PDA

View Full Version : OneJetOne Airways, Nairobi

Dylsexlic
22nd Jan 2009, 14:05
Does anyone know who is behind this airline? The web site here OneJetOne Airways Kenya - Fun To Fly ! (http://www.onejetone.com/index.html) is under construction, but it seems they're recruiting. What aircraft are they planning to fly?

sawaya
22nd Jan 2009, 17:47
Party owned by air asia<the fleet will be A320,A330.You have to be a kenyan citizen to apply.

Dylsexlic
23rd Jan 2009, 15:58
Hmmm. Not sure if that's interesting or not! (no offence intended). Just have to wait and see I guess. Looks like an LCL op. Is Kenya loaded with out of work airbus crews? ;)

sawaya
23rd Jan 2009, 17:27
They will fully sponsor for the rating and be bonded for 8 years.

bond7
23rd Jan 2009, 23:38
Sawaya, if you have additional detailed info about this start up, can you please PM me? :)

Thank you!

THRidle
24th Jan 2009, 09:34
Bonded or not, you need Airbus time to kick off an Airline.

You could be Kenyan with two lunar landings and an Apollo spacecraft endorsement under your belt, but with out about 500+ hours on Airbus, you aint going nowhere:eek:

mkenya
24th Jan 2009, 11:17
8 years! Damn... At least kq for 3 years.. But its good to have some other airline other than kq. Hopefully they'll change the hiring dynamics in kenya..
So you aware of their minimum requirements, when they expect to be launching and the routes?
Seems like an interesting operation to me

Ylva
24th Jan 2009, 12:09
As you all no,no expat can work in Kenya the requirements are Kenyan citizenship and a basic CPL,mr Aussie I know what I am talking about,

Ylva
24th Jan 2009, 12:13
Thridle I agree with you and that's why all recruited pilots will be going to work for air Asia for a while to get some experience before the airline kicks off.

Nightfire
25th Jan 2009, 01:47
The design of their website seems somehow "inspired" by W!ZZ (Wizz Air (http://www.wizzair.com)). We'll see what becomes of it. Don't expect too much.

bond7
26th Jan 2009, 03:12
Positive move...Kenyan aviation needs it!!!

Ylva
26th Jan 2009, 06:27
I can now confirm that onejetone has invested 21 million dollars,in refurbishing the old airport in Nairobi embakasi,To be used solely by them.

capt.m
26th Jan 2009, 09:46
Any idea who is financing them??

min2097
26th Jan 2009, 10:39
Does that mean that there's hope for a Kenyan citizen like me with a JAA Frozen ATPL in getting a job if i go back to Kenya?

perceval
26th Jan 2009, 13:42
JAA or not , you'll need to get the KCAA licence . two can play this game ...:}
Anyway if you're a kenyan cit.there will be jobs at some point or another . You don't necessarily need to be a citizen to work , you can sometimes get work permits but it's hard and almost impossible for low timer . Basically same :mad:as someone from Kenya getting rights to work in EU ...Crash course in Buddhistic meditation needed before applying ....

kotakota
27th Jan 2009, 02:08
I take it the 21mill has been invested in upgrading / renewing the 'old' terminal on the North side of runway at Embakasi and NOT Eastleigh as suggested by someone earlier ?
FWIW I attended the opening ceremony of Emabakasi in 1958 as a ( very ) young man , some of my Dads black and white photos of the occasion show some interesting aircraft .
We thought the terminal was the most wonderful building we had ever seen !!
Not a security guard to be seen , seeing someone off meant strolling out to the aircraft steps with them . Halcyon days indeed.

perceval
27th Jan 2009, 11:46
Definitely not Eastleigh which is still an AFB ,with no instrument approaches , and now in the middle of the suburbs as well (they'd have to invest a lot more money to make it useable as a civ airport , including rebuilding an access road) . That North Terminal has been talked about for eons though , I wonder if it will be done eventually or if it's just another rumour .

a mystery
29th Jan 2009, 10:59
The first post on this thread says they are recruiting, but the website is still under construction......
Does anyone have any info on the recruiting of OneJet One? Or when they may start hiring?

Ylva
29th Jan 2009, 14:11
Pilot recruitment was done last November....though they will open it up soon again but i am sure they have recruited the pilots to start the operation.

capt.m
29th Jan 2009, 19:12
Hi Ylva..what makes you say they have recruited last November??
Any other info you wish to share than you can
PM..thnx
Happy landings:ok:

a mystery
30th Jan 2009, 11:57
Thanks Ylva....
Do you or anyone else know where, or who I could contact to apply?
You can PM me if you like......

Ylva
30th Jan 2009, 13:07
hi mystery are you kenyan if yes send me a PM

enzola
31st Jan 2009, 08:16
To all those interested in OneJetOne (OJO), no recruitment has taken place. OJO will begin recruiting via its website as from the 1st of February. Only online applications submitted via the career section of the website will be accepted. No hard copies or emailing your CV to anyone is required.

In addition, I can confidently say that OJO will cover all the training costs & the bond won't be 8 years.

Finally, the website will be changing in a couple of hours, hope your prepared to experience the new website emphasizing OJO's aim which is Fun to fly !

mkenya
31st Jan 2009, 09:26
Anyone knows what the minimum requirements are, their routes and how many aircraft they are expecting?

transparent
31st Jan 2009, 14:48
i believe u r rite. the site shud start taking in applications from 1st feb 09:)

transparent
1st Feb 2009, 10:46
onejetone's site is up....OneJetOne Airways Kenya - Fun to fly ! (http://www.onejetone.com) It appears to be a Kenyan LCC along the lines of RyanAir/easyJet...fleet A320 & 330. i spoke with its CEO Arjun Ruzaik (mobile nos are on the site....refreshing way of communication !) & he mentions that recruitment has now commenced & priority will be given to Kenyan citizens. He also acknowledges that there are hardly any rated Kenyan captains & as such will be seeking "foreigners" (both rated line &/or trainers) on short term contracts

perceval
1st Feb 2009, 17:29
requirements and aircraft types are on the website . licence conversions will be necessary to fly 5Y aircraft anyway if you don't have one yet and , generally it's a fairly long process .I guess citizens will have priority then , hopefully , foreigners with local licence , then the rest if there's still a need . Maybe TRE,TRI's will be able to get a stint as the type is new to the country .
:ok:

Nightfire
2nd Feb 2009, 17:08
when you go to those.... uhm.... professional :mad: people in the KCAA, to get your Kenyan validation, just make sure you get there early in the morning. Or else you'll have to wait in the queue for a couple of hours. And believe me, you don't want that to happen on top of it all, because your time will be bad enough when having to deal with them.
They will literally drive you insane.

Say "hello" to Gladys from me when you get there! :\

captabcd
5th Feb 2009, 07:56
Any info on why it is a must to attend open days will be appreciated.:ok:

skytango1
5th Feb 2009, 10:51
Hi Nightfire..YAP the place still a nightmare to get things done if you know what i mean..
Gladys long gone..however another..b$%^& runs the show..Any way people say its kinda improving.I have my doubts though..Happy days are long gone mate...20 years+dealing there..so you can ONLY imagine...
Take care mate..

Ylva
5th Feb 2009, 10:52
there will be a minimum of four open days in a span of three months.It will be all about get to know the company.As of now I believe only experinced expats TRe will be brought in for a few months to train local captains and FOs.There w

vyque.ke
6th Feb 2009, 13:55
The Open Days.....Any Idea Where & When?:confused:

captabcd
7th Feb 2009, 12:07
Ylva
Seems like you got dragged away, and didn't finish.

jetpet
7th Feb 2009, 12:12
From the looks of the application process, the open days have been split into about 3 to four, the first one being tomorrow the 8th. of Feb...and u get to be invited once you have completed the application process..its not free for all...Looking to have about 60 to 80 crew eventually, 3 A320s and 2 A330s....not sure if thats proportional to the number of crew wanted./ aircraft they say they will bring! :confused:

Nightfire
7th Feb 2009, 13:21
Hello Skytango1!
Yes, actually, I meant Lucy, not Gladys. But there's no real difference between them. Last time I was there, I had to deal with a younger guy who made himself important. They're all just the same f:mad:s.

capt.m
7th Feb 2009, 14:34
Heard a few kq guys are interested in OJO..
seems all is not rosey on that side of the fence..:eek:

Ylva
7th Feb 2009, 17:08
Jet pet so far I believe the open days are not up yet

midgie
9th Feb 2009, 15:23
Does anyone have any info / advise on how to get round this problem with the online application?

When I input contact details of my referees the system rejects it with "this is an invalid email address". OK it is a UK email address I'm inputting, but still surprised it won't accept it.:confused:

Thanks in advance guys/gals

jetpet
11th Feb 2009, 13:07
ylva....i spoke to a chap who said he had been formally invited for an open day on the 8th of Feb by the current "chief pilot" of OJO...so unless it was :mad: i believe the event actually took place...

Ylva
11th Feb 2009, 14:12
I have just confirmed that there was in deed an open day,from what i was told it was for management captains etc.....

atpcliff
18th Feb 2009, 19:02
Hi!

Is it practical for a non-low timer to get a work permit for Kenya?

cliff
KGRB

5Z4
18th Feb 2009, 20:43
Everything is possible in Kenya. Certainly if you bring money to Bribe.

Nightfire
19th Feb 2009, 08:54
Is it practical for a non-low timer to get a work permit for Kenya?

Sure it is! You're going to have a brilliant career ahead of you. :ugh:

Before you even think about a "work permit" in Kenya, I hope you either have some powerful friends somewhere in the government, or you know a few rich and influential people in the Kenyan economy.

If you have neither of the two options, then forget about Kenya right now.

If you do, then ask yourself if you really want to put up with that :mad: , because it will more often than not drive you mad.

I suggest you go to Wilson airport for a few days, and talk to a few companies there. And then also go to the KCAA at Jomo Kenyatta airport, and try to have a talk with those monkeys running it.
What you will experience there, is generally what's in store for you if you were to work in Kenya. :\

perceval
19th Feb 2009, 23:17
I like to hear all that .You don't like it ...stay away ...simple .:mad:
So , the rest of us who actually enjoy the country , (by birth or otherwise )have a chance .Kcaa isn't even that bad these days , come on .
As for work permits , if a company wants you , they'll get you one .It's that simple .
Oh , and flying and living in Kenya beats the hell out of a lot of places ...especially up north .:{

captabcd
20th Feb 2009, 05:46
BOY'S Boy's lets not get off track on this post, create another one to air your grievances. :ugh::D

Leave this one alone for some good information.

Nightfire
21st Feb 2009, 19:13
Perceval, actually I was being sarcastic. KCAA is as terrible as always.

Despite having lived and worked in Kenya for nearly 20 years, I can just say that the best times are long over. :sad:

Getting a work-permit cannot be done by your would-be hiring company either, because the decision is not up to them but to the guys in Nyayo-house. And they don't care about who or what, they just want to see an envelope full of banknotes. :\ That's all.

The corrupt pile of :mad: called "KCAA" is just one thing. But flying junk-aircraft in and out of dangerously neglected airports, absolutely zero-safety standards, disorganized chaos everywhere, as well as the fact that NOTHING ever gets better... just go read the thread called "You know you're flying in Africa..." - it sums it up in a humorous way.

Yeah, I enjoy(ed) Kenya very much too, while having lived there. It's still a great place for a holiday even today.
But if you work there, you need a lot of patience and strong nerves.

If you need a flying-job, it's definitely the wrong place to look. There are still other places where you can try.

5Z4
6th Mar 2009, 12:41
:ok:
Nightfire sure knows what he's talking about !

He's 100% right.

mwaurak
7th Mar 2009, 05:32
Nightlife?? It took you along time to make the judgement that kenya was a ****hole???? Sorry for guys like you who came to take advantage of the colonial mess.

capt.m
7th Mar 2009, 11:22
KENYA A ****HOLE???:sad: :=

Nightfire
7th Mar 2009, 13:03
mwaurak, the fact that you misspelled my username, when you adressed me with your stupid remark, shows that you also didn't read my post properly.

So for simple minds like yours, let me make it clear: I was talking about the KCAA, in a wider scale about the government. I thought I made that clear, but perhaps it needs some more explaining.

Kenya is definitely not a s...hole. No way! I loved that country while I lived there, and it hurts to see how it all decays due to the greed and selfishness of a corrupt mafia, due to incompetence and ignorance on all levels. Sorry to say that it is noone but the Kenyan government itself who is taking advantage of, and is responsible for, the current mess.

Ask any non-KALPA pilot, see what they tell you. Talk to anybody in the Aero Club or to any aircraft-operating company at Wilson airport, and listen to their experiences.

I don't understand why you associate this filthy mess on ex-colonialism. Actually, I'm not interested either, nor is anybody else in this forum, I believe.

The question in this thread (post #42) was, if Kenya is a good place for an experienced pilot to look for a job.
The answer is: No.

Is the country beautiful? Do you make friends easily? Can you go out and party nicely in Nairobi? Is it worth going there for a holiday?
Answer to all that: Yes.
Just unfortunately not the point of this discussion.

min2097
7th Mar 2009, 17:32
Good post nightfire :)

Broderii
7th Mar 2009, 21:17
So long as you have initiative and a couple of US$100s you can get a work permit. I got mine in Kenya in 3 days back in 1994 by slipping an Immigration guy a Time magazine containing US$300 in a car park down the road from his office. Probably still the same today but the price might be higher...give it a go, they can only say "No" or "I want more money!"

Finn47
8th Mar 2009, 12:44
Found this article on the net:

DAILY NATION- New airline flies into trouble with watchdog (http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/543178/-/u33jeh/-/)

5Z4
9th Mar 2009, 21:22
broderii

thanks for helping so much the continuation of the bribing system.:confused:

Nightfire
10th Mar 2009, 02:33
Don't blame broderii - he's only doing what he has to do.
There is no other way to get ANYTHING done in Kenya otherwise. Broderii was only trying to help with his advice.

mwaurak
10th Mar 2009, 04:07
Nightfire. My point was simple and please dont reply with your nonsense wanna be tough remarks. Whether your talking about KCAA or corruption in kenya.

Nightfire
10th Mar 2009, 07:10
Mwaurak, I'm neither interested in your discriminating "point", nor in any personal remarks from you.

Back to the thread: I found another interesting article on OneJetOne in another forum. Unfortunately, I cannot put a direct link in here, because pprune doesn't allow linking to a bl0g.

However, describing how to find the link is not in breach of policies.
So please, remove the three underline-symbols (_), then cut and paste into your browser's address-bar:

ht_tp://coldtusker.blo_gs_pot.com/2009/03/kenya-airports-authority-coldtusker.html

vyque.ke
18th Mar 2009, 11:01
Am told a set of Open Days is scheduled for sometime this week...Any buddy thats gotta clue where & when that is gonna happen??

Ylva
18th Mar 2009, 11:21
I believe if you are shortlisted you will be invited personally.

vyque.ke
25th Mar 2009, 14:56
Hey guys, when do you think is the most appropriate time for Onejetone to open its online booking system given the fact that its set to launch in late September/early October?

bond7
25th Mar 2009, 16:25
Thank you Nightfire...its pilots like him if indeed he's one...that cause accidents and incidents since they assume too much or don't read correctly or probably comprehend what's before hand.

Mwaurak...please...don't make mistakes like this while flying especially in IMC. what're you gonna do next?...head on a 001 heading instead of 100 when ATC calls for it?!

flying_hamster
19th May 2009, 05:48
The guy in the interview, the CEO, was managing a radio station in Nairobi earlier..I had an interview with them once, and general chit-chat led him to say that AirAsia is setting up an airline service in Africa..this is it, i'm assuming..AirAsia is a share-holder, and from that, i'm assuming that they might use the A320 fleet?

the CEO is actually a Sri Lankan guy, Arjun Ruzaik..

a mystery
19th May 2009, 14:05
I met with the CEO for a chit chat back in Jan, and I thought they were supposed to start the actual pilot interviews in april/may. Its been so quite though lately, especially since that whole Embakasi bid was taken away. And then I heard that the CEO had a heart attack! But I don't know if that is true?
Does anyone know what the latest is?

atpcliff
20th May 2009, 17:19
Hi!

So the bid so this new airline can develop and use the other airport, has been cancelled?

I am flying out of NBO, and it is very crowded, and badly needs expansion. THe current expansion is too late, and not enough expansion, but it WILL help!

cliff
NBO

flying_hamster
21st May 2009, 18:43
Im not sure of the heart attack story, seeing as i decided to mail th CEO, and got a reply today via facebook!

im assuming its all just rumours..from the way i've seen rumours and other things developing, im assuming the airline will take more time then needed to settle and begin operations..it is, after all, KENYA!

au sivyo?

captabcd
4th Aug 2009, 12:00
Jambo's
Yes there is news, just check your email.:cool:

angelorange
5th Aug 2009, 22:07
hmmmm, anyone got a positive email?

grjplanes
11th Aug 2009, 15:13
Are they still set to start operating in Sept/Oct? It still says so on the website, but no bookings is open yet, just saying that initially flying to Johannesburg and London using A320 and A330? Has aircraft been sourced yet?

Spurr
11th Aug 2009, 15:30
What's the link with AirAsia? Do they own it? I've seen elsewhere that they are only associated?

Anyone know what's the story?

Komba
15th Sep 2009, 15:08
Salaams everyone - I have been away and out of the loop for a while. Any more news on OJO?:confused:

outofhereoyibo
15th Sep 2009, 22:22
hmm.... lots of ex pats flying in Kenya. Actually real easy...

Ylva
22nd Jan 2010, 04:47
After waiting and waiting and waiting.Its official that OJO just exists as a Facebook Airline Company..

They have just opened up a kiosk in Jomo Kenyatta Airport i am not sure if it is an office or they have given up and now embarking on selling candy and airtime vouchers at the little kiosk they have opened.

They claim to have employed 50 pilots,I know plenty of pilots in Nairobi None has been recruited or knows someone who knows some who knows someone that has been recruited.

If they are still planning to start in march i guess there would be pilots who have already been sent to the sim,None yet so far...

The CEO has tried to start up Srilanka and failed.

Bottom line is they are in competition as who has the biggest fanbase on facebook.

Never trust a company that recruits on face book.

pmat
1st Mar 2010, 08:57
My take is this was just another big scam that was starting in Kenya. They wanted to take over the old airport terminal, make it the new local domestic terminal then lease it back to KAA even before they start the airline! Kenya Airways and other players cried foul and I guess the scam artists withdrew back to the strategy room for a while,......now a very long while. This was not an airline but a company that wanted to get into the airport business like BAA in the UK but through the back door. Will however buy some candy at the kiosk next time I'm in Nairobi:O

parisjet
1st Mar 2010, 13:28
I heard they are looking to launch soon, but I haven’t heard of anyone being interviewed for the positions, and where are they getting A320 Pilots from, Kenya is predominantly a Boeing country. I have a feeling that most of their Pilots will be from India as there are lot of A320 rated Indian Pilots out there, and they wouldn’t be as expensive to hire as European expats. However they having been ‘coming soon’ for a long time now, what could possibly be the hold up, can’t see there being any problem acquiring A320’s as there are a lot out there in storage.

vyque.ke
26th Apr 2010, 11:21
Has anyone had anytging from OJO? Its been kinda dormant(somehow).

Ethiopia
26th Apr 2010, 12:49
Just read that the current crisis pushed back their start-up by at least two years. What was the initial plan? 2009?

An Interview With Mr. Arjun Ruzaik, Chief Executive Officer of OneJetOne (http://www.african-aviation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=283:an-interview-with-mr-arjun-ruzaik-chief-executive-officer-of-onejetone&catid=24:articles)

Ylva
27th Apr 2010, 19:24
Hi guys,

I just wanted to bring to light a few facts about OJO this has been after extensive investigations

Fact 1

currently OJO only hold an Airservice licence they still dont have an air operators certificate.

They recently renewed their Airservice licence and they only have a few months to come up with an AOC or else the aplication will be null and void.

Fact 2

OJO will not be able to operate international routes up until one year of operation that means they will be limited to flying between mombasa and Nairobi for one year,before they are approved to fly international.

Fact 3

There are no records whatsoever at the KCAA to show that they have secured a single aircraft forget about the crew training.