PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of Naval Aviation

spheroid
21st Jan 2009, 08:01
BBC NEWS | England | Devon | Sailors fall off exercise frigate (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7840767.stm)

I hope that the one still in Hospital recovers quickly.

Be the best - Fly Navy

Mister-T
21st Jan 2009, 08:55
I have a question about this matter for all you sea dogs out there?

In todays Modern Royal Navy, that allows the fairer sex onboard are you still able to use the cry "Man Overboard"?

philrigger
21st Jan 2009, 09:49
;)

I wish all goes well for the two guys.
I have to wonder though, what the accident had to do with naval aviation.

Mister-T
21st Jan 2009, 10:18
Well they were flown to hospital by an RN helicopter, doesnt that qualify?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
21st Jan 2009, 10:37
Additionally, the T23s were built with aviation as a prime capability. SOMERSET’s aviation capability would seem to have been unavailable or not provided. Does that qualify?

charliegolf
21st Jan 2009, 11:14
I suspect they were airborne until right before the splash! Hope all is well.

XV277
21st Jan 2009, 12:12
I have to wonder though, what the accident had to do with naval aviation.

The ratings involved were were members of the aviation component on Somerset.

Wrathmonk
21st Jan 2009, 13:03
Careful - you don't want to highlight "The Dangers of Naval Aviation" in case one of those risk averse money grabbers on the 5th floor uses it as an excuse to get rid of it ...;)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery - even off the UK coast 15 mins is a long time in the water without (I'm assuming) a dry (or even a wet) suit.

airborne_artist
21st Jan 2009, 13:12
even off the UK coast 15 mins is a long time in the water without (I'm assuming) a dry (or even a wet) suit

Sea temp of 6.6C in the Channel today.

exscribbler
21st Jan 2009, 14:04
What's this HMS Culdrose they borrowed a sea rescue helo from? Dear, oh dear; bl**dy journos.

Green Flash
21st Jan 2009, 14:19
sea rescue helo

Well, they couldn't use a land rescue helo, or a sky rescue helo, or a space rescue helo, or a parallel dimension rescue helo, could they? ..... :hmm::ugh:

'Av a word with the BBC muppets please, Jacko

The Duke of Leinster
21st Jan 2009, 20:26
In response to other posts as to the relevance - Not only were the sailors part of the Ship's Flight but (according to my sources) they were actually in the process of raising the flight deck nets on completion of flying ops when they were swept off the back end of the ship.

All in all a perfect example of the dangers inherent in naval aviation.

taxydual
21st Jan 2009, 21:29
Notwithstanding the banter.

Over the years, Thousands of helo's have made thousands of deck landings, overseen by thousands of Ships Flight personnel without incident.

What went wrong on this occasion?

spheroid
21st Jan 2009, 21:37
I understand that the guys were both grubbers from the Ships flight who were either preparing the Flight Deck for Flying ops or derigging the flight deck when a Goffer took the pair of them. One other guy landed in the nets and recovered himself. T'other 2 ended up over the side.

spoz
22nd Jan 2009, 04:10
Nasty time of the year to be in the Channel; seems like it must have been daylight. Could have been nasty anyway, and more so at night.

philrigger
22nd Jan 2009, 08:10
;)

The ratings involved were were members of the aviation component on Somerset.

Thanks for that XV277. I did not read that in any of the reports I came across.

Phil