PDA

View Full Version : BA online check-in and bagging exit row seats

Simonta
14th Jan 2009, 23:34
Hi

I always use online check-in and hit it the second it's open. For about the last year, I usually find that the plum seats on the exit rows are already gone, even though I'm in the seat selector seconds after the 24 hour window has opened. This hasn't always been the case.

Why is this?

1. Some other way of checking in before the online check-in opens?
2. People getting wise to it and simply clicking faster than me?
3. Exec club Silver/Gold getting a choice with ticket purchase?

Any tricks to beat the system????

Thanks for any insights.

Cheers

Simon

PS. Pauses to think. What about all the other SLF who read this and get wise to any good responses? Damned if I do, damned if I don't????

VAFFPAX
15th Jan 2009, 01:49
Yes, Gold members can check in earlier I believe. And exit seats are not always the plum ones, sorry to point that out.

S.

k3lvc
15th Jan 2009, 08:48
As a silver I can select my seat when booking - generally one of the exit rows. On Euro flights with movable Club cabins they tend to open up only Row 11 and back initially then 3 days before departure when they've established Club occupancy they open up the rows further forwards.

First economy row behind club give you club seat and legroom but economy servive and no view (when they draw the curtain)

BackOfTheBus
15th Jan 2009, 09:36
can also select seats at/after time of booking via many of the corporate travel providers (expedia etc) if you are travelling on a full fare ticket.

radeng
15th Jan 2009, 09:40
Like k3lvc, as a Gold card holder, I can choose my seat at the time of booking.

GwynM
15th Jan 2009, 10:49
as someone with short legs, I don't care about the exit rows - in fact they're more hassle as you can't keep your bag with you.

I prefer to be either nearer the front (avoiding row 1 as you can get moved when there are VIPs aboard) or right at the back when going to ABZ as they let you off the back 95% of the time.

WHBM
15th Jan 2009, 11:40
OLCI opens 24 hours before your journey starts. So those coming in to Heathrow on connecting flights are able to check in long before those starting at Heathrow. For example, I like to be as far forward in the Y cabin as possible on BA flights to Russia to be first out and first in the immigration queue. But normally when I check in right on T-24 the first few rows are gone already, and when I get there and chat with those sitting there, they have invariably made long-haul connections from the USA and elsewhere.

I have to say that I have registered my seat preference on BA Exec Club as Window, as with other carriers, but BA alone seem pretty spot on in giving me such, so good on them for that.

flyin_phil
15th Jan 2009, 19:05
I used to have the same problem everytime i travelled to istanbul with BA on their 767's, allways trying to get row 27 (exit seat behind wing). last few times i was working for ba so went to a dispatcher 48hrs before if there was possibility to allocate that seat. i was lucky twice out of 5 times but on way back only ever once. also tends to be british people sat in that row, in suits and ties lol, not being stereotypical here or anything LOL. i guess they are gold card holders or something like that. I only try for that seat cause sometimes i like to stretch my legs and walk around sometimes, and too polite to keep bothering the pax next to me.
;)

VAFFPAX
15th Jan 2009, 21:32
k3lvc, the only view you have in economy (ET) is... well... economy! :-)

I've always got a nice window view... on my Euro trips I always book the window because in the two or three hours I'm not bound to use the loo so I don't need aisle access. I park myself after the safety briefing and then I am gone to the rest of the world until I get woken up either by the descent or by the actual landing.

Like WHBM, I prefer to be as far up front as possible to get out of the plane asap.

S.