PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Netbook and Video

oncemorealoft
12th Jan 2009, 10:56
I have just bought a Toshiba Netbook N100. It has an Intel Atom CPU @ 1.60Ghz.

Overall I'm very happy with it, however, trying to play videos on the iPlayer results in the picture freezing and jumping. Videos played in Windows Media Player are no better.

Am I simply asking the computer to perform beyond it's capabilities or are there some settings I can change to allow video to play normally.

As always, your help and advice is much appreciated.

oncemorealoft

Bushfiva
12th Jan 2009, 12:19
I think you've got 1GB RAM in there, right? I'd be tempted to pop another 1GB in there and see if that automagically fixes everything up for you: it'll push the system from just below the sweet spot for XP to just above the sweet spot. I've no idea how easy it is to add memory to an N100, though. You're stuck with the integrated video and the unnecessarily slow hard drive that Toshiba choose to use.

You can also turn down the "fancy" transitions in the UI, but I'd add the memory as the first step.

Your cheapo netbook has roughly the same specs as my numbingly-expensive 4-year-old notebook, and I watch videos just fine at 1080p after adding RAM and a faster hard drive.

oncemorealoft
12th Jan 2009, 13:04
Sorry, I'm not very computer literate! Whats the UI please?

Bushfiva
12th Jan 2009, 13:26
UI = "user interface". You can dial down some of the eye candy such as drop shadows, etc. But if you're not comfortable doing that, then adding memory is the single most appropriate step I would recommend. Does your user manual cover the idea of adding memory? If so, it's a few pounds well spent. If you're not comfortable messing with your computer, you should ignore most suggestions until you've added a little more memory.

oncemorealoft
12th Jan 2009, 13:35
I have examined the RAM and there is no spare socket for additional RAM. Perhaps I can but a 2GB chip to replace the existing 1GB that is there?

green granite
12th Jan 2009, 14:41
Yes no problem, something along these lines
2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
CT912215

Module Size: 2GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •

Try this site for details.

Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CMW-i_CtiZgCFQETGgodQyDgCg#)

oncemorealoft
13th Jan 2009, 09:07
Thanks. 2GB memory ordered and on it's way. Not a bad price either (17GBP).

IanS-D
13th Jan 2009, 22:03
Just to put your mind at rest - I bought my NB100 last week and put in the 2gb of memory in place of the 1gb originally fitted (I had already bought the 2gb memory from Crucial for my Asus 900) it is so easy, just make sure that the memory is fully pushed in. Having upgraded I've had no problems with my iPlayer. :)

IanS-D

oncemorealoft
14th Jan 2009, 09:55
Thanks for that Ian.

The memory should be there when I get back from work tonight so I'll put it in and, hopefully, away I go.

How are you finding your NB100? Having looked at the Assus and Acer options, so far I'm pleased with my purchase which was from Staples (not usually at the top of people's list for PC bargains) at 266GBP.

oncemorealoft
14th Jan 2009, 16:33
Well, disappointment!

I've put in the new RAM in and the NB100 is seeing it but there is no noticeable improvement in the iTunes performance -- picture is still very 'jumpy'.

Further thoughts welcomed.

Many thanks

planecrazy.eu
14th Jan 2009, 22:52
Bumping up the RAM does not always make any difference.

If your system only ever uses 600mb of ram, then its pointless having 2GB's of it.

I ran XP with no issues on an old laptop by todays standards, with as fast a front side bus as is on the netbooks, but with just 512 of ram, why is it that these netbooks seem to do so bad with performance when my equal spec P3 machine didnt. As all specs are very similar.

In XP you can speed it up by getting rid of some visual enhancements, its in control panel, systems, and then one of the tabs, then performance.

You can try to set the visual settings to best performance, and then disable any services that you deem you dont need.

Disable any statup programs that are not needed, ensure you have the latest driver, ensure your anti-virus is not a resource hog.

I bet you could pull a few things off google for optimizing windows xp, using optimizing as optimiseing is an English term and thus you'll be better with the american way of spelling it.

I think you can do something with the pagefile too?

Or you can just see what you need on a laptop/pc, and see if linux offers all you need, and if so, install linux.

If you need ITunes i am sure you can run that via Wine on Linux.

If i was to get a netbook i would opt for the IBM, i mean Lenovo offering, the same spec, but they have a small OS that runs along XP that can be used for the net/etc that takes seconds to boot into.

oncemorealoft
15th Jan 2009, 08:14
Thanks for the advice Plane razy.

Will switching the 'wireless' function off speed up the performance for when I'm watching video?

Saab Dastard
15th Jan 2009, 09:38
The Toshiba website and support forums (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/SUPPORT_PORTAL/) might be a good place to try to find answers to your problem.

SD

oncemorealoft
15th Jan 2009, 11:46
Thanks Saab Dastard.

Already have a question on there but experience shows PPRuners usually have the answer soonest and I really appreciate the help.

I've disabled my AVG Free 8, turned off the Wireless, and selected "adjust for best performance" in the "Performance options" menu from the System icon in the control panel.

Video now just about acceptable although there's a slight 'wobble' occasionally in the screen about 75% up the screen. Watchable though.

With this all done CPU shows at around 65%.

I was having similar problems with BBCiPlayer and Windows Media Player. haven't tried them yet under the new settings

twiggs
15th Jan 2009, 12:38
Have you got your CPU running at maximum speed?
I know with the EeePC there is an app that controls CPU speed in order to conserve battery life.
Toshiba must have an equivalent, so just make sure it is set for max performance.

IanS-D
15th Jan 2009, 23:02
Sorry to hear you're still having difficulties.

Just a thought.....I once had difficuties like this and it was only resolved when I deleted my iTunes programme - suddenly Windows Media Player and BBC iPlayer starting working properly. I could only assume that they were interfering with one another somehow. I know you have posted the question on Toshiba's forum and I know it's a bit obvious but have tried contacting Toshiba's Custmer Support?

You asked about my Asus 900 experience - well earlier today I sold it on eBay for not much less than I had paid for it 3 months ago. I was very happy with it but for one thing - I kept running out of space when XP upgraded itself - the version I had was the 12gb SSD one which was partioned b the manufacturer into 4gb and 8gb with XP being on the smaller part of the drive. I know I could have stopped the automatic upgrades and done some other fancy footwork but I had neither the time nor the inclination to do so. Therefore it had to go. Otherwise it was an impressive machine.

Incidentally, I came across a cash back of £30 from Toshiba for some versions of the NB100 bought during January - the site is at Toshiba - Laptops Cash Back (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/laptops-cashback-2009) - worth having a look at.

Hope you get you problem fixed.

oncemorealoft
16th Jan 2009, 10:12
Ian, many thanks for the cash back link! That's paid for the memory and part of the PD air leather cover I got for the NB100. i owe you a virtual beer!

I suspect that you are right and it's iTunes that is causing the problem. However, that's where I get my movies from. I tried playing the movies/tv progs purchased from iTunes with the Windows Media Player but they don't work. Also, at the suggestion of someone on the Toshiba support forum, I tried downloading the VLC player but same thing.

Is there a way of converting iTunes formatted Movies/TV?

I can now play the iTunes programmes but to avoid the slightly annoying ripple that appears about 75% up the screen when there's a lot of movement, I have to reduce the screen size to about 2/3 of the screen so it's not much better than watching on my iPod Touch.

Would you mind sharing with me the relevant settings you have on your NB100 to see if by duplicating them can get any improvement?

Many thanks

IanS-D
16th Jan 2009, 22:06
Hi Oncemorealoft – Hope the cash back works, as you may have seen on the Toshiba website we can’t register for it for a few days, only then will we know for sure. Must be my Scottish background but I never believe it when I’m offered a retrospective discount until I’ve actually got the money!
With regard to iTunes conversion, I’ve never tried to do this as I have had very little experience of using Apple software and iTunes in particular. I’ve always had a bit of a negative feeling towards Apple ever since the compatibility problems I had a few years ago. Even my MP3 player and my mobile phone both use Microsoft software and are therefore fully compatible with all my kit.
I’m not sure what settings you would like me to give you – let me know and I’ll certainly tell you what mine are.
Incidentally, I found a support section for the Intel Graphics on the NB100 – you can find it by doing the following:
Control Panel
Intel GMA driver
Information button bottom left hand side
Support tab
There are several contact points there – might be worth a try.
Ian

oncemorealoft
19th Jan 2009, 16:17
Thanks for all the useful info.

Think I've done about everything I can without delving into areas that I don't understand.