PDA

View Full Version : Myanmar

Sober Lark
15th Jan 2009, 19:40
Can anyone recommend a reliable airline for a forthcoming trip where I need to fly from Yangon to Mandalay and return from Bagan to Yangon?

Thanking you in advance.

Michael SWS
16th Jan 2009, 04:31
Air Bagan is generally considered to be the most reliable airline in Myanmar. They have an extensive domestic network, including the routes you mention.

Purchasing tickets may be a little problematical. It is not possible to purchase tickets online, and you can't use credit cards in Myanmar. I had to use a Thai travel agency, based in Bangkok, who delivered the tickets to me at my hotel in Yangon.

Bagan is awesome, by the way. If the world (and, specifically, the Burmese regime) were different it would be one of the most famous and popular sights in the world.

The Real Slim Shady
16th Jan 2009, 10:55
Yep, Air Bagan. They have F100s, ATRs and an A310.

Your cell phone won't work in Myanmar, no credit cards or ATMs and internet is restricted.

Good hotels in Yangon are Traders, which is slap back in the centre of downtown, SummitParkview, which has a "nightclub" BNE, next door and is opposite one of the largest pagodas in town, Shwe Dagon, or if you want more space Espace Avenir, which is owned by HtooTrading who also own Air Bagan.

You could try booking here (http://www.air-bagan.org/?gclid=CIzDi9eDk5gCFQWIlAodX16Xmg), the girl in the picture is one of their cabin crew, Saw.

BTW, You will need to have your visa sorted prior to arrival otherwise they won't let you leave BKK.

Sober Lark
16th Jan 2009, 17:39
Thanks a million for both replies there are very helpful and the fact both of you came up with the same airline is reassuring. I believe the must see sights in SE Asia are Bagan (thanks for your confirmation Michael), Angkor and Borobudur. Much appreciate the tip on credit cards, hotels and booking Slim one.

The Real Slim Shady
16th Jan 2009, 17:48
Sober

Inle Lake is also worth a look: you can fly to Heho with Air Bagan.

dbdarrington
16th Jan 2009, 22:57
Air Bagan. For sure.

Carry lots of US$ (enough for your whole stay ++), no ATM in Burma and even places like Traders have problems with credit cards. US$ is the de-facto currency for anything bigger than street snacks and bottles of water; any kyat you need should be changed by black market changers; the official rates are very very very bad. But maybe you know this already!

The Real Slim Shady
17th Jan 2009, 12:26
If you are after changing $ be careful: it is against the law for nationals to carry $.

There is a travel agent 1 block along Boyoke: stand with your back to Traders at the traffic lights and the Sakura Bldg is facing you. Cross the road go down Bogyake for 1 st, turn right it is on your left. They speak English are very helpful and friendly and will arrange flights, trains and money exchange.

On the Sakura side of the street, walking towards Sule Pagoda are some very good and cheap curry places. Further down on the right side is Htoo Trading's duty free shop for foreigners.

Sober Lark
17th Jan 2009, 18:15
db, a few years back when I was on my way to Tsavo I heard you could change money on the black market in Mombassa. As I was passing through on a charter from LGW I tried and I reckon I was lucky to get away with my life. The thoughts of it now puts a shiver down my back. Never again. Thanks for the tip on US and less reliance on credit card.

I'm planning to go to Myanmar in late October. Are loads on Air Bagan so light that you can generally buy your seat a few days before travel? (I'm thinking of your travel agent recommendation Slim).

The Real Slim Shady
17th Jan 2009, 21:03
For domestic it usually has space as there at least 2 departures daily: international I don't know. If you have a defined itinerary it would be wiser to buy in advance. In addition the TA would want US$ in cash for the ticket.

The terminal at Bagan

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/av8tor100/BaganAirport.jpg