PDA

View Full Version : UK or USA

sx_stavros
15th Jan 2009, 13:23
Hi everyone

After trying my luck to a couple of sponsorship schemes around Europe I made the hard and quite risky decision to go self-sponsored. Before doing that, I would like to hear a second opinion from those of you that already looked into it and have a bit more experience than I do. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me out with these questions:

1. UK or USA?

2. If I choose the UK is there any way of accumulating some flight hours upon completion of training (ex. work as flight instructor like in the USA, etc) as it is well known that airlines nowadays ask for a minimum of 1000 hours.

Cheers and best of luck to everyone!:ok:

jamie230985
17th Jan 2009, 08:01
It depends what your long term ambitions are & where you wish to be based in the future. I did my PPL, Multi Engine, Night Qualification and Hours building in the US because it was cheap, but all my professional training such as ATPL written exams, CPL and IR in the UK.

The general consensus is that if you wish to work in UK airspace the best thing to do is;

1. Stick with one FTO or flight school
2. Do your CPL and IR in the UK as the radio and airspace is very different to US
3. Use a good school with a good reputation

My training was coordinated with my degree using CabAir & although I would not recomend them on a whole I would recomend looking into Wycombe Air Centre. Cabair baught a stake in them a while back but they are statistically the most successful CPL training school in the UK (based on pass results). They also offer an excellent Flight Instructor course that I start in Feb and they have a good record of employing instructors they have trained (3 out of 5 since i've been there).

Good Luck & I hope this helped!!