PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair/Aer Lingus debate cancelled on RTE

scousegit
13th Jan 2009, 23:49
Guys,

Is it me or is there something distictly fishy about all this now. It seems that MoL is not only battling the shareholders (there easy, its all about cents in the Euro) but it appears the Irish Gov't seem to make up the rules as they go along.

We all Know about the parachute payments slid under the table when nobody was looking and maybe somebody higher up is worried theres more to come out. At the end of the day its a battle between 2 companies/personalities/ego's and personally I think it will be the most hostile takeover in aviation history, but it will happen, like it or not.

Included here is an extract from the RTE website about the cancellation of tonights interesting debate, looks dicey to me, whet do you think??????

Airline CEOs' RTÉ debate is blocked

http://www.rte.ie/images/icon_audio.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:showPlayer('aerlingus_av.html'))Tuesday, 13 January 2009 18:52
The chief executives of Aer Lingus and Ryanair will not now take part in an RTÉ Prime Time discussion on Ryanair's proposed takeover tonight.
Aer Lingus CEO Dermot Mannion and Ryanair's Michael O'Leary had been due to appear together in studio for the programme.

But RTÉ said the Irish Takeover Panel, which supervises proposed takeover bids, had told the airlines not to participate in the programme. In a letter to RTÉ, the Irish Takeover Panel said: 'Participation by representatives of either Aer Lingus or Ryanair in the Prime Time programme would therefore result in a breach of the Panel's statutory direction to the parties.'

Aer Lingus said it was 'frustrated and disappointed' by the decision, while Ryanair said it disagreed with the ruling.

The programme still plans to broadcast a report on the proposed takeover bid which will be followed by a panel discussion in studio.

Roll on the 300 courses lads!!!!!!

racedo
14th Jan 2009, 09:22
Correct decision IMHO as the Takeover Panel have to be very clear on what is allowed or not.

Allowing it to go ahead could unduly influence a shareholder.

Govt appointed bodies like this and in UK as well do keep a close eye to ensure that the law is being followed and its not unusual to get involved to try and ensure the law is followed.

Dark Side
14th Jan 2009, 10:45
Scouse,

I am with you,all has gone strangely quite for the last month or just over. It seems unusual.---- Things a foot me thinks....:eek: