PDA

View Full Version : Where can Canadian pilots get work abroad?

Westward_Bound
22nd Jan 2009, 10:38
So being a low time(300hrs) guy in today's economy, coupled with my love of travel and adventure, I find myself contemplating looking for work in foreign countries. If I have to move from where I am now(Vancouver) for that first job, I'd rather go somewhere hot and culturally different(surf and beautiful women a big plus too)

Anyways, point is, I don't know how to find out where a Canadian pilot can easily(no costly/lengthy conversion) get work. I hear of the usual spots like the Maldives, and parts of Africa(again, what countries?), but I'd like to know where is the easiest and surest way to find out what countries I can get hired? It would be nice to if I could find out what is needed for any specific country.

I'm mainly looking for a convenient site that has all this information, but if anyone knows anything off the top of their head, please share!

Thanks

canadairguy
22nd Jan 2009, 14:49
You might consider ACASS. There's a thread about them in the Canada forum. No-one really wants to deal with outfits like ACASS. You'll be faced with owners who are unhappy with their service. You'll work with flight crews who are fighting to receive what they've been promised. If you can put up with them for a while, you'll be able to build experience and move on to something much better.

BelArgUSA
22nd Jan 2009, 15:17
Hola WB -
xxx
With 300 hrs, I think the only place might be Africa for you, at this stage with your hours. Since you are in Canada, and (might) speak/understand some French, for your prospective jobs, include the many countries of West and Central Africa where French is spoken.
xxx
Two years in Africa, will get you the 1500 hrs in your log book for the ATPL... and other suitable jobs in other parts of the world.
xxx
As far as women, Tutsi ladies are tall, suitable for basket ball. As far as other things, check statistics about AIDS...
xxx
Good luck to you -
:ok:
Happy contrails

Canadapilot
22nd Jan 2009, 15:20
BelArg you've put me in a good mood for the day with that post! Try getting your float rating and applying to Kenn Borek, they fly floats in the Maldives. Of course they can always just send you to Resolute Bay!

227driver
22nd Jan 2009, 21:37
I think Borek is laying off. Check out avcanada.ca.

DashRiprock
31st Jan 2009, 16:11
Best thing to do is Pick a country you like, Inland/On the Water, Learn a bit about it and bring your CV and a well stamped logbook. Very difficult to get a job over the phone, next to impossible.

Please for your sake, bring a log book full of school stamps. Thats what the CAA wants to see, cause these guys will do anything from letting expats in the little pool of employable pilots. Tanzania, Botswana and Namibia are definitely a good start to look. LOTS of Expats. Im from Vancouver too, the ticket is $1700 here...Rock on.

faireydelta
31st Jan 2009, 22:49
This was posted a few days ago (Jan. 29th) on Avianation.com :

Company Name: Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)
Position: Entry Level Pilots (Tanzania)
Description: Successful applicants for the positions listed below will need to
meet the requirements for MAF international Staff Membership. If
you are interested in any of these positions, please check out the
qualifications required , fill in an expression of interest form and/or
contact Judith at the MAF NZ office. email: [email protected]
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need
JavaScript enabled to view it ph: (09) 262 1725 or 0800 87 85 88.

MINIMUM ENTRY PILOT

An International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) based
Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) with appropriate aviation medical
certificate is the minimum-licensing requirement for all pilot
positions. A minimum of 500 hours total flight time is required
(which includes 300 hours PIC) for operations limited to the use of
the Cessna single-engine piston aircraft in visual flight weather
conditions. Pilots are usually required to spend some nights away
from base each month to complete planned flights. An instrument
rating is highly recommended.

1 position based in Tanzania.

Address:
Level 6,
20 Amersham Way
Manukau City
PO Box 76502
Manukau City, Auckland
New Zealand

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A
Direct Link: Vacancies (http://www.mafnz.org.nz/opportunities-mainmenu-49/vacancies-mainmenu-50.html)

BelArgUSA
1st Feb 2009, 05:35
Hola, Canadapilot -
xxx
You put me in an excellent mood too... Resolute Bay...?
Reminds me of a (forced) layover in Iqaluit... Sometimes in the mid-1980s...
My DC8 was parked on the ramp. Fuel stop LAX to CDG...
Another DC8 (flown by my chief pilot) hit his wing tip against my wing tip.
xxx
There were 250 passengers on his plane, I had 250 as well.
The town motel had 15 rooms... that is it...!
Rooms double bed, I slept with my flight engineer.
Did not shave his legs. His after-shave was not appropriate either.
Passengers (500) enjoyed 2 nights in a school gymnasium.
No Labatt, nor Molson. Did not know you guys were dry there...
Do you call this the "Frobisher Follies"...?
xxx
I had dreams about rubbing noses with native ladies, or with cute little seals.
:}
Happy contrails... eh...?

rwm
1st Feb 2009, 15:59
the best bet would be with some missionary or church relief group. There are several operations in Cameroon, Chad, CAR, Congo, ect. Also there was a relif out fit in Chad that I was speaking with who told me they were desperate for pilots.

Mr_Pilot
2nd Feb 2009, 11:02
Speaking from working with one of you chums....

OZtralia.... is a place you can get validation and still get a decent pay packet.... I wrked fire spotting with a Canadian, who was shacked up here for a while... 2 year VISA is easy enough to get, it was a good paying government job, as long as you have tail wheel time you should get a look in!

Best of luck what ever decision