PDA

View Full Version : In praise of Air Malta

Final 3 Greens
21st Jan 2009, 06:57
Having given BA a bit of a bashing in another thread, for the sake of balance I'd like to recognise the performance of one of the EU's smaller airlines.

7 x A320 and 5 x A319 is a 'compact and bijou' fleet and world domination is unlikely to be on the agenda for a while ;), but having recently completed 175 segments with KM, I'd like to share my experiences

No cancelled flights
Most flights on time or nearly so
Generally friendly service
Good support from corporate sales/service

On a few occasions, I have found myself sitting in an airport somewhere around Europe, suffering bad weather or disruption and I have called the airline to ask them what's happening.

"Yes, yes, we're coming; we may be very late, but we will not leave you stranded."

And eventually an Airbus with a red tail and white, 8 pointed, cross pulls up on stand.

That's means a lot to me.

Thanks Air Malta, I'll be seeing you again shortly :ok:

GwynM
21st Jan 2009, 09:10
I used to use Air Malta a lot in 82 and 83 as it was cheaper by far to stop in Malta on the way to Libya than to fly direct from London (coming back had to be B Cal to get a drink and home quicker). I have always used the definition of cramped as an Air Malta 727.

I used to like Libyan Arab as well, probably the best in flight coffee I've ever tasted, although Benghazi used to be a little "disorganised".

WHBM
21st Jan 2009, 10:36
I have always used the definition of cramped as an Air Malta 727.
Air Malta never owned any 727s, but back in the 1980s-90s they would lease in one or two each summer from a variety of sources to supplement their fleet; they were essentially in charter configuration, different to the mainstream Air Malta fleet.

A sad moment was the 727 returning off-lease from this Maltese task to its South American operator Faucett of Peru in autumn 1990 ran out of fuel approaching Gander and crashed into the Atlantic, killing all the crews who had been performing the contract that summer and were returning home with the aircraft.

Final 3 Greens
21st Jan 2009, 10:42
Air Malta never owned any 727s, but back in the 1980s-90s they would lease in one or two each summer from a variety of sources to supplement their fleet;

There is at least one person who contributes here who was a captain on one such leased 727.

Diver_Dave
21st Jan 2009, 16:10
Never had any major problems in over 30 return.
MAN-MLA or LGW-MLA sectors.

However,

The horrific pricing at the moment means this years first trip is
LH and the second (even with the extra baggage charges for scuba kit)
is going to be EZ.

Sorry but a £50+ fuel surcharge for a summer flight is just a bit too
much (Fuel hedging or not). The flight cost for July August this year
quoted was nearly 100% more expensive than last £283 vs £151.
Last year booked in January as well. LH are coming in (via FRA) at £207,
and EZ (even with all charges) at £223. I know the £ is down against the €
but not that much!

Shame, because I agree with F3G and rather fly with KM but £50.00
is a lot for a sandwich and coffee!

DaveA