PDA

View Full Version : SA to EUR licence conversion

Choppie
15th Jan 2009, 09:04
Hi,

I would like to know what the requirements are for converting a South African CPL(h) licence to a European or JAR licence. We have survey contracts coming up in Europe and Northern Africa and would like to make use of European helicopters from Italy, France and/or other European countries.

The only other way we could use those helicopters are by hiring a pilot with the helicopter and use him as an observer to be allowed to fly those helicopters. Unfortunately the costs of that start becoming too high.

So does one just get a validation for the specific country's helicopters you use or is there a general licence one could validate to in order to fly all EU machines?

RVDT
15th Jan 2009, 14:02
Normally in JARLand if you are a JARLand resident you can fly other JARLand aircraft on a licence issued under JAR FCL 2.

However I am pretty sure that your validation would only be applicable to an aircraft registered with the member country that issued the validation and possibly only within that country.

It can be a long process but it is not impossible.

Try opening the can with the following example which I have been through - note that it is Swiss. The member states requirements may vary.

FCL 2.015 has the info.

Requirements for the issuance of a Swiss validation certificate CPL(H) VFR single pilot type rating helicopter issued on the basis of a valid ICAO-CPL(H) VFR single pilot type rating helicopter issued in a non-JAA-state.

1/ JAR FCL class 1 medical certificate issued by an authorised Swiss FOCA AMC.

2/ Demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Authority that knowledge of the relevant parts of JAR-OPS 3 and JAR-FCL 2 (see AMC FCL 2.005 & 2.015) has been acquired.

3/ Proof of the radiotelephony qualification entered in the foreign pilot’s licence or equivalent document.

4/ Proof of the language proficiency (at least Level 4) entered in the foreign pilot's licence (if not demonstrated, the rights of the licence holder will be restricted according to AIC B 003/08).

5/ Minimum total flying hours experience in helicopter:
700 hours in helicopters other than those certificated under JAR-27/29, including 200 hours in the activity role for which validation is sought, and 50 hours in that role in the last 12 months.

6/Complete, as a skill test VFR with examiner on single pilot type rating helicopter, revalidation requirements relevant to the privileges of the licence held (might be combined with a skill test IR single pilot type rating helicopter) in accordance with JAR-FCL 2.245 and ‘FOCA Guide

7/ Application for the issuance of a pilot’s licence/permit (FOCA Form.60.975)

8/ Copies of all pages of the current foreign pilot’s licence with entry of the required current single pilot type rating (pending licence is not accepted)

9/ Copies of all pages of the corresponding valid foreign medical certificate

10/ Copies of last 3 pages of the logbook

11/ Copy of passport

12/ Official printout of criminal record file issued by state of residence (max. 3 months old)

If you are You Tube poster Choppie24, looking at your video I think you may be jumping through a few hoops to get that mod for the booms approved in EASA land!

FUGRO must have some good lawyers you can use - :cool:

Nubian
15th Jan 2009, 19:05
RVDT

Why would a pair of booms like that be unlikely to get approval for? They are used in the rest of the world (Non-Easa-land), approved for it's use by the various CAA's...

Choppie
16th Jan 2009, 05:53
Thanks for the info thus far RVDT.

I think the first obstacle we would like to overcome is the crew licences. I take it that JAR-OPS3 and JAR-FCL2 are law exams. Do you have to go there to write them or are they online?
The rest seems to be formalities and paperwork with the skill test. Does it say how long the validation is for?

organ donor
16th Jan 2009, 07:01
Choppie,

The publication you want to have a look at is called the LASORS found here LASORS: LASORS 2008 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

Somewhere in there it will tell you all you need to know.