PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars The Video Game

notmyC150v2
18th Jan 2009, 22:46
Hi guys,

This is the problem, my kids were given "Star Wars the Video Game" on pc for christmas. It won't work on my home computer because the video card is incompatable. So I tried loading it on my work laptop.

I have a toshiba satelite m300 with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 video card. After loading the game, when I try to start it up a dialogue box pops up and says that "a required security module cannot be activated. This program cannot be executed".

Any ideas? Is it the video card or is there some other problem you guys might be aware of?

I have tried the sites for activision, lucasarts and lego and none of them have help for this game. I have even googled it with no success.

Kids screaming, dad at wits end, help before mass slaughter ensues... :eek:

hellsbrink
19th Jan 2009, 01:56
Sounds like the copyright "protection" isn't loading in properly, it probably needs a fresh install.

notmyC150v2
19th Jan 2009, 03:15
Thanks. Giving it a try now. :ok:

Bushfiva
19th Jan 2009, 05:25
a required security module cannot be activated

That's SecuRom doing its malevolent grubby thing. Do you have any virtual CD drivers on your machine? Running Vista with Explicit Congestion Notification enabled? Running any software that SecuRom has blacklisted? Any other kind of emulator or debugger? If everything's legitimate, you could generate a log file and send it to SecuRom.

notmyC150v2
20th Jan 2009, 00:52
Thanks Bushfiva but could you tell me how I would find out?

I got this email from the software company in response to my query saying that it could be because I may have a dvd copying program on my machine. I mean who doesn't for gods sake, they come with the computer.

Thoroughly confused :confused::confused::confused:

Bushfiva
20th Jan 2009, 01:35
ECN is unlikely to be enabled unless you explicitly did so at some point.

The copying program may or may not be the problem. It could be a problem if any of its drivers are permanently resident, to allow packet writing to CDs (where you can write to them several times before finalizing them). For example, EZCD or whatever it's called now.

Basically, SecuRom is designed to stop a protected program running if it thinks you aren't running it from the original media, so it blocks things like virtual drives that could host an ISO image. It also blocks anything that looks as though it could be looking at the data stream within the application, because that could be an indication of someone hoping to circumvent the protection. There are a bazillion ways SecuROM can interfere with your day. Their web site is quite helpful, and will show you how to create a log file you can then submit to them. They'll tell you what the problem is. You can start the help process at SecuROM (http://www.securom.com/support.asp) and SecuROM (http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis).

Rant: You'll note SecuROM is a Sony product, and it's the main reason (together with what's known in Japan as the "Sony Timer", where Sony gear is reputed to fail one day out of warranty) I no longer buy Sony.