PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything to stop me completing ground school(UK) before gaining PPL(abroad)?

Fingermouse
23rd Jan 2009, 00:31
Is there anything to stop me completing ground school(UK) before gaining my PPL(abroad) and further training?

student88
23rd Jan 2009, 00:51
No, I don't believe so.

Keygrip
23rd Jan 2009, 02:51
Which groundschool? For what? Do the flying where?

Ask a full question, maybe get a full answer.

effi666
23rd Jan 2009, 04:35
BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!

I have completed all 7 ground school PPL exams last summer.
At the spanish flight school (Gran Canaria) they said absolutely no problem, I can start immediately my flight training.
After 10 hours I could fly solo, but have to wait for my Student Card. No problemo, on its way, but in the meanwhile keep flying with instructor VFR.
After 22 hours: sorry but authorities DONT accept UK PPL ground school results (however they DO accept UK PPL). Hasta La Vista. And I was not the first one, they knew this already!

Im going to the USA in two weeks because there they accept the UK licences fully, but I will only believe when it happens.
To sum it up, its a good idea but take care when u choose ur flight school. (also UK flight schools seems to be very passive when it comes to send away your exam results.....)

jamie230985
23rd Jan 2009, 08:21
when i was doing my PPL i passed all 7 exams with Cabair at Denham then headed to OFT in Florida & did my flying, they accepted it as long as u arrange to get your proof or your marks faxed accross!!

just ask the overseas flight school for their confirmation they will accept it first, problem solved!!

zerotohero
23rd Jan 2009, 11:02
PPL exams you can def get before heading to the US to do the flying, I know people that did this, all you need is the proof as its the CAA that issue the license not the US school and they check the lot out.

2nd question, are we talking about the ATPL exams??

does anyone know if you need a PPL license to sit these or can you just do them? some schools say you must have 150hrs first, but thats only so you can carry on with IR straight after so not a CAA requirement!

civil aviation
23rd Jan 2009, 15:41
Good point and remember that any competent FTO will always want official and original proof of qualifications and ratings before allowing anything to which you are, supposedly, entitled. Remember that emails, Faxes and photocopies probably won't be of any use.
This is a persistent and predictable problem when pilots/students want to go elsewhere and it seems that some delay or hold documentation so that you cannot move elsewhere.
However, aircraft owners, examiners, instructors and insurers are entitled to protection from liars and others who aren't able to produce the relevant docs.
Plenty of people who are perfectly 'genuine' have wasted a lot of time and money because of deficient paperwork so do heed these warnings.

Keygrip
24th Jan 2009, 02:10
effi666

Im going to the USA in two weeks

What?

jamie230985
24th Jan 2009, 08:30
zerotohero,

I believe on an abinitio course you do not need a PPL at all as those at Cabair never actually get this licence they just progress strait through to Commercial flying.

Again the best place to check for this info is in Lasors, it will give you the answer your looking for in there!!

zerotohero
24th Jan 2009, 10:24
The Lasors is a crock of [email protected] have never been able to get on with that,,, bring the FAA FARAIM over here and change it into JAA language, its an awesome book to pull info from

Adios
24th Jan 2009, 10:34
A good rule of thumb is that the PPL training must be undertaken at an FTO overseen by the same aviation authority under which you took the PPL theory exams. This does not mean two different JAA country's. It means UK CAA oversees the JAA PPL exams, then UK CAA must oversee the FTO, even if it's in another country.

However; some nations may be less strict and willing to accept UK CAA overseen JAA PPL exams. Spain apparently does not. So a better rule of thumb is get written approval from the relevant overseeing aviation authority through your own effort before you spend any money on flying lessons if you are doing theory in one country and flying in another.

Whirlygig
24th Jan 2009, 10:35
The Lasors is a crock of Sh@t
If you mean that you find the language hard to read to understand, then I'm afraid you'd better get used to it if you want a JAA licence. However, if you mean you have spotted the inaccurancies and deviations from the ANO (which is the law), then well done :ok:

If you want to study for ATPL ground exams via a modular system, you must have an ICAO PPL before you start. If it's via an integrated system, then obviously you need nothing other than a healthy bank balance before you start.

Cheers

Whirls

zerotohero
24th Jan 2009, 19:22
Willygig,

I dont want to get used to it too get a licence, I have an APTL and fly a 737-800 for the obvious carrier in the UK!

I also have a FAA CPL and CFI with all the trimmings and love the FARAIM and miss using it on a daily basis instructing, it was so easy to point people in the right directing, I sooooooooooo cant get on with the JAA system even after hundreds of hours Jet time all over europe,,,,

I refer you to my original comment,,,, bring the FARAIM over here and convert it to JAA language, how much easyier would that make life,,, and how many pointless threads could be removed from PPRUNE because of it!

on the original note, I see we have an answer for the Ground school ATPL's before PPL,,, cant be done,,, shame as the original poster was hoping to get all the bullcrap out the way before going to the USA to justfly fly fly and get it done in minimal time.