PDA

View Full Version : PDF page numbering

Bus429
15th Jan 2009, 10:48
Hello All,

I've assembled a PDF presentation from several PDF pages originally generated in Powerpoint. Although the pages are all numbered below the thumbnails, the page numbers vary throughout the pages of the document; I've also got the date on some of them. I can only assume this is because I was chopping and changing to assemble the PDF. Anyone have any idea how I can remove the existing page numbers and generate sequential numbering?

bnt
15th Jan 2009, 12:56
Not much I can suggest except: go back to Powerpoint and fix the slides there, before converting to PDF. It's just a matter of removing the text boxes that you don't want, then adding ones that you do want e.g. sequential slide numbering.

You don't really have that granular level of control over the slides, either during the conversion to PDF, or afterwards, so I would fix them at source where possible.

Conan The Barber
15th Jan 2009, 13:04
If your have Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) then you can edit the text directly in the PDF file.

Go TOOLS -> ADVANCED EDITING -> TOUCHUP TEXT TOOL.

WrinklyPrune
15th Jan 2009, 14:40
Remove all the page numbers in the original documents.

In the composited document, use <Document>, <Header & Footer>, <Add> and then press [Add New].

Then you will be able to add page numbers in the footer which will be consistent across all pages.

These instructions are for Adobe Acrobat v 8.1.3, but other versions may well have similar, if not the same instructions.

Good luck!

bnt
15th Jan 2009, 17:18
OK, so you can edit PDF documents if you own a full copy of Adobe Acrobat. I didn't imagine that a problem like this would warrant spending a lot of money, for something that should be simple to fix at source. Just because you can edit a PDF, it doesn't mean you should, and why should you, if you can fix the source and re-create the PDF?

(This is assuming that the OP's using a PDF Creator plugin, like Foxit, or the free one from Microsoft for Office 2007. )

Bus429
16th Jan 2009, 18:50
Thanks for all replies. I have full Acrobat since I have to generate presentations but this is the first time I've employed it to produce composites. Is it me or is the Help function in Acrobat and on the Adobe site a little complicated?