PDA

View Full Version : The Airlines

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 19:28
Hi

It would be helpfull for wannabe's like myself if current/former airline pilots or those involved in recruiting airline pilots could list which airlines prefer integrated graduates and which take on both types of graduates:

AIRLINES WHICH PREFER INTEGRATED:
1. British Airways
2. City Jet

AIRLINES WHICH TAKE ON BOTH TYPES OF GRADUATES:
1. Ryanair
2. Jet2 (although I have been told by one pilot who works for Jet2 that Jet2 actually prefer integrated)
3. Thomson
4. Flybe
5. Monarch (not so sure)
6. BMI

Could you please add to my lists, thankyou.

maxdrypower
14th Jan 2009, 19:39
Andddddddd he's back:ugh:

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 19:44
Oh come on - dont you think it will be usefull if people who with experience with the airlines could actually compile a list to show which airlines prefer integrated and which ones dont really care? Dont you think that will be incredibly usefull information for the wannabe?:hmm:

maxdrypower
14th Jan 2009, 20:00
no cos its bollocks if airlines need pilot they will get them from their online apllication processes or by recommendation or by whichever means they choose as it stands at present no one is recruiting so the question is null and void , as has been pointed out to you a million times before on this very forum you aint gonna get a job without a licence so stop asking stupid questions visit schools pick one and get the bloody thing then worry about how you are gonna get a job but sure as eggs is eggs you aint gonna get one by constatntly trying to drag the ame tired old information out of people on here .
If you really wanna know visit the flyer show and ask them face to face . You have been on here more than long enough now to have visited at least three flyer shows and visited every training provider twice over . If you havebnt made a decision by now on which way you wanna go then give it up and become a doctor or bus driver or plumber

G SXTY
14th Jan 2009, 20:04
Actually Afraz, it wouldn't be as useful as you think. You should not be basing your choice of training route on certain airlines' perceived preferences (which in any case may have changed by the time you qualify). Recruitment policies can change with a new chief pilot or DFO.

When jobs are available, both integrated and modular candidates get hired. When there are no jobs, they don't. That's the bottom line. The state of the job market is far more important than where or how you got your licence.

Trust me, when you have gone through all the grief and aggravation of commercial training, and you're looking for your first job, you'll be way past caring whether it's with BA, Easy, Flybe or anyone else. You'll sell body parts for a job with anyone.

bajadj
14th Jan 2009, 20:08
as far as i'm aware BMI are happy with "one stop modular".

BA aren't recruiting and according to an email sent to members of their hold pool won't be this financial year which takes us to March I believe and then probably not for the first six months of the next financial year.

Furthermore the integrated only, ONLY applies to newly qualified fATPl's not direct entry candidates where modulars and integrated candidates are accepted if they have the required hours and pass interview and sim check etc etc.

Mikehotel152
14th Jan 2009, 21:00
This thread is useless except to the lazy and poorly motivated type of 'wannabe' who will remain a 'wannabe' until they finish school, get a job in Burger King, and then experience an epiphany whilst dolling out the fries, which leads to a very fulfilling career in public convenience technical services.

You shouldn't have to ask why.

Frankly Mr Shankly
14th Jan 2009, 21:10
As I said in Nov or Dec, I suspect you'll still be asking this question "this time next year".

Tick tock tick tock.............

JFDI.

And good luck. :)

pilotmike
14th Jan 2009, 21:11
Afraz - just go to ANY school and get started on your training!

Look, flying training is like buying baked beans. You can buy Tesco beans, or you can buy Sainsburys beans. You can ask as many people as you like which they prefer, and all you will get is opinions, not hard facts. You can read the labels, and you might find some small differences in the nutritional values and the ingredients. One might cost more, one might have a prettier label. BUT THEY'RE BOTH STILL THE SAME BLOODY BAKED BLOODY BEANS!!

Just go and buy some bloody beans and stop asking the same old question in a new way every week.

Hell, if you approached buying beans the same way as you fuss about integrated and modular, you'd be dead from starvation by now.

As it is, if you're still having to ask, I really think the answer is staring you in the face - flying ain't for you. Sure, pilots mustn't be too hasty to rush into making potentially wrong decisions, but they are required to make more than one decision each decade!

J F D I - Just F'ing Do It!

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 21:14
With all due respect why are you calling me a lazy wannabe? I dont think i'm lazy and i'll tell you why:

1. I've had detail conversations with over 20 pilots who fly for various airlines in the UK.

2. I have visited and talked to a number of flight schools in the UK, like PAT, SFC, BCFT, OAT, Aeros Flight Training and AFT.

3. I have been to the flyer proffessional training event and talked to a number of people.

4. After completing my A levels I hope to work at an aviation related job probably as a despactcher so I can earn some money and earn some valuable life experience.

I havent insulted you MikeHotel so please dont insult me, there is no reason for it what so ever. If you feel like you need to say something to me then please show some level of respect. And what do you have against people working in Mcdonalds/BG? They work very hard for low pay (try being in their shoes and then then try to post a comment like you just have), they havent done anything to you so leave them alone! They have nothing to do with this debate!

Frankly Mr Shankly
14th Jan 2009, 21:17
Ah but Mike, smart price beans just don't taste the same, but I digress, and god forbid we start a new conundrum for the lad......;)

pilotmike
14th Jan 2009, 21:18
You can lead a horse to water - you just can't make it drink!

Afraz - who ever called YOU a lazy Wannabe? A bit touchy, aren't you?

Now GO AND START YOUR TRAINING - NO MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT WHETHER INTEGRATED OR MODULAR IS BEST... PLEASE??????

Oh, and please don't accuse me of calling you a horse now!

OK Afraz, just for you, here is the definitive list of EVERY airline which prefers students who can't decide to how get qualified:

Chesty Morgan
14th Jan 2009, 21:20
1. I've had detail conversations with over 20 pilots who fly for various airlines in the UK.
2. I have visited and talked to a number of flight schools in the UK, like PAT, SFC, BCFT, OAT, Aeros Flight Training and AFT.
3. I have been to the flyer proffessional training event and talked to a number of people.

And you STILL haven't got the answer you want to hear. What more do you need!?:ugh:

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 21:27
I know which route im taking - its modular at SFC. I thought it would be a good idea if we could have a list of airlines which prefer integrated students and which dont really care.

Frankly Mr Shankly
14th Jan 2009, 21:29
In fairness though Afraz, you have had quite a bit of advice on here, mostly all pointing to a good common sense approach, saying in a nutshell it doesn't matter how you get your licence, do it as economically as possible in the current climate, then sort out the job after you get it.

Yes it's a "big" decision in a way as to where to train, but it ain't THAT big that it requires months of deliberation. If you have the money, go integrated, because I think in YOUR eyes that's the most attractive option. I don't personally agree, but hey, that doesn't matter a jot. This is about YOUR future, YOUR career, so YOU decide and take the bull by the horns. If you cant afford integrated, go modular then, the decision is made for you in this case, default financially.

I'm not too sure why you are still pondering it though.

EDdit to say: Well that's a step in the right direction, getting your course sorted. And the list of airlines you are after, well some of those airlines out there right now, might well not be around by the time you are ready for a job.

flyboy1818
14th Jan 2009, 21:32
I'm also fed up of hearing this non sense, people chose modular or integrated for other reasons than just cost or which "airline" they aspire too. Base your decision around your personal circumstances rather than some of the nonsense that you will find on here. For example integrated may look like the best thing in the world, but can you afford it? Do you want to be paying a small fortune every month in loan repayments for the next 7-10 years? Can you leave it all behind to train full time for 18 months? Modular too has its down falls, will your employer give you the time off you need? Can you study at home? Do you have the academic background to self teach 14 highly technical subjects? etc etc etc. Think about the reality of any decision you make. Most importantly make a decision and stick to it!

When it Hiring time its hiring time and when its firing time its firing time, right now its firing time so get training and get ready for hiring time stupid!

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 21:42
Thanks for your reply FranklyMrShankly. I dont know why you think I have my eyes set on the integrated route. I have always wanted to do the modular route at SFC as I have spoken to many former students who are now with Ryanair. They all speak very highley of SFC and cant reccomend it enough.

Another reason why I chose to do a modular course is because I come from a working class background, so thier is no real money with which my family could help me with. My dad has explained to me that he will try his best to support me if I want to do a integrated course at SFC, however I have asked him that I want to make it on my own. I dont want evreything to be handed down to me on a silver plate. I want life experience. I want to meet people from all walks of life. I want to experience both the good and the bad sides of life so I can become a more rounded human being. I want to find out how hard it can be to make ends meet by working at a aviation related job so you can you pay for your training. And by working so I can save some money to pay for my flight training it will allow me to meet like minded indviduals from similar backgrounds who are facing the same struggles as me.

Maybe someday I and the people whom I worked with will look back and proudly say 'we made it but it was damn hard'. But then again, maybe not. Maybe i'll end up working at a dull end job. Who knows what will happen?

dwshimoda
14th Jan 2009, 21:46
... but I think your latest (and repeated) question is pointless.

A very large part of recruitment involves the Chief Pilot asking him (or her) self "can I sit next to this chap (or chapess) for 12 hours and enjoy it / not get bored / not want to kill them.

All you keep demonstrating by your constant questioning, lack of research, and ignorance of what you don't want to hear, is:

No one would want to sit next to you for 12 hours.

Listen to peoples advice: start your training, grow up a bit, and learn to listen to people.

These three things will stand you in far, far greater stead than whether you went modular or integrated.

(BTW in the whole 8 months I've been flying professionaly, not one person has asked me whether I went modular or integrated - you figure it out.)

DW.

pilotmike
14th Jan 2009, 21:51
As I pick myself up from the ground after the announcement of 2009 - Afraz has made a decision on where to train - hold the front pages!

But my hopes are soon dashed:
My dad has explained to me that he will try his best to support me if I want to do a integrated course at SFC
After 8 years of exhaustive, painstaking research, our intrepid researcher has overlooked one very simple, very obvious fact:

STAPLEFORD DON'T DO INTEGRATED COURSES!!!!!!

Doh!!!!! Well that was a waste of 8 years, wasn't it Afraz! 'Nul points' for you and your painstaking research.

Back to square one for Afraz, I think. On present performance, he'll be going round in circles for years to come.

Good luck to Dobney et al at Stapleford - you'll need the patience of saints!

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 21:53
"No one would want to sit next to you for 12 hours" how on earth can you make a huge generalization like that about my personality when you dont even know who I am or what my personality is like? You have never met me in my life.

Look I have plenty of time before I start training to become a pilot. So I thought I might do some detailed research. I thought PPRUNE would be a good place to start. BTW, I do actually speak to real world people out there.

Frankly Mr Shankly
14th Jan 2009, 21:54
I'm sure modular at SFC will be a good course, and good luck with it. The job will come with patience and determination after your training, you'll have your hands full enough over the next 18 months or so to be too busy to be worried about the job.

For what it's worth, my first job was flying night freight on a pretty poor salary for a couple of years, so yes it can be hard in aviation certainly to start. HOWEVER, the flying of an old TP was by far the best flying education/apprenticeship I could ever have hoped for, I learnt a hell of a lot which has stood me in excellent stead for the rest of my career til now. It wasnt a jet, it wasn't paid well, hell it wasn't even heated but Im so glad I did my time there.

So get whatever job you can after training, learn lots and enjoy it.

Good luck.

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 21:56
Yes I know SFC dont do a integrated course but Colin Dobney a while back in AOPA magazine (maybe a diffrent one) said he is considering to do integrated courses.

I made a mistake when I said my dad will help me if I do a integrated course at SFC - I meant OAA/OAT.

G SXTY
14th Jan 2009, 21:58
then experience an epiphany

If it's not too late to ask, what's an epiphany? Does it come up in the ATPLs? :)

dwshimoda
14th Jan 2009, 21:59
You have never met me in my life.

Nope. Agreed.

But I've read all of your posts, including the deleted ones, and formed my own opinion. Sorry if you disagree.

You have many, many people offering you free advice on here, and yet you choose to disregard it. That says more about you than you obviously know.

No one will chastise you for doing research, but they will when you keep asking the same questions / ignoring advice until you are told what you want to hear.

(BTW, many recruiting sessions dont test for immediate ability, they test for the ability to learn - something you should bear in mind)

Mikehotel152
14th Jan 2009, 22:02
Afraz - you don't get it, so I'll try to spell it out.

Any person approaching a career as a professional airline pilot who is going to make a decision on their choice of training organisation based on a simplistic and conceptually flawed list such as you have created is lazy and poorly motivated. That is why this thread is useless.

The opposite to the aforementioned person would be an energetic and thoughtful person, who has looked carefully at the Aviation Industry and adapted their training plan to the current economic crisis, researched each FTO and their links to Airlines, and listened to advice. That person will find your list utterly useless.

But I should add that your visits to FTOs, chats with pilots, and trip to the Flyer show are commendable. That's exactly the right way of making decisions about flying training. Well done.

As you ask, I don't think my comments about Burger King and similar forms of employment are derogatory because they are very undemanding jobs. As for a career in public convenience technical services, I have to admit that my comments were pretty crappy.

pilotmike
14th Jan 2009, 22:05
"No one would want to sit next to you for 12 hours" how on earth can you make a huge generalization like that about my personality when you dont even know who I am or what my personality is like?
Very easily Afraz, very easily indeed.

But you just don't get it, do you.

Muppet!!

Mikehotel152
14th Jan 2009, 22:10
G SXTY

Yep, it's in the ATPLs. Just between the section you didn't understand in Gen Nav and the section in PoF you thought you understood. ;)

Afraz
14th Jan 2009, 22:10
Pilot Mike I respect your opinion about my personality. My personality will not be to the liking to evreyone. Why should it be?

Pilot Mike, FranklyMrShankly and G-SXTY I have been reading your advice over the past year and know you offer good advice - the main reason why I started this thread is because I have heard from many integrated schools that most airlines prefer integrated. I was hoping that by lisiting the airlines which dont care and comparing them to which that do would dispell the myth that airlines are only on the look out for integrated students.

For example a friend of mine was set hard on the integrated route at OAA because they said Ryanair source thier pilots mainly from OAA and that Ryanair prefer integrated students and so do other airlines like Thomson. I told him that this was a myth. Now he wants to do a modular course at BCFT. He didnt believe me at first but then I got him in touch with some of the pilots I knew, then he slowley converted. I did not force him to do modular I just presented my point of view.

So I thought the list would be usefull to wannabes who have just started researching thier training options. Because many wannabes (myself included) at the very begining think THAT THE INTEGRATED ROUTE IS THE BEST ROUTE AS AIRLINES ONLY ACCEPT INTEGRATED STUDENTS. We become dissilusioned expecting to land a job in RHS of a Boeing 747 with BA because thats what we hear from these big schools who have big marketing budgets.

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Jan 2009, 22:20
Shut up.

This thread is closed. Train anyway you want to - there's no job at the end of it in 09/10/11 so please yourself...