PDA

View Full Version : Career downgrade.

Brie
22nd Jan 2009, 13:47
OK this is the story:

I'm F/O on a Learjet 40XR. I'm working now for about 2 years and have about +- 670h on type. Due to restructurising of the company, the management decided to buy 4 VLJ aircraft ofwhich 2 are coming the end of this year.

Because they don't want to hire to many F/O's they decided that i also have to fly the VLJ.

I feel this really as a career downgrade because i've been told that these hours on a vlj, do not count for your atpl, so in fact these hours are really useless. And i also have the impression that i will have to fly more on this vlj, so less hours on the 45. Personally, i do not know what to do. Doing this useless hours or leaving the company? I hope you understand i'll have to think about my career.

Now, how would you deal with this situation?

Thx in advance.

Superpilot
22nd Jan 2009, 14:05
As far as I know there is only one real "VLJ" currently certified in Europe - Eclipse 500. Citation Mustang too if you truly consider it a "VLJ". And in Europe, it is to be flown by a multi-crew. Meaning one pilot logs P1 and the other pilot logs P2 time. Who the hell told you you're hours wont count towards total time??? It's wrong information.

Brie
22nd Jan 2009, 14:24
I agree, it does count for your total time, but it is more interesting to do multi crew time on a multi crew aircraft than on a single pilot aircraft. Yes it is mustang jet. Can i write these times a multi crew time in my book???

All confusing, i don't know what to do.

Someone can clarify??

Superpilot
22nd Jan 2009, 14:35
Yes you can log time as P1 or P2 in any aircraft certified for multi-crew operations. London Executive Aviation (a private jet aircraft charter airline) have several Cessna Citation Mustangs all certified for multi-crew ops. It's not considered a "one pilot" aircraft.

Brie
22nd Jan 2009, 17:37
Ok thx, but still i don't know what to do. Cause i don't know how the "potential future employers" will react on these vlj experiences. I'm afraid that i will limit myself to these light jets and the heavier stuff will be excluded.

Challie601
23rd Jan 2009, 10:34
in these times I wouldnt be looking elsewhere for another job unless its far far away and hasnt felt the credit crunch (not likely). If your outfit is bringing in more a/c and has a plan for the next 6-12m to integrate them into the operation then you have a more secure future than the majority of us :eek:

I understand what you are saying but at present you are lucky to be flying at all. Best keep those hours adding up in your logbook, its twinjet time and if its true that they are multicrew ops then it doesnt matter how you get it :ok:

BitMoreRightRudder
23rd Jan 2009, 11:10
You are building hours and experience on a multi-crew a/c. I wouldn't worry. It all counts. Why would you be pre-cluded from flying heavier aircraft? I wouldn't walk out on a job at the moment no matter how peeved you might be.

roljoe
23rd Jan 2009, 17:07
Brie,

keep your place, whatever the machine you're flying...the most important point is to remain in the loop...the future will certainly offer different opportunities..but this will belong to the future..

Pas de décision hative en ce moment..;)

5 RINGS
23rd Jan 2009, 23:30
Brie's troubles come from the fact he probably has a French licence, and the French CAA does not allow pilot to count non JAR 25 / JAR 23 commuter hours towards the issue of an ATPL (500 hrs multi crew criteria)...

Having said that, I understand that Brie has 500+ on the Learjet, so where's the issue with the ATPL???

just wait for the 1500 hrs mate...two types on a licence are better than one...