PDA

View Full Version : Word on IRS fleet, pls

flareout BC
16th Jan 2009, 11:54
Some three weeks back their EMB-145 was in Benin City, a full house charter on a private event. As of first quarter '08, the company soldiered on with the last of their original three-ship F-28 4000 acquired from South Africa's Airquirius. There was a B737-200 which didnt do much flying, seems, aside the two F-100s. First '100 was written off, second jet seems grounded some twelve months now. Its reg was the comely 5N-CEO. Personally, I find IRS' efforts inspiring because they seem to not fear tough markets: they were reported to have done a Kano-Maiduguri-Yola return service in Y2005, shaming the Aero's and VK's of this world who never dare in spite of deeper pockets; their EMB acquisition was/is bold by traditional Nigerian airline standards {the new gen aircraft is on the Nigerian reg and is known to have been flown by local pilots}. IRS also survived the heady days of B727-200s and the glamour fetched by that shiny American interior....before the horrible operating costs caught up with them. They've made a virtue of surviving. Which is why info on their fleet make-up/markets would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jboz
16th Jan 2009, 23:33
IRS has 2 F 100, 2 F 28, 1 E 145 and 3 Do. 328 Jets.

NIJASEA
17th Jan 2009, 11:56
whats working :}?

Flying Bucket
17th Jan 2009, 12:15
Only 1!!!! 5N-CEO that's it!
Praise is meant for those who deserve to be.
IRS HARDLY FALLS IN THAT CATEGORY!

Localiser Established
17th Jan 2009, 13:19
I have also seen 5N-SSZ operating within the past two weeks. Unless something has gone wrong with it during that time period.

5N Pilot
17th Jan 2009, 13:33
Localiser established you are right SSZ is in service also.
I learnt they don't have any captain to fly the embraer at the moment.
And I wonder why the dorniers they are reported to have bought from spe are still not in service?

18left
18th Jan 2009, 08:48
why are the 328's not in service?

I wonder why you would bother to pick up an aircraft a rich oil copmany like shell is getting rid off,due operating costs?
It's a dammed xpensive aircraft to operate,and highly unsucessful world wide,if shell cant operate it,IRS wants to perform miracle?

flareout BC
21st Jan 2009, 10:23
Thanks, you all. God bless the dynasty which owns the airline, but they did fall into accusations of switching managers too often, especially in the early days. It made room for divisive interests and all sorts of skulldugery, which tended to undo the airline, evidently. Let's just hope the same malaise isnt on show here, for if dollar-printer Shell can drop the Dornier jets, one could never figure out how IRS can make money off them......or couldnt we? What about presumably very low break-even loads, let's say, 24 seats, off-set by fares higher than the average? Dont forget that ground staff would over the years have reached first-name basis with customers on markets like Kano-Lag, and should easily maintain 30 travellers per flight for their employers...