PDA

View Full Version : Pension

ORAC
18th Jan 2009, 18:41
Out of idle curiosity, since I am single and want to keep money out of the hands of Brown et al, what are the rules about pensions if I decided to either marry or take out a gay partnership? What would their entitlement be, and for how long?

Not that, at present, I am happy to otherwise than single, but if it would be good to be aware of the rules and regulations.

Al R
18th Jan 2009, 20:20
Are you referring to the occasion of your death or divorce? If the latter, a pensions sharing order would need to have been established.

These might help.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/08E22EFC-E209-4FC4-BFA7-B9C210D82E06/0/afps05_mmp126_family_pension_benefits.pdf

https://www.sharingpensions.co.uk/valuation_uniformed_services.htm

Pontius Navigator
18th Jan 2009, 20:38
ORAC,

There are, I believe 2 aspects.

First is divorce. They will possibly retain rights to part of your pension and gratutity.

Secondly is death - yours. They will get a death in-service benefit if you die before you retire. They will get a half pension if you die later.

If you are desparate you can perhaps market yourself with pensionable prospects :}

ORAC
18th Jan 2009, 20:45
I retired in 1999, the thing that brought it to mind is that I reach 55 on 14th February when my pension jumps back up after the amount I commuted and to reflect inflation. If I wanted to I could retire next month - not that I would - and I'd hate to get hit by a bus and see Gordon and Darling pocket everything.

So, yes, it was trying to see if I could ensure someone got something for as long as possible after I'm gone.

Al R
18th Jan 2009, 20:55
Lots of variables ORAC. Are you in the '75' scheme (below)?

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

soddim
18th Jan 2009, 21:42
The solution is to marry a 21-year old - have fun!

Wader2
19th Jan 2009, 12:43
I retired in 1999, the thing that brought it to mind is that I reach 55 on 14th February when my pension jumps back up after the amount I commuted and to reflect inflation. If I wanted to I could retire next month - not that I would - and I'd hate to get hit by a bus and see Gordon and Darling pocket everything.

So, yes, it was trying to see if I could ensure someone got something for as long as possible after I'm gone.

Ah, as you have retired things may be more difficult. It used to be the case that a pension for a post-service marriage ceased on death. In one respect this is not unreasonable as you might have retired at 38 and at the age of 90 married some money grubbing strumpet aged 21. The strumpet might then live for another 70 years meaning that HMG had to pay you and your spouse for some 120 odd years - not a bad return after 16 years service.

However more common was the case of two married officers. No 1 is widowed at the age of, say 60, and No 2 dies after retirement leaving a wido in receipt of a widows pension. The survivors marry and continue to enjoy the pension from No 1 and the widow's pension ceases. Then No 1 also dies but there is no reinstateent of the widows pension. This is clearly unfair.

In your case you could contact the Officers Pension Society as they have been campaigning for a change to the rules - I don't know what the situtation as far as post-retirment marriage is right now; it certainly used not to attract a widow's pension.

ORAC
19th Jan 2009, 13:31
Looks like I only have 4 years were that would apply Wader2...

Post Retirement Marriage Widows’ Pensions

On 6th April 1978 the Armed Forces Pension Scheme was changed to allow widows who married their husbands after leaving the Armed Forces to have a pension. There was no opportunity to 'buy-in' previous service so there is a block that bars any service prior to 6th April 1978 from counting towards such a pension. Some widows have no entitlement because their husbands left the Armed Forces prior to this date; others have only a portion of entitlement because their husbands had service before and after that date. FPS have long campaigned on this matter and so far have had no success in persuading the Government to remove this unfairness.....