PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Flying College and Self sponsored cadets

tommytan
22nd Jan 2009, 07:42
I just came to know that SIngapore Flying college a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines is taking in self sponsored cadets, but i was told that none of the self sponsored cadets have been offered any contracts. Can anyone verify this. If that is the case, why should pilots wannabes pay more to enrol with Singapore Flying College when they have a cheaper alternative in Langkawi Malaysia?

Also, I heard that there are many non singaporean cadets sponsored by SIA who are constantly taunting the self sponsored SIngaporean cadets about how easy it is for foreigners to get sponsorship by SIA whereas the self sponsored cadets who are mostly Singaporeans have to pay their own way thru. Can anyone verify this, as this are points to conside before deciding which avenue to pursue a CPL. Thank you.

corsair
22nd Jan 2009, 08:24
No nothing about Singapore flying college. But I can spot a vicious rumour when I see one. heard that there are many non singaporean cadets sponsored by SIA who are constantly taunting the self sponsored SIngaporean cadets about how easy it is for foreigners to get sponsorship by SIA

To me that sounds like Singaporeans who failed to get selected are spreading rumours to that effect. Getting a Singapore airlines cadetship is far from easy. It sounds like a typical anti foreigner rumour spread by people annoyed because they missed out.

It would seem fairly obvious that a relatively small place like Singapore could never provide enough pilots to supply their needs. Even here in Ireland we have Ryanair, but if they only selected Irish pilots the standard would be either be very low or the airline very small. It's the same for many airlines around the world.

Sonic69
25th Jan 2009, 14:07
tommytan, for your 1st post, it surely is very inflammatory.
I assure you that none of the so called rumours you are referring to are true. I have friends in SFC both SQ sponsored and self sponsored.
A self sponsored candidate is exactly that - self sponsored. What contract are you talking about? SFC has informed me that to date, all self sponsored candidates have been hired by various Singapore carriers - SQ, SQ Cargo, Silkair, Jetstar, Tiger.

I can give you 3 reasons why a Singaporean would choose SFC over any Msian academy.
1. Doing our groundschool over the first six months at home allows us to be close to our families.
2. It is efficient, we get it done in 62 weeks vs 2 years in any Msian academy. Are you a grad from Langkawi? How long did it take you?
3. Not all flying schools are equal, perceived or otherwise. If a Singaporean carrier wanted to hire a direct entry FO with low hours, would they prefer to take someone from SFC whom they have good relations with and can get access to testimonials from their colleagues in the industry or from any other flying school? I'm not going to debate whether this is right or wrong, but just put yourself in the hirer's shoes.