PDA

View Full Version : What jobs can FAA CPL/ME/IR get me? Low hours, non US!

tigermagicjohn
11th Jan 2009, 13:49
Sure I have seen some similar threads - not exactly found the one I am looking for though.

Firstly I know I can not get US jobs, due circumstances beyond my control, the only way I might be able to become a pilot (commerical), would be to go to the USA and get my CPL/IR and ME there.

(Also I can not marry any US chick, because I am already happily married with my Colombian wife)

I know in europe there might in the future be lower hour jobs available, however at the moment that might be complicated with some current issues with my class 1 medical. (other post in forums)

Now few points, I am not in extreme rush to complete all certs., have now UK PPL and 130 hours and FAA class 1 medical approved.
I am also in the situation that I do not mind to relocate, anywhere in Europe, South America, Middle East or Asia. (assuming that I can get work permit in some parts of south america because of the marriage to my wife)

This I am willing to move anywhere, and take almost any flying job, is of course if I could see it as a short term thing to get increased experience for better jobs in the future.
Also in basic I am not that concerned that the jobs have to big jet jobs, twin otters, Fokkers, any aircraft types would and could be of intrest.

However I would have low hours, probably around 300 - 400, within the next few years, with FAA CPL, IR and ME.
Because of my current age I would consider line training courses on A320, or 737 with 500 hours - however this would depend on future situation climate in the world. (No rush now on that part)

As I am european I would be able to work in Europe, however are there many N- reg. aircraft available for Europeans to get jobs with?

I am assuming that countries in Asia might also have commuter work available, at least I have heard rumours of this before, is there any chance for low hour FAA licensed european to get work in places like Asia or South America?

What would the difference be with TR and 300 to 500 hours line training?
I would never have considered this, but in my case age is a factor - that's why I would consider this as an option for me. Altough it would be my last alternative, and would try to avoid it has the pest if possible.

Please any decent and good advice would be very much appreciated.

INNflight
11th Jan 2009, 16:43
I got exactly those FAA licenses you mention and will start converting them to JAA licenses sometime in mid-2009, simply because FAA tickets don't get you any jobs in Europe if you're low houred, same as JAA licenses. :ouch:

Most N-reg'd aircraft in Europe which you could fly commercially are bizjets ( = not really good with low hrs ) and a couple of PC-12s and smaller stuff, so I wouldn't count on it.

If you have the right to work in EU countries only, stick to your JAA licenses. A FAA ATP in addition to your JAA license may make more sense when you got a couple of thousand hrs, so you could fly for more operators if you feel like it - contracting for example.

Good luck
INNflt

tigermagicjohn
11th Jan 2009, 18:07
The problem is that I am not sure yet for my JAR status, because of problem with pre op lasik, there might or might not be a problem for me to get the medical approved for JAA.

So I am trying to think outside the box, what other options could be available, and how.
My preferred choice to go and work and live would be Singapore.