PDA

View Full Version : PA Spine and medical cat question?

Spit the Dog
16th Jan 2009, 18:21
Part of the pre-requisite to staying on the PA spine until aged 55, was to maintain your flying medical cat. Has anybody heard of a case yet where someone has been medically downgraded and are unable to fly and on the PA spine? If so what are the options if you have been on for over 5 years?

Biggus
17th Jan 2009, 07:02
Spit,

Sorry I can't help on the medical side, but I can mention one other consideration - effects on pension.

If (and I don't know if it will be the case) a medical downgrading means coming off the PA spine but staying in the RAF, with a subsequent reduction in "basic", if not overall, pay, and you have transfered to the 05 pension scheme, you may wish to consider leaving within 2 years anyway. This is on the basis that the 05 pension scheme looks at the highest ("basic") pay you recieved in your last 3 years when working out your pension. So, if you come off the PA spine but leave inside 2 years then it will be your final year of PA spine salary, which will no doubt be higher than any basic pay band you go back to, that is used when calculating your pension.

Just a thought, for what it is worth! If it does happen you will have 2 years to look at the numbers in detail and come to a decision in slow time.

Good luck with the medical aspects, sorry I couldn't help you there.

ianp
17th Jan 2009, 09:54
Spit,

This is also a subject close to my heart. Sort of thing it is easy just not to think about unless the worse happens and I wish you the best of luck if that is the case.
I am not sure about this but vaguely remember hearing that if you are medically discharged that results in a reduction in taxation on your subsequent pension. Have heard the British Legion are particularly good at representing servicemens interests in this respect.

All the best

Ian

Spit the Dog
17th Jan 2009, 17:28
Biggus....good tip, thank you very much.

SuctionBoost
17th Jan 2009, 19:22
Spit

Distant memory but, is it not that you should be employable in a flying or a flying related post to remain on the PA spine. No doubt the answer lies somewhere in JSP 7xx.

Spit the Dog
18th Jan 2009, 07:45
Yes it does state the 'flying related position', but I was sure you also had to maintain your flying medical cat!