learning JAA ATPL theory sometime in 1-2 months, I figured I have to do the conversion after passing all 14 exams, right?

Any help appreciated...! :ok:

mover shaker
26th Jan 2009, 12:53
Go with Bristol Ground School - www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs) if

They are brilliant: Prepare you so well and you can buy their databank of questions which is invaluable for subjects like law!
Oxford not so good in my view - their books are nice but really expensive and contain more information on some subjects than is required. Not necessarily a bad thing but for distance learning, without someone there to talk you through it can make it harder to learn and you will be revising stuff you don't particularly need. The bristol notes are written really well and with the exam questions in mind so definitely give you the best chance.

B767PL
2nd Feb 2009, 16:55
mover shaker,

If you do the DL program with Bristol, where do you take the 14 exams? Do you have to take them in the UK?

INNflight,

I also have CPL ME IR. From what I gather, you do the 14 written exams, then comes the practical (IR done in Europe). Then if you finish with fATPL, which becomes unfrozen once you hit 1,500 hours.

=====================================================

Also, with the current economic enviorment, I am somewhat hesitant about coughing up 3,000$ for a DL program.. then next thing you know the school you signed up to do the DL program with is out of buisness. Is there any protection against something like this happening? Anybody have any information?

Thanks again.