PDA

View Full Version : University degree

757_wannabe
19th Jan 2009, 07:51
Hi everyone, i've had a search for threads regarding this but havent had any luck. Just wondered if anyone would be able to give me some information on the usefulness of a university degree when it comes to applying for jobs. I have a 2:1 Bsc(hons) in Geography from Glasgow Universtiy. Obviously sim checks (If i am lucky enough to get one! :) ) and interview skills etc are more important but was hoping it might give me a little edge.

Many thanks.

BitMoreRightRudder
19th Jan 2009, 08:28
If you go and have a look in the sticky archive thread at the top of the page there is a massive thread called "University or not" or something along those lines. It covers most of it.

I've always thought it is best to have a CV with a degree on it for a whole host of reasons, particularly when looking for a job where you have no real experience. It makes some difference when applying to airline specific mentored ("sponsorship") schemes with CTC, Bae etc. But then I've got a degree, so I would think that, wouldn't I?!

one post only!
19th Jan 2009, 12:17
Yeah but BMRR your degree is in flower arranging from Hull tech! I do agree though that a "real" degree will always stand you in good stead.

preduk
19th Jan 2009, 12:35
I wouldn't say a University degree would give you a better chance, it would just give you a better backup if things go wrong.

Guava Tree
19th Jan 2009, 13:40
A university degree might be good for you, but on the other hand it might be seen as a long term threat by your immediate superiors, who may well have only their own interests at heart, not the interests of the company. Immediate superiors can be very detrimental to your career.

bajadj
19th Jan 2009, 14:28
I would have thought a degree in geography would be no help at all during a sim check. Unless the sim was incredibly advanced and you could point out all the different types of rock if your sim check was a jolly over snowdonia.

I'm not sure about whether your JAA exam results are the most important thing either, i would suggest a first series IR pass would be top of the list.

757_wannabe
19th Jan 2009, 18:10
Thanks everyone. Apologies for not seeing the thread in the archives.