PDA

View Full Version : BA ticket/taxes refund policy

12th Jan 2009, 22:41
An elderly relative and one of their friends are booked up on BA to Florida later this month, and due to a medical problem, the friend is no longer able to travel. It is an ongoing medical condition, and is not covered by insurance.

The ticket she has is non refundable / non exchangable, but before they attempt to contact BA, I was wondering if anyone knows what the situation is with regards to the taxes and passenger fees part of the ticket.

I can understand why the airfare will not be refunded, but as a fair percentage of the total ticket price goes to the government and airport operator, I was wondering if any of this can be claimed back as it will be for a flight that will not be happening.

raffele
12th Jan 2009, 23:21
If you search the BA "Your Questions" database, entry number 958 discusses refunds. Basically:

1. Passenger and government taxes are fully refundable...
2. Do it online - ringing BA will cost you £30
3. On a semi or fully restricted ticket, the refund will cost you £15 online

And finally:

"This refund fee will be collected from any monies due to be refunded back to the customer from their ticket, dependant on the fare regulations, including taxes, fees and charges.
However, if the refund amount due to the customer is less than the applicable refund administration charge then no refund will be due to the customer."

I suggest someone help her process the refund. You'll need to log into Manage My Booking and there will be a link somewhere for refunds

12th Jan 2009, 23:31
Thanks raffele, that was very quick. :ok:

I will pass the info on.

raffele
13th Jan 2009, 17:23
No probs - happy to help