PDA

View Full Version : Lycoming SB569A - 1 month to go in some cases

IO540
22nd Jan 2009, 14:06
I have just heard from a pilot based outside Europe.

The Lyco SB (http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-bulletins/pdfs/SB569A.pdf) has been interpreted by his national CAA literally and the crankshaft has to come out 21 Feb 2009 !!!

Whereas the FAA, and AFAIK EASA, have adopted a 12 year crank life limit from entering service, which makes the deadline around 2009-2014.

This also means you have 1 month to take advantage of the Lyco $2000 reduced-price crank kit offer - applicable to people who are using an independent engine rebuilder.

Crank lead time is c. 10 weeks (just checked) but it will depend on the model.

irish seaplane
23rd Jan 2009, 12:19
I know some people affected by this with a 182S. Can the official line be gotten anywhere for a G Reg aircraft with an affected serial number? I would have thought a mandatory SB would have to be complied with exactly, but am open to correction.

Any Idea how much engine shops are charging for the Job typically? Know the joke was "Gonna be lots of Skylanes taxiing into runway lights this year!!"

Any info appreciated!

Irish

IO540
23rd Jan 2009, 14:06
You need to look up the EASA AD.

The URL I gave to the SB569A contains a list of serial numbers. Basically any of the bigger engines, 1997-2002, is affected.

An engine rebuild is the bigger part of £20k but I would never do it in Europe. Too many engine shops here are simply incompetent. I would use a highly respected U.S. engine shop; did this a year ago using this firm (http://www.bpaengines.com) and it cost $12k plus shipping.

The most expensive (but totally reliable) way to ship would be DHL which would come to around £1500 each way for a 250kg engine in a crate, 3 days each way. Air freight can be a lot cheaper but is much more hit and miss time-wise; could take 4 weeks each way if they mess up.

I know a man who paid £20k to the now-defunct CSE for an IO-540.