PDA

View Full Version : ATK0110 acpi utility

Keygrip
14th Jan 2009, 02:19
Now, regular readers (notice I didn't call you "common") will be aware that I *do* try to learn some of this stuff on my own. Today, I tried (again)...and failed...(again).

My compyooter keeps demanding that I consider downloading and installing a Windows Update which calls itself the "ATK0110 acpi utility".

I've done my Google search, found it, read it - don't understand a bluddy word of it.

Can anyone put it into simple English? WTF is the ATK0110 acpi utility?

Should I get one, would I enjoy one and, in fairness to Douglas Adams, what charitable organisations are available to help me recover after using one?

<<edit: Whilst I'm on the subject, the machine is also trying to convince me to download "Office 2003 Service Pack 3" - despite me using Office 2007. Surely that would be enough? There can't be anything to gain from downloading SP3 for a product that I don't use? Can there?>>

Bushfiva
14th Jan 2009, 04:24
It's the shim that lets the AiBooster program diddle with various motherboard settings. Asus motherboard, right?

Keygrip
14th Jan 2009, 05:01
ASUS motherboard. Right!!

That's the only bit of your post that I understood.

I have an AiBooster? Really? Is that a good thing?

Bushfiva
14th Jan 2009, 06:08
ASUS is a very tweak-friendly company: it provides the software tools you need to mess around with the clock speed, etc., without having to go into the BIOS and reboot. The software application is called "AiBooster" which may or may not be installed, depending on whether you installed the various toys on the ASUS CD that came with your motherboard.

My motherboard came with AiBooster, ASUSUpdate (BIOS update utility) and PCProbeII, which lets one monitor various fan speeds and temperatures.

If you're bored with a reliable computer, AiBooster lets you mess with clock speed, CPU core voltage and other things.

In general, ACPI is the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, an open standard to allow software to monitor and manage various power settings on a computer.

Parapunter
14th Jan 2009, 08:12
Keygrip, your ASUS motherboard should have come with a cd. If so, you could try running it & see what's on it - usually a host of utilities including acpi stuff. If so, you could run & install it to see if the update message goes away, but as Bush says, only if you're either bored with a reliable computer or irritated by the update message.

Keygrip
14th Jan 2009, 12:43
Hmmm, the mobo actually came with THREE CD's (this is America - everything has to be bigger).

"NVIDIA nForce 570 Series Support DVD" (Vista Drivers Inside)
"M2N-SLI Series" (NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Series Support CD Rev.225.02)
"Vista Drivers Upgrade Kit" (Official Vista Drivers for ASUS Motherboards)

I recall that when I first built this machine, I didn't run any of these CD's - for no other reason than I forgot (Duh!) - and everything ran just fine.

A recent meltdown due to Microsoft and Service Pack 1 for Vista prompted a new install, at which point I did try to run them - they all seemed to conflict with each other, and somewhere along the line an "nvrd64.sys" driver was installed and caused a BSOD with the error message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". This caused the machine to crash/reboot/crash/reboot....hence my decision to wipe all from the C; drive, format, start again.

Haven't run those CD's and it all runs beautifully again.

I was, however, prompted by my other thread "mobo & CPU temps" ( http://tinyurl.com/92pnlo (http://tinyurl.com/92pnlo)) to look for some way of the machine telling me what the BIOS knew about fan speeds and temperatures etc. - just so I could monitor, study and learn. Maybe it's all in those discs then?

I'll get to that later - when I've done a tad more research into what everything does (or, at least, is *meant* to do).

Thanks again, folks.

Parapunter
14th Jan 2009, 14:38
I would maybe look at the Vista driver update cd, drop it in, then explore it from my computer rather than run it & have a look-see what's on it. The first two cd's are graphics card bits & bobs