PDA

View Full Version : Good drills from the C130 guys

sirsaltyhelmet
19th Jan 2009, 00:33
I hope it works

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Hercules to transfer baby twins (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7836740.stm)

MightyGem
19th Jan 2009, 01:17
Good luck to all involved. Hope it all turns out right.

K.Whyjelly
19th Jan 2009, 10:29
Interested to hear on a radio news bulletin that "a Hercules helicopter" performed the airlift op:hmm:

cornish-stormrider
19th Jan 2009, 11:52
Excellent effort and well done to the Trukkie troops!!

This is a salutory lesson about the need for a well funded, equipped, and manned set of armed services.

Hope and pray the wee bairns make it.

DB6
19th Jan 2009, 13:06
KY, nope, read the BBC report - it was a Hercules JET. Get it right......:eek:.

tyne
19th Jan 2009, 14:09
"Interested to hear on a radio news bulletin that "a Hercules helicopter" performed the airlift op "

Yeah that pissed me off too. Just rung up to point out to another national news organisation that the C130 is not a jet.

It makes it very hard for me to defend fellow journalists when silly little things like this slip through the net...

Needless to say my news team is now thoroughly briefed.

STANDTO
19th Jan 2009, 16:13
probaby grow up deaf after a ride in the back, but at least they are safe and sound.:D

Great story.

N Joe
19th Jan 2009, 17:06
BBC's lunchtime coverage was spot on, with pics of the J sat on the pan overlaid with Ascot 520's clearance to taxy, an overview of the round trip sortie and an expalnation of why the Herc was used because the air ambulance couldn't operate in such bad weather conditions.

Well done to all involved and all the best to the twins.

N Joe

taxydual
19th Jan 2009, 18:27
OK, I admit I get 'gushy' when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm ex-RAF, but it makes me immensely proud when the RAF do this type of thing. They do it bloody well. Long may they do so.

My personal thanks to the crew and the backroom guys who did this. OK, I'm just a nobody now, but my thanks and my admiration still go out to you.

As an aside, for any RAF PR guys who read this.

Wouldn't it be nice if the two 'little fighters' were given a set RAF Wings to remind them (in later life, God willing) of their dramatic first day of life.

Union Jack
19th Jan 2009, 18:45
.... not to mention the crew of the Royal Navy Sea King which took the medics, and the incubators to Stornoway, and without which the twins could not have flown in the first place.

I'm ex-RAF, but it makes me immensely proud when the RAF do this type of thing. They do it bloody well. Long may they do so.

In other words (rather like the Hudson splashdown), a big BZ to all concerned, light blue, dark blue, and civilians.:ok:

Jack

taxydual
19th Jan 2009, 18:51
Union Jack. You are quite right. BZ's all way round.

Bugger, there's too much dust around my computer desk, it's getting in my eyes again.

Faithless
19th Jan 2009, 19:05
.... not to mention the crew of the Royal Navy Sea King which took the medics, and the incubators to Stornoway, and without which the twins could not have flown in the first place.

:=Tunnel vision again chaps lets not forget the Royals and to all others involved and not only C130 guys :hmm:

mad eng
19th Jan 2009, 20:08
Did have a little moment when, having been awake for less than a minute this morning, the radio report started " An RAF C 130........". Gonay no say that please!! Next time round it started with "Premature twins were flown by an RAF C 130.........". Much better.

Good skills fellas

chappie
20th Jan 2009, 11:44
Mad eng, Have to say I had the same thought as you, which was a bit unfortunate given I was on a slip road entering a motorway at speed and nearly ended up in need of air ambulance myself! I am ashamed to say that as the the report started with the fateful words an RAF C130 Hercules......but then January is not a good month for me as I count down the anniversary.:{

To all involved I am bloody proud of you all, this extends to everyone involved. We are so lucky to have our armed forces. Well done. Fingers crossed for wee ones and their parents.:D:D:D

VitaminGee
20th Jan 2009, 12:56
:ok: to all!

One hears that the wee boy is to be named Albert.

airborne_artist
20th Jan 2009, 15:01
One hears that the wee boy is to be named Albert

After the French town perhaps?

The Captain of the aircraft was French exchange Major :ok:

ExHerkmate
20th Jan 2009, 23:47
Happy to see that the RAF still trust their "borrowed" exchange officers to perform all of the same missions as they would one of their own. Keep up the good work!
ExHerkmate