PDA

View Full Version : Stornoway Twins

Hompy
19th Jan 2009, 14:41
Anybody know why a Hercules was used for the Stornoway twins and not the S92? Was it an incubator or medical help problem?
Regardless, best of luck to them.

nodrama
19th Jan 2009, 15:13
Quote from the Herald:

A Scottish Ambulance Service supervisor said a Royal Navy Sea King helicopter carrying medical staff and incubators had landed earlier on Stornoway to help stabilise the twins.
He said: "We received a call at about 6.30pm last night that a 27 weeks pregnant female was having a twin birth.
"It is my understanding that the twins were born late last night, but we don't know what their condition is.
"We sent two consultants to Stornoway in the Sea King but, because of forecasts of snow and high winds, we didn't feel it was safe to fly to the mainland."

Being as the first a/c used was a Sea King, maybe the S-92 wasn't available?

chcoffshore
19th Jan 2009, 16:40
Rescued twins fight for life - , - Latest news & weather forecasts - MSN News UK (http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12981000)

The real story. Don't think it had anything to do with the S92!

But well done those involved.

19th Jan 2009, 18:34
I seems obvious that Prestwick SAR took the incubators and staff to Stornoway because the twins were in too delicate a condition to be taken direct to Glasgow by the S-92 at Stornoway. Then the Herc was used to transport the team and twins based on a medical assessment of what was best for the patients - a shortish and not too bumpy ride in a C130 or a longer and much bumpier ride in an S-92, not a difficult decision really.
Good job all round with a good result.:ok:

Hompy
20th Jan 2009, 07:59
Crab, having not done a vibration or noise difference study between the hercules or the S92 and the effect it may have on young patients it was not that obvious to me. Relative 'bumpiness' being a factor, of course it all becomes clear!

However, if the result is positive I would join in your congratulations to those involved.

sapper
21st Jan 2009, 13:16
Crab
Not quiet correct, would suggest you talk to your colleague's at the ARCCK. You may enjoy the answer.

Lioncopter
21st Jan 2009, 15:06
Spoke to a friend who flys with gamma on the air ambulance he commented that they were willing and able to do the job but were stood down!

Barndweller
22nd Jan 2009, 09:19
Can you put two incubators in the Gamma / SAS KingAir?

sonas
22nd Jan 2009, 09:36
My understanding is that the Kingair could take the 2 incubators but not all the supporting medical team hence the reason for a slightly bigger aircraft

DX Wombat
22nd Jan 2009, 10:00
As a retired Neonatal Nurse who has been involved with the transfer of extremely ill babies on countless occasions and who has also seen the way the RFDS Kingair is equipped, I am sure that it would have been impossible to accomodate all the equipment and staff necessary in the one aircraft. The incubators themselves are very big and heavy requiring very strong anchorage and I'm sure the retrieval team will have consisted of a minimum of one doctor and one nurse per baby plus all the portable equipment required. The incubator when fully equipped weighs around 16 stones. It is usually fitted to a standard ambulance trolley to which are attached various pieces of medical equipment such as infusion pumps, cardio-respiratory monitoring systems and large gas (air and oxygen) cylinders. Even if it were possible to squeeze it all in it would leave little or no room for sufficient access to the babies should they require any medical intervention en route.
I tried to find a photo for you but couldn't.)

TorqueOfTheDevil
24th Jan 2009, 18:16
suggest you talk to your colleague's at the ARCCK. You may enjoy the answer

You little tease...give us a clue!

cockney steve
24th Jan 2009, 21:40
The incubator when fully equipped weighs around 16 stones. It is usually fitted to a standard ambulance trolley to which are attached various pieces of medical equipment

So much for progress! I worked for Air-Shields (a Narco subsiduary) in the late 60's. we had a transport incubator which could be handled empty by one person , contained it's own Oxy-cylinder and gel-battery supply and was a fully self-contained version of the standard prem-ward incubator.

I had the pleasure of flying into Stornoway and benbecula in a Viscount, IIRC, to serviceand safety-check their incubators.

The Sisters at the Sacred heart Hospital , South Uist, insisted on providing a lunch......work progressed and a sister enquired how much longer it would be,to completion....the bus was waiting at my convenience :) Wonderful hHighland hospitality and a memorable journey.