PDA

View Full Version : ME expiry

nick14
23rd Jan 2009, 08:10
Hello all,

Due to start type rating in April, 8 weeks will take me over my ME expiry date.

My question is should I renew my multi rating in march time or is it not neccerssary to have a valid ME rating for first type rating?

Thanks
Nick

MIKECR
23rd Jan 2009, 10:18
Assuming you are going to be doing a type rating on a turboprop or jet of some description then no, you dont need to have a current MEP rating. You will get a new rating on your licence when you finish the TR. To start the type rating course however, you WILL need a current MEIR. If your MEP and MEIR ratings expire at the same time then just renew the MEIR. If its a first time renewal then you can do it in the sim...much cheaper obviously than hiring MEP.

nick14
23rd Jan 2009, 10:28
My ME/IR expires in September so im ok with that.

Surely if my ME rating expires in May then my ME/IR is no longer valid because I cannot fly an MEP without a rating?

All these rules are difficult to keep on top of!

Thanks Mike

clanger32
23rd Jan 2009, 11:35
Nick,
Either way, I'm pretty certain that you've flown enough hours in the year since ME validation to have it revalidated with little or no more input?

IIRC if you'd done more than 12 hours in the preceding year, your SEP could just be signed off - so would imagine similar for MEP and you've done what? 40 since GYR?

MIKECR
23rd Jan 2009, 12:12
Nick,

Your MEIR will still be valid and 'yes' you can quite happily excersise the privilages of the MEIR until Sept(if thats when it expires). HOWEVER....if your MEP rating expires in May then you cannot obviously fly an MEP aircraft...catach 22! You could however excersise your MEIR on an SEP...assuming of course your SEP rating is current.

To keep it simple....you presumably have 3 ratings on your licence - SEP, MEP, and MEIR. Only the MEIR needs to be current for your TR course. Clear as mud eh!!

nick14
23rd Jan 2009, 12:29
Mike:ok:

Brilliant thank you. I will hopefully have my TR by september so the ME/IR expiry wont be an issue.

Clanger, im pretty sure I would still need a check flight with an MECR examiner and a signature for the rating to be renewed on experience, at least thats how the SEP works. I will check JAR-FCL for clarification.

nick14
23rd Jan 2009, 12:36
Just checked FCL,

You can revalidate by 10 route sectors- To cruise (not less than 15 min) arrival approach and landing.
And Check flight with an MECR examiner

Or

A check flight with an examiner including one route sector.

Not sure on the above but its my understanding of the regs, which are confusing for my little brain :}

N

Keygrip
24th Jan 2009, 02:06
Oxford training at its best, eh?

So much for the super integrated courses - out in the world without a :mad: clue.

nick14
24th Jan 2009, 10:48
Well I do apologise, seems we cannot all have a super memory like you.

Nothing constructive to add why bother wasting your time posting?

N

mad_jock
24th Jan 2009, 13:29
Right your all getting confused with ratings

MEP multi engine piston

SEP single engine piston

IR-SPA-ME instrument rating -single pilot aircraft-multi engined.

IR-SPA-SE as above but single engine.

IR-SPA-ME qualifies you to fly SPA single engined aircraft.

To start your type rating you need IR-SPA-ME to be valid it doesn't to my knowledge require you to have a ME class rating active it could have changed though.

I have seen a couple of lads who have renewed thier IR-SPA-ME on the FNPT II in Leeds then jumped in a car down to Woodford to start their Jetstream rating the next day.

Aerospace101
24th Jan 2009, 13:45
Only if its your FIRST TYPE RATING that the requirement for a valid ME_IR is needed.

So I guess if you buy your first TR but dont get employed, then you dont need to renew it to start your next TR a few years later....