PDA

View Full Version : TC to JAA conversion.......oddball rumor

TRey
11th Jan 2009, 21:17
Has anyone ever heard of the following:

if you have more than 5000 hours and a Transport Canada ATPL you could do a JAA conversion by writing just 3 of the 14 exams required.

Not sure what if any part of this may be true or misconstrued by the gent that told the information. Sounds a little like BS, but, I thought it was worth asking the question

TRey

BelArgUSA
12th Jan 2009, 01:05
I made a contract with Atlanta Icelandic in 2003... the Icelanders gave me a JAR ATPL Icelandic validation with a... FAA ATPL (747 captain), not a single written exam, just a simulator check. So, TC or FAA, if you have plenty of time and experience, and thery want you or need you... is easy.
xxx
They probably have a minimum - as you say 5000 hrs and ... whatever PIC time on type. I had well above these figures. So to my opinion, I would not get a headache about such validations or other licences.
xxx
Ever since I started flying airlines (FAA ticket) in 1969... I had contracts in numerous places in the world, the FAA credentials were always accepted and validations were issued for other airlines or aircraft registries... Flown many airline contracts in Europe... Denmark, Luxembourg, Belgium, Iceland... in Asia, or Africa, or South America... Never was my concern. You want me, here is my licence. You do not validate FAA...? well, then you do not need me - Good bye...
xxx
:D
Happy contrails

redsnail
12th Jan 2009, 10:08
If you read LASORs (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591) (big download) from the UK CAA SRG site you'll find that it is accurate.

Essentially, if you have a total time of a minimum 3,000 hours and 1,500 hours in command of aircraft greater than 30,000kg in primarily international scheduled or similar operations then you only need to do 2 exams plus a sim ride. (Air Law and Human Performance & Limitations)

However, your ATPL will be valid for G-reg aircraft only. If you want to fly for a non UK airline, you'll have to comply with that state's regs, (ie do the rest of the exams)

See Section G, G1.5 Note 2.

TRey
12th Jan 2009, 13:23
Thanks Guys:ok: