PDA

View Full Version : BMI fare structure

crewmeal
15th Jan 2009, 05:16
Very strange things happening with BMI. I want to book a flight from Amman to London in April and looked on the website and found it was £585. Someone said book to Manchester and see what you get, sure enough I did - £415.

So I called them and this helpful guy in the Indian call centre didn't really know why, but he said you can have you bag tagged to LHR and get off!!

So why if you travel:

AMM - LHR - AMM its £585 and AMM - LHR - MAN - LHR - AMM its £415?

frontcheck
15th Jan 2009, 17:02
it is not just bmi, most airlines have been doing this for years, it is called hidden or ficticious points , in fact some "fare guru's" made a hobby out of it. They could just look at an itinerary and tell what city could be included to reduce a price....make the most of it and dont complain,,,,very few airline procedures actually make sense when you look at them in depth !

nivsy
15th Jan 2009, 19:38
Are we sure this is really acceptable to the carriers?

Does it not cause confusion and possible security issues if you have a ticket to Manchester and at check in ask for baggage only to be checked through to London as you are using that as final destination and not getting the connecting flight north?

I only ask because nowadays everything with flying is a little troublesome!

Nivsy

I love twins
15th Jan 2009, 19:51
Is there a tax element to this too?

Due to the fact you're just a transit pax at LHR you don't pay the tax there and end up just paying the tax at MCT?

May be wrong but I think it may have something to do with it?

crewmeal
16th Jan 2009, 05:13
Due to the fact you're just a transit pax at LHR you don't pay the tax there and end up just paying the tax at MCT?

Would the tax difference be around £170? I'm sure if that was the case then everyone would avoid getting off at LHR

frontcheck
16th Jan 2009, 15:48
There is nothing in the rules to say you have to be checked through to your final destination, it is a matter of choice, happens all the time. However some airlines have systems in place to ensure all ticketed sectors are used, so you could find the return leg invalid and the only way round this is to pay the correct fare for the actual journey flown. ie the difference between the fare to MAN & LHR