PDA

View Full Version : Les Bywaters (aka Beeayeate, ex 3 & 51 Sqns)

LookingNorth
14th Jan 2009, 17:02
I have been asked to post this by a non-ppruner friend, hope this is OK:

It is my very sad duty to report that Les Bywaters - forum member Beeayeate - passed away in hospital last night with his family around him.

Les played his own small part in defending us all against the threat from the Soviets during the cold war as ground crew in RAF Germany - with 3(F) Squadron and their Canberras, and also with 51 Squadron.

It was the Canberra that he returned to in recent years, building up the single best website on the subject - English Electric Canberra Tribute Site (http://www.bywat.co.uk) - and really getting back into aviation in a big way. Sadly he was not quite so mobile in the last couple of years so didn't make it to as many airshows as he'd have liked.

The funeral will be at the Markeaton Crematorium in Derby (post code DE22 4NH for the satnavs), on 27th January at 14:00. The family have requested no flowers. Les was a keen supporter of the RNLI (http://www.rnli.org.uk) so rather than flowers if you'd like to make a donation to them - direct or via his family at the funeral - Les would no doubt have been pleased.

Jackonicko
14th Jan 2009, 17:27
Such sad news. He was a super bloke and a real enthusiast, and he will be missed. Sincere condolences to Les B's friends and family.

PPRuNe Radar
14th Jan 2009, 17:38
I enjoyed Les' contributions here and his tales from days past which are now gone forever.

Sincere condolences to all his family and friends. He'll be missed here on PPRuNe.

Jackonicko
14th Jan 2009, 17:50
Shame 51 couldn't organise a flyby for him.....

Worf
14th Jan 2009, 22:10
Very sorry to hear about Les. He was a great resource for Canberra enthusiasts and a very generous person. He photocopied B(I)8 pilot's notes and sent them to me for my IAF Canberra book, and refused to accept payment.
RIP Les.

Gainesy
15th Jan 2009, 05:19
A Top Bloke who will be missed here. RIP.

wub
15th Jan 2009, 13:29
I'd like to add my condolences, I corresponded with Les many times, nice guy, RIP.

Archimedes
15th Jan 2009, 14:04
Likewise - corresponded with Les a few times, and he was indeed 'a top chap'.

Navaleye
15th Jan 2009, 20:03
I would like to extend my sympathie to Les's familiy and family and friends. I only met him on PPRuNe and corresponded with a him a couple of times. I had noticed his absence and now sadly know why. RIP.

Mightycrewseven
15th Jan 2009, 20:49
Shame 51 couldn't organise a flyby for him.....

I'm sure 51 Sqn would if they could. Unfortunately I reckon 51 jets are desperately needed for ops rather than flypasts!

Condolences to Les's family.

nazca_steve
16th Jan 2009, 04:45
Definitely going to miss Les. Like many others I exchanged many an email packed full of Canberra information and some brilliant cold war memories. I did have the brief pleasure of meeting Les when gave me a tour of WF922 over at the Midland Air Museum, and I have to say he was a real gent and top chap all round. I know I will certainly be keeping those emails.

All the best, Les.

Steve

peppermint_jam
23rd Jan 2009, 09:19
Very sad to hear this news. I never met him but had exchanged emails on many occasions. I have spent many an hour looking through his Canberra website.

My condolences to his family, he was a true gent.