PDA

View Full Version : Tips re. Good Landing Sites and Overnight in Cornwall

Torquetalk
17th Jan 2009, 07:40
Hi

A colleague is flying on a trip to Cornwall in several weeks time and has asked about local recommendations re. landing sites and hotels.

Appreciate any info I can pass on.

TT

VeeAny
17th Jan 2009, 09:00
Any idea where roughly he is going ?

I've lived here for 3 years and still haven't seen half of it.

GS

chopjock
17th Jan 2009, 09:46
50° 8'53.97"N
5° 3'25.81"W

Falmouth Hotel Owner has an R22 and you can land on the front lawn. ring them first.

You can get fuel from Staddon Heights near Plymouth on the way. (no landing fees)

Contact Us (http://www.hovercam.com/Hovercam/Contact_Us.html) :ok:

Torquetalk
17th Jan 2009, 10:26
Thanks.

Think the trip is pretty open. Where will probably be influenced on available info.

TT

JimBall
17th Jan 2009, 13:29
Visit to Tresco island in the Scillies a must. They allow helis Mon-Sat and they have the choice of an excellent hotel or pub in which to spend the night. See here (http://www.tresco.co.uk/)

griffothefog
17th Jan 2009, 14:53
I'm pretty sure they have a pad at the Porthminster hotel overlooking St. Ives bay. I know I have landed there a few times in the past, but that was air ambulance work and it was a long time ago. The hotel is fantastic and the views to die for..:ok:

revs&checks
17th Jan 2009, 15:10
I have seen helos at The Headland Hotel at Newquay and also the Nare Hotel at St Mawes has a pad - both stunning and right on the coast.

There is a HLS in the BHAB handbook which is located at Hayle and Truro airfield may be available but is, AFAIK, unlicensed.

Fuel wise, I am sure Avgas would be available at Lands End, Perranporth and Bodmin - Jet A1 from ?Lands End, Penzance Heliport and Newquay.

I would agree with the Scilly Isles. Just a short water crossing with excellent ATC both sides. The Islands are stunning, even in the winter and the gardens on Tresco are well worth a visit.

docstone
17th Jan 2009, 16:34
Tad tight, PPN (to clear the chairs and guests), warm welcome and decent food.

FloaterNorthWest
17th Jan 2009, 19:00
Tight is an understatement for the Carlyon Bay!

FNW

griffothefog
18th Jan 2009, 06:25
FNW,

You obviously never saw Truro "city" hospital's emergency pad from the 80,s :eek:

firebird_uk
18th Jan 2009, 10:10
Be aware that the fuel at Bodmin is in a confined area some 50ft or so below the runway elevation.

You need to tower away from the fuel so best to drop the pax at the cafe, get fuel, tower away and then pick them up. Or you could do what I did once and get less fuel and have to make an unplanned fuel stop later in the trip. :ugh:

Helinut
18th Jan 2009, 10:11
TT,

I am guessing but I assume that your friend will be making a private flight? It does make a difference to the answers you are seeking.

It may also help if you say what he wants to land in Cornwall.

Helinut

griffothefog
18th Jan 2009, 13:58
If it's a spaceship, can I recommend St Lawrence's in Bodmin :}

Torquetalk
18th Jan 2009, 16:25
Yes, this is a private trip (not mine)

As previously said, I don't think the agenda is very fixed and will probably be guided in part by some of the information offered here.

Many thanks for the info provided.

TT

rotorboater
19th Jan 2009, 13:21
You could try Camelot castle, loads of room to land but the owner is a weird artist type.

Hotels and Accommodation in Cornwall - Camelot Castle, Tintagel (http://www.camelotcastle.com/)

scooter boy
19th Jan 2009, 13:53
I've been flying Robinsons in Corwall for 7 years and I would agree that a visit to Tresco in the Scillies is a must. A daytrip may be the safest weather option as having stable conditions lasting more than 1 day is a rare event and this time of year the weather can be a showstopper. Getting there by heli is a real kick. The Abbey gardens are beautiful and well worth a visit.

Roserrow is very near Polzeath (walking distance) and is nice for a daytrip.

My hangar/pad is about 10 miles inside the Cornish border at N 5031.10 W 00420.48 with a PCL on 123.45. There is plenty of space and the approach is easy (has to be the way I fly!)

All are welcome, cups of tea are normally available, just PM me first.

SB