PDA

View Full Version : Airtime Airlines

legacy
15th Jan 2009, 09:45
Does anyone know what's happening with this startup? Are they going ahead - have they got an AOC to operate on (since Air AQ pulled out).. etc etc.

ambasador
15th Jan 2009, 16:39
I agree - I don't think they did their marketing really well and let the cat out the bag too early - or they were too eager. If it was me, I would have had at least the AOC in place before starting to advertise! Why pick that specific start date? just wondering...

The E-jets also gr8 - perfect, in my opinion. Maybe they had/have the funds to cover the capital expenses on them?!?

Still wonder if it's gonna happen though - they've been really quiet lately - no media etc about them.

Golf_Seirra
21st Jan 2009, 04:50
Local East Coast radio station is advertising and running pro-mo compition giving away cell hampers and airtime......seems the start date is this weekend.

I gather they have some new idea of buying the tickets via cell phone / airtime credits ?

Anyone heard what machines they are using ?

legacy
21st Jan 2009, 07:12
This is what I can't figure out:

CAA has not record of any sort of agreement or application for AOC... so who's are they using/going to use?

ACSA also has not agreements for check-ini space/parking etc.... how can they start - it's not a bus service where you just pitch up and load?!?! haha

Nothing else in the media - maybe they have gone into just selling airtime??:cool:

I.R.PIRATE
21st Jan 2009, 08:24
Well Airtime is what it is called no??:hmm:

legacy
21st Jan 2009, 22:23
read this on another forum:
Apparently Air Aq is going ahead with the deal again and today submitted the application for ammendments to the AOC.

Not sure how true this is.

four engine jock
22nd Jan 2009, 10:44
Its true. Its going to Happen, Just how long it will last is anyones guess. But good luck to them and AQ

ambasador
22nd Jan 2009, 12:19
With all the negative publicity already - have they sold any tickets yet? i wouldn't buy anything from a company that advertises starting up with full force - then gets slammed in the media for not having contracts etc in place - and they remain silent?!?

If they had just come out and said "We're working on a plan" or something, it would have boosted their credibility... but.. they kept silent. mmm...?:=

skybound1
22nd Jan 2009, 18:42
yeah It will be interesting to know how many seats have actually been sold. Sunday is just around the corner,that was the revised date for start of operations!

cigar
22nd Jan 2009, 18:50
According to the press release on their website outlining the deal with AirQuarius new start date is 30 Jan.

Ghost_Rider737
24th Jan 2009, 04:03
This company had a stand set up at the virginia airshow last year. Huge poster outside saying they needed pilots .lots of interest . Couldnt even get a chance to get near to see their min requirement. Have a very good friend working for this dude , hope its not another pipe dream.

Avi8tor
28th Jan 2009, 14:27
Fin24.com>>Companies>>Public warned against Airtime (http://www.fin24.com/articles/default/display_article.aspx?Nav=ns&ArticleID=1518-24_2460454)

Looks like a con to me. Why do I think there are pilots not getting paid?

Montoya
28th Jan 2009, 16:04
After seeing how their so called flight school was run,this does not surprise me one bit :yuk:

legacy
28th Jan 2009, 20:30
Strange article .. I thought they had an agreement in place with Air AQ to operate on their AOC..?!? Perhaps council has not approved this yet??

Do any of you Air AQ guys that fly the 73's know what happening here? Are you scheduled/rostered to fly the routes from Friday?

More questions than answers .. again!

KRONOS
29th Jan 2009, 05:18
On the news this morning, CAA rep stating public should not buy tickets as this operator does not have a domestic license, hence no AOC, and are selling tickets illegally.....and they will not operate, as this is blatantly use of a license, and illegal to wet lease without AOC, on what AOC are the tickets sold? anyone?

legacy
30th Jan 2009, 11:24
As I understand.. this the case exactly! On who's AOC are tickets being sold because even acting as middleman just selling tickets requires certain legals to be in place.. you can't even sell on a website without doing it on an AOC or licensed permission from authorities. This I think is the case ... there is an agreement for ac to operate on AOC but the Licensing council not approved ticket sales.

Who is protecting the customer's and his money between the sale and the actual flight? This is one of the cencerns of the council!

eish!!!

countingteeth
30th Jan 2009, 14:48
Here is what 1time thought about it... saw this press release come out earlier today.... Peace.

DO NOT CONFUSE 1TIME AIRLINE WITH AIRTIME AIRLINE
Johannesburg, 29 January 2009:-

A national news report on Radio Sonder Grense radio station today has caused some concern amongst the flying public. The station has correctly reported that the Department of Transport has warned the public that the company, AIRTIME airline, is unlawfully advertising their commencement of service as from 30 January 2009 and this, without having a legal scheduled air service license in its possession. From this report, there has been some confusion that Airtime is 1time Airline. 1time Airline is NOT in any way associated nor ever will be associated with Airtime Airline.

1time Airline would like to announce that it is not Airtime Airline and further stresses that 1time Airline has never had any connection to or been affiliated with Airtime Airline. Chief Executive Officer, Rodney James assures the flying public: “1time Airline has been in existence for almost five years and has carried over 5 million passengers around South Africa safely between the 7 destinations we fly to. These passengers have shown their service satisfaction of 1time through us been awarded 18 accolades of service excellence within the airport environment through ACSA’s feather awards.” He further assures that 1time will be flying its red aircraft in South African skies for years to come.”

…ends\Words: (204)

This release was compiled and issued by: On behalf of:
ANYA POTGIETER RODNEY JAMES
MARKETING MANAGER CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
1TIME AIRLINE

FACT BOX:
Q 1time Airline flew its maiden flight on 25 February 2004 and turns 5 this year.
Q 1time Airline operates 11 MD80 series aircraft in its fleet. These narrow body aircraft are considered as the safest in the aviation world.
Q 1time Airline is the proud recipient of 18 ACSA Feather Awards since its inception.
Q The route network consists of flights to the following destinations: Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, George, East London & now ZANZIBAR.
Q The DIRECT flight between Johannesburg & Zanzibar is a mere 3.5 hour journey.
Q 1time is a Johannesburg AlteX Stock Exchange listed company, under its mother brand 1time Holdings.

Anya Potgieter - Marketing & PR Manager
1time Airline (Pty) Ltd
PO Box 7110 Bonaero Park, 1620

legacy
30th Jan 2009, 17:33
if you read on their website under "Media", they're obviously not happy with the licensing council and take them on with a few comments...

I still don't know if their issues are sorted out though!:confused:

Morphieus
30th Jan 2009, 18:52
So, they state on their website that "Airtime airline is a brand (not an airline) and does not have to have an air service license"

Ok so, what exactly is Kulula, 1Time and so on...

Maybe they should also tell CAA that they also just a brand and can therefore do away with all those annoying aviation rules!

Hell, with this line of thought we can basically do away with the licensing council and CAA all together!

Brilliant! :O

legacy
31st Jan 2009, 11:31
I agree!

It's as though he thinks HE doesn't have to follow the rules!? Maybe he should have done his homework properly LONG before he decided to advertise and announce to the world he "owns an airline"... oh yes, but it's only a brand now.. !??!

like everyone else he must prove to the council that he has the public's interest at heart and that they are protected with the ticket sales. Sure he has the right intentions and probably will be honest and accommodate people - as he has done for the second cancellation of the launch - but the council wants to see all the details.

If he got his way, we could all just sell airline tickets on a freelance basis, register a little company, and call it our "brand' and sell sell sell on SAA's license .. or 1Times.. or whoever.

I think he has a good concept though - it could work well.. just stop trying to take short-cuts and follow procedure!

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Feb 2009, 04:40
Tough times ahead. Anything that generates jobs and stability should be supported rather than attacked. This attempt seems to have got off to a bad start by setting about things the wrong way but hopefully he can get all his ducks in a row and provide opportunities for a few more aircrew and CC types to earn a living, even if it's for AQ.

legacy
1st Feb 2009, 10:44
Thumbs up for more jobs:ok:

The issue and concern is that if they're going about it this way just starting up - will they maintain a successful airline in this economic climate and keep those jobs?

I too, hope it's not just a "fly by night"!

ambasador
10th Feb 2009, 03:29
Apparently not starting (yet). Their website is now REALLY confusing - more than before. It seems he's advertising the "brand" for sale (or the concept). The latest news puplications have them stating they are going to apply for their own AOC.

Not sure what's cooking- but doesn't look like they're going to fly any time soon.

XHERCY
11th Feb 2009, 17:08
Two ex Nationwide 73's in for a check at Denel and Aeronexus. Are they linked to this thread?

Jet Cockpit
13th Feb 2009, 21:26
A bit strange to see a "Limited Resources" co. coming up with a start-up at this stage of the game.
Apparently the man behind the idea has lots of credentials to his name (First brown SAAF pilot) and eventually CEO of some blackbird company.
Any idea about the flight school(Natal Flight Academy)?
From the grapevine: That school was already bankrupt when blackbird took over.
looks like they are going to start ops with 737 equipment and eventually e-jets.

Anyways, the charos are loaded man. They will definitely cook up sthing scaly and make multi-millions out of it.:hmm:

Montoya
14th Feb 2009, 12:19
As I said earlier,Ive had dealings with these people and I wouldnt believe a word they say.

Jet Cockpit
14th Feb 2009, 21:08
Have you ever had any experience with their school? Tried calling them up. Last time they were looking for instructors. Would like to know what type of environment exists down there rite now.. Is it worth it?

sry for any deviations from the post:\

LittleMo
16th Feb 2009, 12:16
I agree Jet: something scaly is cooking in the pot.
This guy is big on his so called 'credentials' but does he have any $$?
I can also register a company, call myself CEO but meanwhile the company isn't too well padded in the dinero department. Me thinks before any1 resigns from their current jobs to go work there, ask to see the proof, ie training booked and PAID FOR at the simulator facility etc.
Sound slike something fishy in the briyani pot to me ek se :E

battman
16th Feb 2009, 20:02
Nothing happening!

AQ contract in Jordan is Khalas (finito, fin, over,done) crew wondering "should i stay, or should i go"? Interesting days ahead for AQ large payroll 100+ and dependent upon Mike Douglas & Kellog Brown & Root in ORBI. Lets hope Gav pulls a rabbit out the hat...... livelihood's depend on it.

ct2003
18th Feb 2009, 10:16
German flight magazine AERO produced a note in its Jan edition that V B (ex Nationwide) bought 3 732s from the Nationwide auction to start his new airline "airtime airline" :}

Jet Cockpit
2nd Mar 2009, 19:05
SORRY

Under Construction

Don't be afraid to check back soon!!!

That sums it up nicely.