PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba laptop upgrade

stokieboy
24th Jan 2009, 07:44
Dear All,

I have a Toshiba Equium M50-192 laptop. Although it's getting on a bit I'm rather fond of it although it's now starting to creak a bit.
Although I could afford to repace it, is there any way I can upgrade/ add or change any of its components to give her a bit more umph! Or would I be wasting my time and money and be better off with a new model?
It has an Intel Cerleron M processor.

Thankyou!

DC

Bushfiva
24th Jan 2009, 09:28
Well, the CPU's socketed, I believe. RAM's cheap, so are much faster hard drives. I don't think you'd be able to turn it into a screaming beasty, though. I've done the CPU, drive and RAM on my ancient notebook, stretching its life out a bit but probably not cost-effectively. For me, changing the drive from 4200rpm to 7200rpm gave me the biggest single improvement.

Saab Dastard
24th Jan 2009, 13:27
As Bushfiva says, RAM and disk are very easy upgrades, and more RAM will certainly improve things.

Your user manual should specify what upgrades are feasible - i.e. what the max RAM is, and what modules it will accept.

If you haven't got a manual, you might be able to dig something out of the Toshiba website.

It also depends on the OS you are trying to run - I have found that Win2K will work acceptably with a lower spec. than I need for WinXP - and let's not even mention Vista!

SD

timmyneedham
24th Jan 2009, 13:54
Or you could run the machine through Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com) who have a tester and it will tell you whether you can upgrade your ram and the cost.

TN