PDA

View Full Version : Mep Written Test

moona
19th Jan 2009, 14:35
Hi all,

I'm due to take my written test for the Mep rating later this week. In order to prep for it im reading the Seneca POH and the MEP training book. Can anyone give me any pointers for specific areas to study.

Everyone i've spoken to says its not really that hard but any advice greatly appriciated, any gotchas I need to look out for?

Moona

flightlevel1985
19th Jan 2009, 15:37
When I did mine, the actual test breakdown was about 2/3 general MEP principles and 1/3 type specific, ie the seneca. For the former, make sure you know everything about asymmetric flying and critical engines. For the latter, learn all the 'V' speeds, fuel and systems for the seneca. I seem to remember the second bit being a gotcha due to the fact they had the total fuel capacity in both Imp Gals and US Gals. So i guess RTFQ and RTFA are good points to remember lol. I read the POH, a multi engine principles book and watched a video and managed it first time. Good luck.

OneIn60rule
19th Jan 2009, 17:47
Failed it first time as was told it's easy.

Almost right, managed 73%.

Type specific questions were there so just know the pressures, temps max and min and so on. Max weight of the aircraft on RAMP.

Which engine is the critical engine on xxXX.

Blue radial is?

Red radial is?

is there a Vmcg for twins?

Simple mass and balance question.

Question on battery volt etc.

I wouldn't worry a lot about it since you get debriefed on what you did wrong and the next paper is fairly similiar to the one before.

If you have an MEP book then yes you should manage fine but there are still a few things you have to remember from the ATPL's.

1/60

greekboy
19th Jan 2009, 18:47
Hi

Did mine in the Dutchess which consisted of 2 thirds general and the rest type specific eg tyre pressures, usable fuel load, Vmc speed, critical engine or not, cross-feed system etc

Useful book is ASA'S "TRANSITION TO TWINS" by David Robson which I read front to back before my MEP course. If you read(not learn)this book and listen to your ground instructor regarding the type specifics you will pass.I got full marks by prepping beforehand but I have to admit that the instuctor was excellent too.:ok:

good luck

gb

irishone
19th Jan 2009, 21:59
I did both the FAA and JAA written MEP test. Very similar, but needed to know more information for the FAA. I used the a/c POH, in my case was seminole, and the pof atpl book. The propeller section. Thats really it. Its very straight forward, both of them. Im not sure if your doing faa or jaa. Just know a lot about Vmc...factors etc, crit engines, why twins dont have a crit eng, prop gov was a big one as well. Be able to explain it in detail, if faa be able to draw the system out.

moona
20th Jan 2009, 08:27
Niceone, thanks for the feedback guys. Given me some good pointers here.

Moona