PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Nigeria suspends long-haul operations

GAFA Pilot
11th Jan 2009, 02:56
From: Virgin Nigeria suspends long-haul operations (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/01/10/320906/virgin-nigeria-suspends-long-haul-operations.html)

DATE:10/01/09
SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence
Virgin Nigeria suspends long-haul operations
By David Kaminski-Morrow ([email protected])

Virgin Nigeria (http://www.virginnigeria.com/) is suspending its long-haul services to the UK and South Africa, pending a review of the operations.

The Lagos-based carrier will stop the London Gatwick and Johannesburg routes on 27 January.

It states that the decision will enable it to assess its long-haul services, adding that this includes the product the carrier offers.

"In the meantime our focus is on consolidating and continuing to expand our profitable domestic and regional flight operations," says the airline.
"Once the long-haul product review has been finalised, we are certain to return to the long-haul routes."

The airline says it wants to put a "truly competitive" product on the routes.

Virgin Nigeria has been leasing Boeing 767 aircraft from Icelandair Group's Latvian operator SmartLynx to perform long-haul services.

That'll no doubt come as welcome news to Arik Air (http://www.arikair.com/ArikAir/cms/page/add.asp?page=Arik-Airs-first-flight-to-London-Heathrow-a-success-&id_sessionlangue=2) whom have recentlly commenced daily flights between Lagos & London Heathrow... using a very nice new A340-500.

NIJASEA
11th Jan 2009, 10:34
To avoid the fate of so many Airlines all the Ceo's in Nigeria need to take a walk in the shadow of the Blue-tail Ceo and learn from the best. He has survived so long with all the disasters that befell the company. Learn guys..

.air
11th Jan 2009, 12:21
Is virgin nigeria a good airline to work for?

B737Winglets
12th Jan 2009, 19:29
Use your head man?!:eek:
If you see an airline calling off its major routes, does that not tell you something?:ugh:
Read more about VK and then make up your mind.:=

woodcoc2000
12th Jan 2009, 20:57
If you see an airline calling off its major routes, does that not tell you something?

well it wouldnt be the first time that an airline has called off loss making routes now would it?? If they are licked on those routes then may as well focus elsewhere.

ready to be corrected thoughhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

B737Winglets
13th Jan 2009, 07:48
Ok, no qualms.
How about when the same carrier is letting staff go in the hundreds????
Cutting routes, trimming ops??
I would think thats enough to safely assume they must be in some kind of trouble! Dont you think?

Localiser Established
13th Jan 2009, 10:34
It is called 'right-sizing'. Nothing wrong with that.

Give it a rest.

flareout BC
13th Jan 2009, 13:09
Their late morning Benin-Lagos service is subject to what staff say is a temporary, technical suspension. Dismissed by some as attempts to put a brave face on things, such marks a sharp contrast with the inspiration drawn from recent ops by the factory-new EMB 190. Cost cutting should help, as Associated get away with fares some 30% lower than VK did. Different models and brands and markets then, you'd suppose? With spending due for items like the E-jets, any easy way out for the airline looks remote to the average Joe who's watching, as we are, from the outside in

5N AREABOY
13th Jan 2009, 17:23
I heard crew morale is very low in VirginNigeria and the pilots are not happy with the CP and DFO who apart from becoming tingods are now been teleguided by a HR lady who treats the pilots as second class staff.Pilots are now facing kangaroo panels over flimsy reasons..

Virgin had ample oppurtunity to maintain a lead and it is a shame that the company is suffering this way due to bad management.

woodcoc2000
13th Jan 2009, 17:44
B737WINGLETS

you may well be correct. but watch the news one of these days and you will certainly see some company somewhere cutting back on both services provided that cant pay for themselves, and staff (barclays today cutting 2100 jobs).

Routes that are not making money are dead weight as are excess staff.. again i may well be wrong, but to say that virgin nigeria are in dire straits because they are cutting out the fat when absolutely everyone else is doing the same thing may be jumping the gun a bit dont you think??http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

B737Winglets
13th Jan 2009, 18:02
Well man,
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Let's just say i know a bit more than i am telling.
I give them a few months either they shape up, or ship out!!

woodcoc2000
13th Jan 2009, 18:21
P.M enroute..

flying paddy
13th Jan 2009, 19:00
Anyone who is interested in joining VK be warned they are a total waste of time. They hire you, spend around $100000 on you on training and wages for 6 months and then in a whim without warning let you go. Anyone wanting a free type rating this is the place to go.

Pilot management is nothing better than a joke, they have no problems in looking you in the eye and lying to your face. HR dept well what a joke, 20 people doing the work of 5.

This airline has very little future if it continues to be run in such a poor manner.

You have all been warned.

nuclear weapon
13th Jan 2009, 20:30
Its a shame and cant imagine i came close to joining tham before going to my present company. I thought they were downsizing in the hr dept and the overstaffed depts according to a friend. I know some of thier pilots and will seek better clarification on things before making further comments.
Arik will be the beneficiary albeit temporarily in all these mess that is before they run out of government money.

5N Pilot
14th Jan 2009, 06:27
Virgin Nigeria..Lol:D

atedo
14th Jan 2009, 07:55
a bad period in biz management; hope they find out where they went wrong and effectively course correct.:sad:

NIJASEA
14th Jan 2009, 12:21
Lets start at begining Virgin Atlantic gave Aircraft and support but raped VK on crewing, the charges for VA crew to fly VK aircraft on their days off while VK crew were kept on standby was astronomical. The Nigerian Govt cancelling a joburg flight to do a hajj run and when the flight could not operate grounding the airline. The company not having a marketing dept outside Nigeria. Operating Dubai flights with no connection to anywhere or having an agreement to carry on the pax to other destinations. A major fact is the CHANGING of aircrafts consistently and getting incompetent managers from the western world to run the show (nothing against western managers if they are experienced).I actually believed VK would set the pace in Nigerian Aviation but it seems we can only rely on AERO or ARIK to fly the flag.This is for the guys in VK it's not too late to turn the company around and be a Flag carrier worthy to be called that.:ok: Good luck.

seper
14th Jan 2009, 13:17
5N-AREA BOY

flimsy excuse is called discipline some thing held up high by VK crews!also lacking in most other airlines

B737WINGLETS

BA stopped kano a while back
virgin atlantic pulled out of port harcourt
Chachangi stopped accra
aero fled from Lome and Bamako
Bellview also fled from dubai and mumbai

For any airline to survive it would be suicidal to service an unprofitable route,unless you have a well of cash to burn,or state owned.

Aero laid of staff twice in the recent past
Arik did for technical reasons recently
Bellview has laid of staff in the past
BA is relieving 400 managers world wide including Lagos

its called airline economics,i recommend aviation buisness magazine to you,flight international /airways e.t.c only talks about airplanes,makes you un-exposed

FLYING PADDY

why would vk spend so much money and let some one go......................hmmm,and has this been the stock in trade?

can you expantiate?

LongJohnThomas
14th Jan 2009, 13:49
Seeper,
I realize that though you may work for VK, the inevitable truth would be hard to accept.
If you read as carefully as i have, you would understand that B737winglets mentioned that he may know more than he's telling.
I wonder why everytime we don't agree with something on here, it turns into a cock-fight??!!!!!
If VK is going down, IT IS!!! And nothing we do or say here will stop it.
I dont think this is a time to sugar-coat the situation, rather, find solutions to your obvious problems.
Arguing is not one of those solutions man!:ugh:
Anyway, just my ten cents there mate!:ok:

Twitcher
14th Jan 2009, 16:22
Not sure if relevant but B767 YL-LCY is currently at Manston having the Virgin Nigeria titles removed.

Localiser Established
14th Jan 2009, 18:21
LJT,
I'm actually very disappointed with your comments as I really didn't expect that from you. From what I understand, Seper wasn't having an argument with anybody. He seemed to explain the current situation giving examples of similar circumstances at other carriers.

And then to come up with
If VK is going down, IT IS!!! And nothing we do or say here will stop it.Considering the fact that this thread was started with a topic that happens to be the best solution to the company's problems, it is pretty obvious there is more to the animosity.

LongJohnThomas
14th Jan 2009, 18:58
LE,
I will apologize if you seem to think i have some underlying animosity.
I have none at all.
I was merely pointing out that given the fact that some here make comments based on what they can see, others make assumptions based on what they think they know.
It is obvious to me that those in Lagos can see for themselves what actually is going on.
Whatever propaganda we out here carry on about, are all wishful thoughts and not reality.

seper
14th Jan 2009, 20:53
Sorry LJT,dont work for them,failed assesment!got a much better paying job,i fly a 120hours mthly,in a place were sops,are non existent,and one guy calls all the shots,and i cant remember my last vacation,so i do envy VK,i confess!

I only queried the yardsticks been used for a distressed airline?

VK may or may not be distressed,but the yardsticks been used by some posts,are of course,and sounds like they have an axe to grind with them

l

LongJohnThomas
15th Jan 2009, 07:44
Seper,
Thanks for the update; sounds very familiar when you say 120 hrs and no SOP's!!! Hahahaha. You might say, i have been there and done that!!
Good luck man. Glad we can resolve our differences in opinion without resorting to brawling like is quite evident on here.
Cheers mate!

NIJASEA
15th Jan 2009, 14:11
Seper-LJT nice to see you guys can kiss and make up :ok:.
120hrs a month is that all you need a real flying job, eh LJT :}

LongJohnThomas
15th Jan 2009, 16:47
Nijasea,
Remember that the table keeps turning. The world is a revolving wheel.:D:ok: