PDA

View Full Version : SEP Validity Question (With a CPL/IR)

wangus
21st Jan 2009, 10:49
Lasors leaving me none the wiser as usual.
Revalidated my IR-SPA-ME yesterday, valid until Feb. 2010. When discussing ratings, realised I did my last PPL SEP bi-annual in June 2006. Haven't flown a SEP in last 12 months. Where do I stand on SEP? Also, going through my blue book, cannot find SEP rating anywhere? Where do I stand????? Help!

nick14
21st Jan 2009, 11:28
If you havent flown an SEP for 12 months but the rating is still valid then you can renew on experience (12hours in previous 12 months and 1hr with a class rating instructor I think)

If it has lapsed just take a SEP renewal, very basic departure bit of nav, stalls steep turns PFL and circuits.

I had the same thing. All you need do is transfer your VALID SEP rating renewals page from your PPL to your CPL book and you can use it for commercial privalages.

Hope this helps.
N

ps just re-read your post, looks like your SEP has expired so you will need to do a SEP renewal with an examiner.

wangus
21st Jan 2009, 11:46
Thanks for your response. Not done the 12 hours in last year, so will be a full renewal apparently. After an IR Test in EGHH with Examiner 001, I'm hoping I can handle it. Will be nice to fly a simple 90 kt aircraft.

flightlevel1985
21st Jan 2009, 12:12
And just think, you now get to do the fun PFL's all over again :ok:

Keygrip
21st Jan 2009, 12:26
Wangus, I'm concerened at the comment

going through my blue book, cannot find SEP rating anywhere

Take a look at Section XII on page 4 of your relatively new 4 page licence that shows "English Proficient"

Under the column "Class/Type/IR" does it list "SEP (Land)" along with "Instrument" and "MEP (Land)"?

If "Yes", then go do a lesson or two and then a flight test with an examiner to have your SEP written up onto the "Certificate of Revalidation".

If it "doesn't" list SEP (Land) then you do not have the rating on your CPL and as your PPL is now superceded, you cannot fly single engine piston.

Btw, Lasors? class ratings? Section F.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2008%20(Bookmarked).pdf

nick14
21st Jan 2009, 12:42
might that be because the rating had expired on CPL issue?

Its not a problem just get the rating revalidated/renewed and signed in your CPL and your good to go.

wangus
21st Jan 2009, 13:12
Hi Keygrip,
Yes, page 4 Ratings to be revalidated comprises Instrument, MEP, & SEP. Just to confirm, I don't need to do 12 hours, just a renewal test?? Presumably after a pass, examiner stamps revalidation page. (MEP and IR-SPA-ME both have "valid until" dates on revalidation page, SEP not shown there. Only on page 4 as you pointed out. Is anything missing?)
Many thanks.

LH2
21st Jan 2009, 14:52
Interesting, two days ago I had a look at my licence and there is no SEP on it either :uhoh:

That is probably because I had the rating revalidated by experience with an instructor signing me off on my PPL ratings page. What I've done now is taken that page off my PPL and put it on my CPL. I'll try and get it sorted properly on my next IR renewal anyway.

Keygrip,

as your PPL is now superceded

You mean superseded by the issue of a CPL? No it doesn't work like that--your PPL is still valid until the expiry date shown on it.

Keygrip
21st Jan 2009, 15:07
You can only have one licence from any particular issuing authority, so if the PPL was JAA and the subsequent CPL was JAA, then the PPL is no longer. You do, of course, have PPL privileges on your CPL, so should your medical not allow commercial operations, you may still fly as a PPL, but the original PPL itself is no more.

If the original PPL was "National" (say UK CAA lifteime PPL) and the CPL is JAA then no prblem - different authorities.

LH2 - if you do not have SEP Land in Section XII then you do not have SEP privileges - and an *INSTRUCTOR* is not eligible to sign the revalidation page, it must be an examiner (at least for it to count for anything). How will you fix that during an IR-ME?

wangus - you're good to go. Just need a flight test with examiner and a signature showing expiry date on that revalidation page (FCL150).

LH2
21st Jan 2009, 16:27
You can only have one licence from any particular issuing authority

I was under the impression it was only one licence of one particular type (i.e., one PPL, one CPL), but the CAA are closed now so I couldn't ask. In any event, JAR FCL-1.065 does support your assertion. :uhoh:

an *INSTRUCTOR* is not eligible to sign the revalidation page, it must be an examiner (at least for it to count for anything).

Yes that's what I meant. The revalidation is valid all right, it's just that I did not think of sending the SRG-whatever-it-is form along when I applied for my licence. Next time I have to deal with the CAA will be during my IR reval, and I'll put everything in the same envelope. Saves me an extra stamp. :cool:

Keygrip
21st Jan 2009, 18:03
If you went off on a private flight with your CPL in your flight bag, inadvertently blasted through Heathrow Control Zone, realised what you had done, attempted to keep quiet and try to drop below radar - but LHR tracked you to destination, alerted authorities who met you when you landed, and subsequently calculated that the aircraft was overweight, out of maintenance hours and carrying cocaine from Amsterdam....and they prosecuted you and took away your CPL - are you suggesting you could dust off the PPL from the drawer and go flying again because it's still in date?

LH2
22nd Jan 2009, 02:28
But Keygrip, that would not be a private flight if I'm carrying cargo :)

"cocaine"? "dust off" my PPL? :E

But no, you're right... I thought my PPL was still valid. I'm going to miss her :sad:

Keygrip
22nd Jan 2009, 03:28
Okay then - illegal charter......and let's add in medical expired or intoxicated.

Whatever you want, really.

BigGrecian
22nd Jan 2009, 13:56
They do actually include a letter/sheet with your Blue CPL which tells you to transfer the ratings page to your CPL from your PPL.

The part which really concerns me is the number of pilots (no longer students) who don't even bother to read it; if I had a £ for every time I heard, "I didn't get a letter" to which I then show them theirs.