PDA

View Full Version : Passenger's Flight Logbook/Journal

nike
19th Jan 2009, 01:48
Hello all,

I am wanting to buy one for my Daughter to keep track of the flying she will do throughout her life (She is 4 months old and just had her first trip).

Can you suggest any?

I have googled and so far found this:

http://www.aviationworld.net/product.asp?pID=31&cID=519

but would like a few more to choose from.

Cheers.

Michael SWS
19th Jan 2009, 05:04
Do people really do such things? :bored:

And you really think she'll be interested, once she becomes old enough to make her own decisions?

L5Brassco
19th Jan 2009, 05:49
nike, great idea.:ok:
I have 40 yr old pax ask me to fill in their logbooks! I always take the log book to the flight deck to get the correct mileage. Tech crew and I look at the flying history and are amazed at the amount of travel some children do.
My airline (QF) doesn't have them anymore, although there has been talk of bringing them back. The ones I usually see are the old BA log books, often 2 or 3 of them glued together.
Keep searching...

Final 3 Greens
19th Jan 2009, 08:13
Nike

Why not just get her a PPL logbook?

There is no reason why passenger time can't be logged, it's lawful, here is one type

NLB010 1 Pooleys Pilot Flying Log Book - NEW EDITION (http://www.av8-pilotshop.co.uk/nlb010-1-pooleys-pilot-flying-log-book---new-edition-697-p.asp)

Beware, she may want you to pay for flying hours to fill it up later in life :}

Rob82
19th Jan 2009, 09:35
I had a guy that wanted me to fill one in about a month ago, he'd logged all his hours as pax since he'd been in the war. All he used was a homemade excel spreadsheet bound into his own logbook. This means you can record all the details you want and can add pages as and when you need to.
First time i'd come across this but it kept him happy :ok:

gdiphil
19th Jan 2009, 19:26
Well this takes me back! In May 1963 aged 11 when travelling from Singapore to Heathrow via Calcutta, Karachi and Istambul on a BOAC Bristol Britannia we kids were issued with membership of the Junior Jet club, route, mileage and signature of the captain together with the type of aircraft flown all faithfully filled out. We were issued with a badge, a shiney gold coloured one too, which was greatly sought after at school (kids collected those things in those days). Of course it was not the thing to have as I got older and in my teens all that stuff was got rid of. Now, after goodness knows how many journeys all over the world it would be interesting to have kept the log up to date, just for curiousity's sake.

Helol
19th Jan 2009, 19:37
Blimey, I was about to start a thread asking what on earth happened to the 'Junior Jet Club'.

I remember my first 747 flight from London to Jo'burg in 1975 with BA No sooner had we taken off, we had to return because of engine trouble.

Whatever happened to the Junior Jet Club? Is it considered 'naff' these days?

TightSlot
19th Jan 2009, 19:57
I periodically get asked to obtain pilot signatures for JJC logbooks - always pleased to do so.

PAXboy
19th Jan 2009, 21:12
gdiphil why do you have to beat me to be the first to say:
Junior Jet Club in this thread? :(

But I might be able to beat some of you to the date of joining:
December 5th 1965
LHR to JNB
via CIA + NBO
VC-10
:ok:

As it happens, the greater part of my flying was from 18 onwards so it did not get that many entries. I, too, lost my JJC log book when I left home at 18 (BA 741 JNB-LHR, natch). A few years ago, a friend who has to travel extensively for work told me that he had kept a spreadsheet for work and the time he spent travelling and just extended it for leisure travel.

So I started to reconstruct all my trips ... there are a few gaps in the early years when I cannot recall the EQU or dates but I have all of the significant stuff. From 1990 onwards, I have kept a regular electronic appointment diary, so I could go back and locate the details. I update my spreadsheet each time I fly but I don't record the a/c registration or mileage.

I think that it's great you can get these books and I think I'll get one for my great nephew because his dad is an ATPL. I like the fact that my spreadsheet is an extra bit of memory for me as I age (pass the Zimmer frame over) and it does not matter if, in later years, Miss nike decides not to continue with it. Who knows, perhaps in 40 years time she will be on PPRuNe saying, "My parents got me this log book and I wish I could find it now."

So thanks nike for a great idea (and check your PMs), I think it's the name in gold on the front that really makes it worth the while. :p

nike
20th Jan 2009, 02:19
Thanks guys.

I'm tech crew with CX and we get them coming into the flight deck, well, I wouldn't say often, but periodically, and less so lately. I like the idea and being a first time Dad wanted to get one.

I fired some emails to our marketing department as we too once had them, but unfortunately no longer. It sounds like a trend around the various airlines these days. Shame. Maybe an opportunity for interested SLF to rekindle?

I have now ordered the one from my link above, it's simple and like the idea she can have her name embossed on the cover.

Cheers all!

Seat62K
20th Jan 2009, 08:01
Ah, the Junior Jet Club!

What a wonderful thing it was to receive the periodic magazines, complete with the names of the children who had passed the multiples of 25,000 miles milestones! I was amazed to see some had achieved over 100,000 miles (remember, this would have been on one airline).

And the logbook with a photograph of O.P.Jones! I must dig mine out!

PAXboy
20th Jan 2009, 11:02
As I understand it, the high mileage children were those in the diplomatic and military, or whose parents were ex-pats in HKG, SIN and so forth. The children might be at school in the UK and go out and back every year, or more.

If you have time to waste (which I didn't but I wasted it anyway ... :O)

Search eBay co uk for 'Junior Jet Club' :8
Search also in your regular search engine. Quite apart from the expected results, there are some mixed up ones of music and other stuff.

I also learnt that the JJC was formed in 26th March 1957! and the enthusiast that runs a VC-10 web site has this:
Testing and early days (http://www.vc10.net/Memories/testing_earlydays.html#The%20BOAC%20Junior%20Jet%20Club)

Oh well, I had better go and see my clients and leave childhood behind for a while ...

gdiphil
20th Jan 2009, 21:00
Oh sorry Paxboy but I did join two years earlier, late May 1963. As I said before it was Singapore to London on a Britannia. In fact the first leg was aborted due to the outer starboard engine going tech. We returned to Singapore and BOAC put us up in the Raffles Hotel which in those days was incredibly colonial in attitude towards airline passengers, very deferential indeed, even to an eleven year old boy. Three days later off we went again and I got my JJC wings. It's ridiculous but I still feel "the romance" of it all.

Lucky you going on a VC10. Never flew on one and my own fault really. I could have gone LHR to Brunei in 1978 on one but didn't. I was suckered into the SIA advertising of the day (you know the story, young man, pictures of pretty girls in advertising, to say nothing of the opportunity to visit the 747 flight deck at night over Turkey) so I never got the chance to go one.

PAXboy
20th Jan 2009, 21:22
Well, gdiphil, I guess we call it quits? You got the Britannia and Raffles but I got the VC-10. (Psst, later I got the Super as well!! :E)

(nike thanks for the pm and I am now ordering the pax log book for my great nephew who has already had his first two sectors before his first birthday.)

Globaliser
23rd Jan 2009, 15:06
Do people really do such things? :bored:I certainly do, and still do - although it's probably the geekiest thing that I do. But it has been very useful at times. Last year, I had to list all my overseas travel since 2001. The log earned its worth just for that alone.

The one I use I got from the Aviation Hobby Shop in West Drayton. Don't know if they still sell them - couldn't find it on their website but it's a pretty poor website.As I understand it, the high mileage children were those in the diplomatic and military, or whose parents were ex-pats in HKG, SIN and so forth. The children might be at school in the UK and go out and back every year, or more.When I was at boarding school in the UK, I was doing LHR-HKG-LHR three times a year, at every major school holiday.

I didn't think that that could be improved on, but was quite startled to find recently that Hong Kong children at UK boarding school now generally fly home for all three half-term holidays as well. Six round-trips a year. It does go to show just how cheap air travel has become in the [x] decades since I was doing it.

Jendayes
27th Feb 2009, 04:33
Ive just been sent my JJC badge from flight Heathrow to Sydney, 7 08 1966. Captain is O P Jones. I have scanned the log if anyone is interested in a copy. I am not a pilot, just a passenger.

clareprop
27th Feb 2009, 10:04
Michael SWS

Do people really do such things? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wbored.gif

Well, it would appear you now have the answer to your rather condescending question..

Rainboe
27th Feb 2009, 15:30
There is no counting the number of JJC logbooks I have filled in on the Flight Deck, both for Captains, and on my own behalf during flights. It was always a pleasure- I know kids delight in these things. I used to have a peek at the travelling they'd done, and look at the Captain's names for old pals, and even find my own name in past pages. It was nice to see other airlines honouring the JJC books as well. I wish I had kept it going for my own kids! It would be lovely for them to have a record now. I consider it one of the airline marketing disasters the way the emphasis has been allowed to fall away from them, but such is business life these days!

I would strongly encourage anyone with kids now or in the future to keep a log for them and attach it to the little b******s passports! I even liked doing it for adults. Never be shy to ask for the crew to do it! It's one of the few areas in the industry where we can give a personal service.

Der absolute Hammer
27th Feb 2009, 15:53
While I do not quite hear the sounds of Parsifal above me, that was, how you say, well said said and shows that under that sometimes dragonish exterior there beats a noble heart.

strake
27th Feb 2009, 17:10
There is no counting the number of JJC logbooks I have filled in on the Flight Deck, both for Captains, and on my own behalf during flights. It was always a pleasure- I know kids delight in these things.

Rainboe, just come back from a flight to Damascus by any chance? :ok:

Rainboe
27th Feb 2009, 17:43
Sadly no! I go to far, far colder places these days! DAM was back in the mid 70s for me!

PAXboy
2nd Mar 2009, 23:40
At long last the log book I ordered for my great nephew has arrived from Toronto. It looks great! The printing of the name on the front is fine.

Talking of such things, this thread is the best to relate: an acquaintance of mine, sorting her late husband's papers wrote: I have found two scrolls given to ***** in July 1957 and July 1958 on crossing the equator in a Flying Dutchman Convair CV240. He was flying from Amsterdam to Lima and was ten and eleven years old at the time.

Did anyone else get 'crossing the line' papers whilst airborne?

angels
3rd Mar 2009, 10:44
First time I've seen this thread. What a great idea a pax log book is.

I've used to fly all over the world with my kids (don't worry folks, they were always incredibly well behaved) and now regret not having done something so they could see how fortunate they've been to have travelled so much in their early years. Good luck to all who are recording their own travels.

Er, and Rainboe, Google Road to Damscus!

Nice one strake!! :}

vitamin B
3rd Mar 2009, 11:00
I have been using a service provided on www.airfleets.com to record my travels for the past 8-10 years. Mores the pity I didn't start keeping records of flights/ A/C registrations when I first started flying as a pax back in '46.

The register gives a good record of where one has been or gone. Currently I am sitting in Air NZ lounge in MEL en route BKK/SGN

Rainboe
3rd Mar 2009, 11:47
Er, and Rainboe, Google Road to Damscus!
Pray why? If it's the meaning I think you are trying to make, I always look after my passengers and the kids too. I used to have giant queues of kids to troop into the flightdecks until the Club pax started to lose patience. It's the idiots here who get my wrath only, and only when they step out of line, but then, they aren't paying for my professional services! I am such an airline whore, but when I am paid for my services, I ensure I provide VFM. The principle being if I don't, I won't get asked again!

But twerps here- no mercy.