PDA

View Full Version : Ghostly restarts from Hibernate

Loose rivets
14th Jan 2009, 16:20
This times she's sure. Certainly an unplugged and silent HP6000 was sitting there at 02:59 being good as gold. 03:00, away it went. Downloaded some stuff and installed it.

Saab said that Hibernate was as good as off, and certainly I've always thought that. We'll run one more test where both of us see the word Hibernating. But 'er indoors rarely makes this kind of mistake...to the point I wouldn't dare suggest again (for the second or third time) that she must have done. 'pushed me luck on that on.;)

Now, if it does come on line tonight, it would have to be a separate pulse from a clock system wouldn't it? After all, all it's got to do is send on "ON" pulse to come out of Hibernate, the electronics to do this would be minimal. However, that circuit would have to be software programed for timing, right? so not totally autonomous.

Saab Dastard
14th Jan 2009, 17:41
Hibernate simply writes the system state to disk, and turns the PC off. When re-started, the system will resume the state it was in prior to hibernate, rather than a fresh boot.

Both Wake-on-LAN and/or BIOS timer could be responsible for the early re-start. RTFM?

SD

Superpilot
20th Jan 2009, 10:33
I teach all family/firends to use Hibernate. In fact I program the power button to do it automatically.

Saves on unnecessary wear and tear of the hard disk.

srobarts
20th Jan 2009, 11:27
Do you have latest BIOS installed? We had an Acer that did this in middle of night, I kept telling kids off for not switching PC off. Only came to light after a guest satyed in same room as said PC and complained of being woken in middle of night by sound of PC booting! Updating BIOS fixed problem.
You don't say what operating system you are running. There are reports of Spyware Doctor waking Vista machines from sleep and hibernate.

Loose rivets
21st Jan 2009, 16:44
Saab's mention of a BIOS timer sound like the answer, though mounting workload and a wife, possessive of her new toy, have limited my time on that problem somewhat. (No, writing rubbish on JB doesn't count. It's therapeutic.:rolleyes:)

It was all to do with the Hibernate option causing the computer to be truly off, but since it only takes one pulse to turn a powered computer on, a very small signal from the Time-clock (using BIOS power) could do it. I'm surmising, but electronically, it could be the answer.