PDA

View Full Version : RAF Scampton is safe

ZH875
19th Jan 2009, 07:43
The future of a Lincolnshire air base is secure, the Government's Defence Secretary has assured Echo readers. In an exclusive interview, John Hutton said RAF Scampton will not close once the Red Arrows move and operations are scaled back.
The announcement comes after years of uncertainty over its future.
Mr Hutton said: "The RAF will continue to have a significant presence in Lincolnshire – and that applies to RAF Scampton.
"I can categorically state there are no plans to close the base."

The Echo revealed in May last year that the Red Arrows would move to RAF Waddington by 2011.
In the same month, announcements were made that operations at base would be scaled back further by 2014.
But Mr Hutton was unable to add hope for people working at RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey, near Scunthorpe.
"Kirton-in-Lindsey will be shut by 2014 as previously reported," he added.
The Ministry of Defence confirmed that control centres at RAF Scampton and Kirton-in-Lindsey would relocate to RAF Coningsby.
The control centre operates the remaining Asacs satellite system which controls aircraft deployment and keeps an eye on the sky for rogue pilots infringing British air space.
From the Lincolnshire Echo (http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Exclusive-RAF-Scampton-close/article-623360-detail/article.html)

Is it safe because the MOD can not afford to close it, thanks to English Heritage.?

taxydual
19th Jan 2009, 08:39
"I can categorically state there are no plans to close the base."

That'll be the kiss of death then. ;)

pr00ne
19th Jan 2009, 11:10
??????????????????????????

Then why on earth waste money by reproviding accomodation for the Red Arrows that already exists at Scampton?

BEagle
19th Jan 2009, 11:32
For once I agree with you!

harrogate
19th Jan 2009, 11:51
They just need to book in a multi-million pound runway resurfacing scheme, and that'll seal it's fate.

Closed within 4 years from now.

pr00ne
19th Jan 2009, 12:23
BEagle,

Point of order.

I believe that, over the years, it is in fact the third time!

aw ditor
19th Jan 2009, 14:29
Safe for what (purpose) then?

pontifex
19th Jan 2009, 15:34
Never believe a rumour until it has been officially denied.

airborne_artist
19th Jan 2009, 15:58
My old man shut down HMS Excellent, a shore establishment in Portsmouth. Then someone changed their minds, and it was re-commissioned about eight or nine years later.

Linedog
19th Jan 2009, 16:08
Just like they spent millions building the new navigation school at Finningley, then closed the place.
Don't believe them. They lie!:=

STANDTO
19th Jan 2009, 17:21
What about the bemoaning about the length of time it took to get between Cranwell and Scampton for the ground crew, the picking up and dropping off of the tape etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

How busy is the pattern at Wadders? can't they just practice over there? after all, how long does it take? 25 minutes?

But then there is the golf:)

harrogate
19th Jan 2009, 17:31
How busy is the pattern at Wadders? Can't they just practice over there? after all, how long does it take? 25 minutes?

From Scampton to Waddo as the Hawk flies?

From apron to apron, it's just over 9 miles.

Do the maths.

TEEEJ
19th Jan 2009, 17:33
The Reds are currently on temp detachment at Waddington - Mon 19th - Fri 23rd Jan.

RAF Red Arrows - The Red Arrows Team News (http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=DED73BF8-1143-EC82-2E19F385E2ABAF67)

SirToppamHat
19th Jan 2009, 18:57
The control centre operates the remaining Asacs satellite system which controls aircraft deployment and keeps an eye on the sky for rogue pilots infringing British air space.

Feckwits.

But then there is the golf

What golf? I think Gainsborough is reasonably accessible from Scampton or Waddington. Edited to add 'oh no it's not!' (Google Earth is great).

STH

themightyimp
21st Jan 2009, 22:03
Bye Bye Scampton. English Heritage is loosly similar to a Grade listing. Big isues with changing things better to let it rot which is not against it's rules.

If the reds go there is only some FC (sorry Airspace Battle Manager's) left, How long are they going to be there?

Pure Pursuit
22nd Jan 2009, 10:17
Out by 2014, relocated at Coningsby.

Jackonicko
22nd Jan 2009, 10:42
I'll place a small wager that 2018 will be the Red's last display season anyway.

exscribbler
22nd Jan 2009, 20:39
I'm sure Scampton is safe; last time I was there abolutely nothing was going on so there was no danger to anyone...