PDA

View Full Version : Packard Bell Ixtreme 6050 simple(?) question

Cornish Jack
23rd Jan 2009, 12:15
Hi all
Feel foolish asking but I'm stumped.
How does one open the case on the above machine??
It's a plastic(ky) exterior sort of thing and I can remove the front fascia panel and the two side insert panels but I can't see how to get any further inside. There don't appear to be any of the usual screw fixings and, since it belongs to SWMBO I'm reluctant to apply the usual GS screwdriver approach. :eek:
Any thoughts, please - PB Support covers every OTHER chassis type:mad:
TIA

Cornish Jack
23rd Jan 2009, 17:09
"Belay the last pipe"!
GS wins the day and said case is now open :D:ok:
HOWEVER it would appear to have caused more problems ... to whit "Phantom RAM"!
Long winded situation as follows:-
Machine bought for SWMBO from Currys some years back when 256Mbs was reasonable RAM. Currys had an offer bumping the installed to 512Mbs. Price OK so go ahead. Somewhat wary of 'box shifters' so confirm RAM total in System Information - 512 it says, so all is well.
Fast forward to now and decide to upgrade RAM to 1 or 2 Gb. Again confirm 512 installed and go to Crucial and Orca to get their recommendations using their in-house check programs.
Results? Crucial says that there is 256 installed in one of three available slots.
Orca says there is 512 installed in the two available slots (2x256) !!!:(:confused:
Sooo ... open up machine (see above) and discover that there is ONE RAM chip in one of TWO slots. Check RAM ID ... 256Mbs!! Recheck that I haven't misread the chip label and NO - 256 it is.
Take spare 1 Gb chip of suitable type and insert it into one of two available slots. Boot up and check System Info - ! Gb shown.
Go to Crucial and Orca again to get an update check.
Now Crucial says that there is 1Gb in one of three slots and Orca says that there is 1.3Gb in two of two slots!!:ugh:
The actuality is that there are two RAM slots and one has a 1GB chip in it. Can anybody out there suggest WTH is going on here, please??

Saab Dastard
23rd Jan 2009, 18:35
Sounds like there might be one "fixed" module of 256 MB on the mobo (which appears as a "slot" to some system tools), plus two slots for removable RAM DIMMS.

Have you got a manual to refer to with the mobo specs and layout?

SD

Cornish Jack
23rd Jan 2009, 20:56
Thanks SD.
No manual, I'm afraid. Hadn't struck me that such a thing (built-in mobo RAM) was a possibility. I'll try flying this particular kite on the PB forum and see if anyone there knows what's going on.

Saab Dastard
23rd Jan 2009, 22:04
Here's the details on the PB site (http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=P851001201&g=1400), and here's the details on the Gigabyte site (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1741).

Hope that helps.

SD

Cornish Jack
25th Jan 2009, 11:58
Thank you SD.
I've been scouring the PB site for anything similar but nothing seen. I've also posted on their forum but nobody seems to have an answer. The published info (on the PB site)for the mobo suggests that the RAM slot individual capacity is 512 to give a total of 1Gb. The only equivalent on the Gigabyte site is for the 8SIML without the NF6 designator and that says that it will accept 2Gb. I've actually fitted ONE 1Gb chip and, so far it is 'seeing' it and working OK.
The original demonstrated RAM discrepancy which raised this query is very puzzling and there's nothing in my (limited) experience which points to an answer:(:sad::confused::ugh: