PDA

View Full Version : CHC Fixed wing op's

WhatThe?
14th Jan 2009, 15:48
Anyone have any info on CHC's African Dash-8 operations/sub-contracts?

I'm a Dash driver in Canada, and CHC seems to have the best rotation schedule for overseas op's. Have a young family and would love to see Africa and spend time with them!

Thanks,

PS: Any other companies i should look into?

alpha-b
14th Jan 2009, 16:07
They have a Dash 8 based in N'djamena Chad and it's a 6 weeks rotation On and Off,but don't know of the package

DASHER 8
14th Jan 2009, 17:03
As far as i am aware all their rotations are 3 months on one month off and you only get paid while you are on.

Farmer 1
14th Jan 2009, 17:06
They are based not a million miles from your location, Dasher. Give them a call.

Airfix1
15th Jan 2009, 02:34
Definitely 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off.

Very_Low_and_Fast
17th Jan 2009, 08:29
Read this before you pack your bags:

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/303257-chc-africa-closing-down-5.html

unstable load
20th Jan 2009, 11:43
The demise of CHC Africa has not affected the rest of Africa in any significant way. The Nigerian operation was always controlled out of Nigeria and Chad, Angola, Equatorial Guinea etc have all gone to Vancouver control.

The only contract in Africa that was "lost" is the De Beers job out of Oranjemund which was sold on to what has become Court Offshore.

As a Canadian you may struggle to get onto the Dash-8 mainly due to the bun fight between ACN and CHC and the resulting negativity towards Canucks. CHC seems to be no longer involved in any of the fixed wing stuff in Nigeria.

TheNews
29th Jan 2009, 10:28
VLF,
You seem to be in the West down there?
Curious did CHC ever manage to put a BM over there that has any clue what he is is doing? Heard in head office they were intending some Frenchies - that didn't sound like a bright idea to me - what are the current so called Managers like?

rwm
30th Jan 2009, 00:22
CHC Fixed wing operations consists of N'Djamena Chad, Kome Chad, and Douala Cameroon. The operation is support of ESSO and another contract is support of a Chinese company. They operate DHC 6 and DHC8, as well as one AS365 in Douala. Dash 8 fleet is rumored to increase.

Rotation is 6 and 6. Salary is reasonable, and good benifits.

Company had lots of changes, and there has been a major split with ACN in Nigeria, and CHC is no longer in management control of ACN operation.

Lybian contract ended in November 2008.

There are 2 French managers in Douala.

NDJ base is in the proccess of changing to new managers. One recently retired due to age.

Kome has no perminent Base manager, but has been carried out by one of the assigned pilots. It is a very small operation with one engineer, one dispatcher, and traditionaly had been 2 - 3 DHC 6 pilots.

Due to operational needs and customer requests, the entire operation has been changing.

As to how CHC treats it's staff, last summer they decieded to not give the fixed wing operation a salary increase, but did give the rest of the company an increase. The fixed wing operation is very small in the CHC operation. This was the first time that Fixed wing staff and Rotary Wing staff have not been paid on the same salary scale. This decision is not in line with Canadian Labour Code, and there currently are several complaints to various government agencies to fix this, as all comunication to CHC management has fallen on deaf ears.

As to bringing your family to visit, it depends on location you are posted to. Kome is not permitted as it is basically a prison camp.

Douala it is possible, but it is a very expensive city.

NDJ it is not recomended, as the country is still in the midst of a small war with rebels trying to oust the current government. With the dry season coming again, so will renewed conflict and attacks.

ROTARARY
30th Jan 2009, 07:08
Hey Mister RWM,

You is making it sounds so beautiful - maybe you is PR man from Hongcouver?
Hooorrrrr.:8

unstable load
30th Jan 2009, 12:29
Rotarary,

If you want to really get away with the quasi literate pose you are holding, then at least get the slang slightly wrong and carry the silly spelling forward too.

Utherwyse peepil wil thingk ewe ar joeking.

rwm
30th Jan 2009, 20:29
What I would like to say, and what I am saying on a public forum are two different things.

The CHC fixed wing operation has lots of good people, and has lost lots of good people.

The good people are despite CHC, and the loss of the good people is in spite of CHC.

That should point out my feelings, without going too deep into the mudslinging, and pointing fingers at that short little aussie.

Dauphin N5
1st Feb 2009, 16:55
I was even thinking of going and start flying airplanes again. But after speaking to my friends from “Armpit of Africa”, I’d rather stay here…

ROTARARY
27th Feb 2009, 13:26
RVM - are you speaking of the legendary barrafag?
Last word is he going back to fly the line - maybe the Geniuses in CYVR figure there is no way he can screw up to the tune of 2 million just flying the line.
He failed his instrument ride in Boundary Bay just recently - obviously has talent for nothing - predictable!!!

:{:{:{

Very_Low_and_Fast
7th Apr 2009, 12:21
Speaking to the reliable source in Richmond, I was told that CHC FW will survive (maybe).

:\